• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 viciousesque

viciousesque

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:46 AM

I'll be buying FWC Hawk in the next few months, as well as the truck to slot it into. I've really fallen in love with the new Ram 1500, but I'm having some anxiety that the half-ton platform just won't give me enough head-room in terms of hauling ability. I figure once I have myself, a couple of dogs, fuel, water, gear, and maybe some extras like a bike and rack, I'll be dangerously over capacity on the half-ton. 

Does anyone have any first-hand experience rolling a Hawk on the half-ton platform, hopefully maybe especially the Ram?

The current models have optional air suspension. Does anyone think that might could help me manage the load better?

Thanks!

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:06 AM

I'll be buying FWC Hawk in the next few months, as well as the truck to slot it into. I've really fallen in love with the new Ram 1500, but I'm having some anxiety that the half-ton platform just won't give me enough head-room in terms of hauling ability. I figure once I have myself, a couple of dogs, fuel, water, gear, and maybe some extras like a bike and rack, I'll be dangerously over capacity on the half-ton. 

Does anyone have any first-hand experience rolling a Hawk on the half-ton platform, hopefully maybe especially the Ram?

The current models have optional air suspension. Does anyone think that might could help me manage the load better?

Thanks!

Did you look at the FWC Fit Guide on their website?  It lists the Ram 1500, 2500, & 3500 as a good fit for the Hawk.  You can also give Terry Budd or Stan Kennedy a call at the plant.  Good luck.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 esimmers

esimmers

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

What options are you getting on the Hawk and how much other weight do you intend to carry? If you buy a Hawk with few options and travel light, a Ram 1500 or Ford F-150 will do OK with maybe some suspension add-ons. If your Hawk will be fully loaded (lots of options, full water tanks, food, gear, extras without worrying about weight) then a 2500 or F-250 makes more sense. Our Hawk has many options including refrigerator, stove, sink, awning, extra lights,solar, battery, 2 propane tanks, racks, etc. and weights about 1400 pounds dry weight. With our F-250, we can fill up the water tanks, throw in food, gear, put on the kayak and never worry about the weight. Of course, we only get about 13.5 MPG. So figure out first how much you're normally going to weigh and then choose a rig to match.

#4 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationExploring the western, USA

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

;)

ah heck, just put on another axle and throw a camper shell on the back and hit the trails 

26458230097_large.jpg

Thom

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon USA
2010 Chevy Express AWD Light Overland Vehicle
"You don't have to understand here, to be here." Charlie Crews

#5 viciousesque

viciousesque

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

;)

ah heck, just put on another axle and throw a camper shell on the back and hit the trails 

Thom

Now, that's the answer I'm looking for!

Edited by viciousesque, 23 July 2014 - 02:47 PM.

#6 viciousesque

viciousesque

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:53 PM

Yes, it may be on the upper end of the weight for a half ton, which means you'll likely need to upgrade a few minor things on the truck. But like my tundra, it still handles the hawk just fine. If you want a 3/4 ton, just get it... me, I'm happy with the half ton!

How loaded up is your Haw, Kilroy? For a number of reasons I prefer the slightly smaller footprint of the 1/2 tons, so my strong preference is to stay in that class.

#7 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

I also have a Tundra, air bags take care of lifting the load.  I was worried about brakes more than suspension. Good friend who is a ASE mechanic said the Toyota truck brakes are over sized and I would have no problem.  So far everything is fine with the Hawk on the Tundra. I did a weight check after I finished my build and I have 1200 pounds on the back ready to camp (CAT scale).

#8 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

This really isn't all that complicated....it's a simple math problem.

You mentioned Ram, go here for payload ratings:  http://www.rambodybu...rammlup1500.pdf

A crew cab 4x4 could have as little as 1,300 pound max payload rating. My Hawk with some common options was 1,340 pounds empty. Loaded on trip to Moab I stopped a CAT scale and my total added weight to the truck was 2,400 pounds. Two people, water,

food, gas and NO toys, bikes etc.

It's possible you could exceed your max payload by as much as 1,000 pounds. If your comfortable with that it is your call.

By the way the 1500 Ram has the worst in class max payload ratings. Both GM and Ford 1/2 tons have optional packages that are in the 2,000 pound range. I love the handling of my 3/4 ton truck and its 3,000 payload rating and wouldn't consider anything less. I would rather be under what the manufacturer recommends than substantially over.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#9 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

I'm close to what you want.  I have a Raven on a short bed Ram 1500 with no issues.  I even keep the water tank fully loaded at all time and it's my daily driver.  The Raven is fully loaded with water heater, compressor fridge, dual batteries, heater, sound system etc.  I did put in air bags before I got the camper but I'm not sure I needed them.  I only have them set at 5 lbs which is the minimum you must have.  I agree, the Ram is a great looking and riding truck.  Mine is a 2 wheel drive bighorn that I got on sale for $28k and it's fully loaded.  That's the only reason I didn't get a 4wd or 3/4 etc. because I couldn't pass up the $11k savings.  If you click on the my rig link you can see how it looks.  I choose the Raven because it fits the 5'8" bed like a glove and has a better center of gravity than the Hawk.  The Hawk is only 10" longer on the inside which I didn't feel justified having the bumper overhang.

Edited by BobM, 23 July 2014 - 04:39 PM.

#10 viciousesque

viciousesque

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:48 AM

I have every option that fwc offers, except solar. The tundra's are built like a 3/4 ton and handle a loaded hawk well.

Interesting. I've been a bit more interested in the Ram, but looked at the Tundra early on, just because the Tacoma is so well respected.

Do you load up twenty gallons of water in the Hawk water tanks-- that's like 160 lbs right there!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hawk, ram 1500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users