• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mangymarmot

mangymarmot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

Has anyone replaced their fresh water drain valve?  I just noticed yesterday that the valve is leaking around the plastic flange that comes in contact with the bottom of the camper.  How is the valve set up attached to the water tank?  Barbed,  glued or screw clamp ??  Any advice before I break something would be appreciated!!

2007 ATC Panther

#2 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:06 PM

Mine is a simple screw type valve but I suspect they've done things better now (Eagle 2003 model) but ATC replaced it for me last year and it was screwed in with 2 screws.  I think the actual valve part where the "handle" is actually lifts out with a  gasket that you can replace (that's was ATC told me to do when it gets hard to turn and lube the gasket).

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#3 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColorado Rockies

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

I think the actual valve part where the "handle" is actually lifts out with a  gasket that you can replace (that's was ATC told me to do when it gets hard to turn and lube the gasket).

Thanks for posting this, I bet mine is overdue, stiff and leaking a bit. 

Instagram

407 HP Supercharged 2005 Tacoma / 550W Solarcharged 2009 ATC Bobcat.

#4 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

The valves are very inexpensive, most rv stores have them. Takes 5 minutes to change.

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

Must be time for our annual valve discussion :) If you want can get one of these. http://www.ebay.com/...49c132c&vxp=mtr

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:18 AM

I installed a small brass ball valve as per one of the past leaking, broken, frozen valve discussions.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 mangymarmot

mangymarmot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:52 AM

Thanks for the replies.  The drain valve is simply screwed into the bottom of the water tank through the bottom of the camper.   I replaced the teflon tape and added a rubber washer to take up the space between the tank and camper bottom.  The fix will do for now until next time.

Edited by mangymarmot, 18 June 2014 - 02:55 AM.

#8 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColorado Rockies

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:31 AM

I think the actual valve part where the "handle" is actually lifts out with a  gasket that you can replace (that's was ATC told me to do when it gets hard to turn and lube the gasket).

I have the plastic type, do I just work the valve handle out? I bought a new valve just incase...mine is super stiff.

Instagram

407 HP Supercharged 2005 Tacoma / 550W Solarcharged 2009 ATC Bobcat.

#9 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:43 AM

Craig, thanks for the post. The next time I need to replace valve, I am going to look into the one you posted. Looks like a much better set up.

#10 mangymarmot

mangymarmot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:01 AM

I have the plastic type, do I just work the valve handle out? I bought a new valve just incase...mine is super stiff.

My water drain lever and drain body is completely plastic too.  I just twisted the complete plastic drain body counter-clockwise.  It's right hand threaded. The plastic drain body unscrews from the bottom of the fresh water tank.  The wood camper bottom is sandwiched between the fresh water tank and plastic flange of the drain. 

Edited by mangymarmot, 16 September 2014 - 05:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users