#61 Ambling1

Ambling1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSonoran desert

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:35 PM

Shoestring,    This build got away from me and I did much more than planned. If you're still in the planning stage I recommended the two inch sidewall extension, and any in wall penetrations or wiring for future items and switches. I had ATC install everything on the outside that I didn't want to deal with. Best of luck with your shell!

#62 soulpatch

soulpatch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

Really a fine job and your extra bed scenario has been running through my head, usually late at night when I should be sleeping, and I have been envisioning something like that but with a fold up or down bed supported by the bed below it so both my kids have a spot to sleep when it's too wet or chilly outside.
Maybe a platform that will store where the window is for added security while away from the rig.... just gonna have to see the inside of a few to really know but I love your ideas.

#63 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:32 AM

Ambling1,

Thanks for giving us a tour of your camper today in Longmont.  It was really well built out and, from the thread, looks even more thought out than I realized from sticking our head inside the camper.  After seeing your camper and then driving up to Outfitter they looked really cheap in comparison.

Thanks again,

Eric & Traci

Boulder, CO

Edited by enelson, 31 August 2014 - 12:59 AM.

#64 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:34 PM

Not sure how the heck I missed this thread. I just read the entire thread. This is the cleanest build up I have ever seen. Not sure how anyone or company can top this. Really thought out touches, functional and looks nice too.

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#65 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:30 AM

Missed this first time around too. Very nice build-out!

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#66 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:42 PM

Excellent job. I did a similar rear step for my rig, but hinged it so the hitch was still avail. for when we take the boat. Great idea on the outside water drain, you have inspired me to retrofit the factory set up on my hawk, always wondered why the factory doesn't make it a usable water outlet.

#67 MANXMAN

MANXMAN

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:18 PM

Water Tank

The tank is NOT tight up against the front wall. It is set away from the front wall so as the water tank fills and expands, there is no pressure exerted to the wall.

Great bit of advice.

I'm also fitting my water tank up again the front wall of the camper and was wondering how much clearance you would suggest. The tank is only 12" high so I doubt it will expand too much when filled. Maybe 3/8 of an inch?

Edited by MANXMAN, 19 January 2015 - 11:21 PM.

2014 F150 S/C V8 4X4
2014 ATC Manx Flatbed Pop-Up Camper

2017 F350 S/C V8 4X4

2017 ATC Manx Flatbed Pop-Up Camper

#68 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:29 AM

Great bit of advice.

I'm also fitting my water tank up again the front wall of the camper and was wondering how much clearance you would suggest. The tank is only 12" high so I doubt it will expand too much when filled. Maybe 3/8 of an inch?

I've never measured the expansion on my tank but I know it does get taller. In my Grandby the tank is in a cabinet at the front of the camper. When the tank is full the cabinet lid lifts about an inch. As soon as I use a little water the lid goes back down.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#69 Ambling1

Ambling1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSonoran desert

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:03 PM

Manxman     The water tank in the camper is 8x16x39 and I held it off the wall 3/4". This water tank sits on the 8" side and flexes 3/4 " when filled to top.

#70 MANXMAN

MANXMAN

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:40 PM

Manxman     The water tank in the camper is 8x16x39 and I held it off the wall 3/4". This water tank sits on the 8" side and flexes 3/4 " when filled to top.

Thanks. Reading about water tank expansion in this thread has likely saved me some problems down the road. 

Seeing as my tank is 12 x12 x 32 I think it expand less than yours did, but to be safe I will fill it up and check it.

2014 F150 S/C V8 4X4
2014 ATC Manx Flatbed Pop-Up Camper

2017 F350 S/C V8 4X4

2017 ATC Manx Flatbed Pop-Up Camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users