#1 jrfromafar

jrfromafar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationCentral California

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:08 AM

I don't like the idea of a 90lb permanently mounted AC unit on top of a pop up camper even if it was a Mach 8 of only 8" height. That's the weight of a sack of concrete. But in some areas and uses, I'd love to have an AC unit. I came across this unit, which mounts to the side of a camper or trailer only when needed. Half the weight and when not in use it can be stowed away or maybe not even taken on some trips. A bit pricey - but maybe worth it?

http://www.coolmycamper.com

Not available in the States yet - but maybe soon? Seems like a better option than hauling around a sack of concrete on the top of a pop up camper :)

#2 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:38 AM

It looks interesting. I didn't see a price.

#3 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:41 AM

This works great in a camper. It's cheap and runs on 12 V.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=ITtlxjvLQis

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#4 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:44 AM

It looks interesting. I didn't see a price.

It's 599 British pounds!

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#5 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

They don't have dist in the us but they let me know about this place in Florida http://www.atlantiss...lar_3100ac.html

#6 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:52 PM

I have a Hawk with a small window unit mounted where the rear window was. I think it is about 5k BTU(previous owner did the install) it does the job just fine. When the temp climbs into the 90's and add the humidity(Texas Gulf Coast), I'm glad to have all those BTUs. Like you I didn't want any extra weight extra on the roof, plus I need the roof racks for surfboards and my canoe.

#7 jrfromafar

jrfromafar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

The ice cooler idea looks - well, cool ... but then, I imagine spending a bundle on ice if I'm remote. Doubt that would be practical if you're sitting in the middle of the Sahara Desert ... I think I'd limit my use of an AC unit to 120v hookup.

Still checking out Atlantis Solar - their "FYI" gives me pause :(

http://www.atlantiss...om/aboutus.html

#8 jrfromafar

jrfromafar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

I have a Hawk with a small window unit mounted where the rear window was. I think it is about 5k BTU(previous owner did the install) it does the job just fine. When the temp climbs into the 90's and add the humidity(Texas Gulf Coast), I'm glad to have all those BTUs. Like you I didn't want any extra weight extra on the roof, plus I need the roof racks for surfboards and my canoe.

I had a window unit for my fiberglass trailer which I thought was more practical than putting a 100 lb unit on top. I'd do the same in my Alaskan if I were heading into high heat & humidity in the southern states for any length of time.

Edited by jrfromafar, 21 June 2014 - 08:56 PM.

#9 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

The FYI is a bit scary.

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#10 Get over it

Get over it

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:09 AM

I emailed cool my camper,1 1/2 years ago. They informed me then not able to export and no plans of doing so.I had been involved in a 4wd van conversion and abandoned/ sold that notion.I found by ways of YouTube, some viable options for me (flat bed).Those were mini split ductless units and a recent find is a manufacturer called cool right (also YouTube)? I have plenty of real estate, as I'm mounting an 80 something keystone onto a flatbed. Price is very affordable. Awaiting response from tech depth in n regards to the terrain I may encounter etc....

Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Air conditioning, pop up camper air conditioni

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users