Photo
- - - - -

Pacific Side Baja SoCal to San Carlos, Las Pintas Zona Arqueologica

Baja Four Wheel Camper Hawk mexico las pintas cave paintings san carlos quatro casas

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

Hey WTW members!

Finally got some time to complete my trip report for Baja. Its my first one and feel a little wordy but oh well.

Trip was completed in the beginning of June. I traveled with my coworker Jacq in my 2009 Hawk atop a 2001 Toyota Tundra. Before the trip I had just installed and new Norcold 2 way refer and a flexible 100 watt Renogy solar panel paired with their 30 watt LCD charge controller. Hope you enjoy.

The goal of the trip was to experience a real life adventure in only 6 days! We planned for whatever may have popped up but brought no maps and only a plan to head to the pacific side of Baja where temps are not insanely hot. Before this trip I had done a few trips to the Sea of Cortez side and only passed through Erindira and Ensenada on the pac side.

Left on a Tuesday at noon from good old Redlands CA. Think I made it to the San Ysidro border at about 3 and of course had to go to secondary. Tried to make small talk with the agent but he wasn’t having it. No bother though because I was free to roll in no time at all.

I took off through the maze that exists just after the border and followed signs to Rosarita/etc. My original plan was to find a spot to camp somewhere between Rosarita and Ensenada. I figured there would be at least a small, uninhabited area or cheap campground but failed to see anything from the fancy toll road.

As the evening wore on I started thinking I needed to get off the toll and look a little closer if I wanted to find a camping spot. I got off on a random road and there were no appealing looking spots. I saw a familiar hotel called La Fonda which I remember because my buddy told me had a good stay at this place. Uninterested in wasting money on a hotel I continued on past some random orange signs. I continued down the toll and after about 15 minutes started realizing there were no other cars on the road. I figured it was dead because it was world cup and Mexico was playing Brazil.

After about 15 minutes more I realized I was wrong when I came to a dead end with construction. I saw a construction worker and with my broken Spanish found the road was close due to a huge slide and that the random orange signs said road closed to through traffic. So back I went to the uno libre which was actually quite beautiful and a surprisingly steep grade compared to American standards. After traveling quite some time I found a campground in Santo Thomas and decided this was the stopping point for the night even if it wasn’t my ideal camping on the beach spot.

The campground was $12 and included hot showers and surprisingly clean bathrooms.

20140618_071837.jpg

20140618_071849.jpg

My coworker and I thought we hit the jackpot with our camp spot as there was a market just across the street that said it sold fresh meat, beer and cigars. We went inside and inquired about the 3 and only came back with beer. I was also hoping to get some veggies but had no luck at the market. Fortunately there were a couple farmers passing through the campground with some freshly picked leeks. I asked the guys if I could buy some but they wouldn’t let me. Instead they loaded me up for free and wouldn’t even accept a beer.

From this point I knew I was a distance from the ocean and wanted to get coast side with a quickness so I went with what was familiar, I know I went against the greater adventure rules, but then again this is only like my 5th trip to Baja. I went and took the road to Erindira where I have been before but instead of going toward the creepy Coyote Cal’s I headed south right through the town. Last time I was here Coyote Cal told us there were some good off road spots in that direction, but without a map I didn’t know where.

So we are driving through this little town and I just feel like I stick out like a sore thumb looking like a giant ice cream truck. The funny thing is, none of the locals even batted an eye. Most of them waved or nodded their heads or simply paid no attention. Just on the other side of the town I saw an encouraging sign that had arrows in the direction I was heading saying “Playa Malibu.” Being from SoCal I was thinking sweet, Malibu beach here I come.

So we head on our way and finally I get to some darn ocean. This point of the Baja Pacific is pretty interesting. Its all basically farmland for like the first 10 or maybe even 20 miles. Looks pretty much like this on one side

20140618_085831.jpg and this on the other

20140618_093801.jpg

Quite beautiful in my opinion!

Here’s the first pic of my rig

20140618_085843.jpg

Here’s pretty much what that part of the trail looks like. Super smooth sailing.

20140618_093755.jpg

So after we pass the farmland the trail started getting good. Along the way we kept seeing signs that said “score” but we didn’t know what they meant. We kept heading on along the coast. There were many forks in the road leading away from the beach but we just kept staying as close as we could. Eventually we came to a place where we could not go any farther. It was a nice little private beach and it looked like a spot for the locals judging by the graffiti. Take a look.

20140618_100337.jpg

20140618_100244.jpg

At this point I wasn’t really sure what to do but one of my rules is to avoid whenever possible not going back the way you came. I headed back just a bit to the last fork in the road and headed away from the beach. I followed it shortly and saw another sign that said “score.” My buddy and I decided those were our good luck signs and followed through.

The road got even tougher and was really fun. My co pilot started getting scared because at this point she is starting to realize I have no clue where I am and she has no clue what my rig is capable of. To tell the truth neither did I as I am a pretty big newby. We went through some stuff where I finally couldn’t make it without putting it in low gear but I still had no real need to air down. We crawled for about two hours through ruts, hills, dips, valleys, rocks etc and were starting to wonder when it would end. It had been so long since we had seen any sign of life at all. There was no sign of ocean, houses or anything for miles. All that was there was a crappy dirt road with barbwire fences on the sides.

At about this point I saw a road tee off toward the beach. Eager to get back to the coast we headed down. The road was tight but consistent. Eventually we got to the coast but unfortunately it was cliff and no further trail. The site was beautiful and I probably would have just camped there if it wasn’t so early in the day and if I would have stocked up on beer. Here’s a few pics:

20140618_112720.jpg

20140618_112006.jpg

20140618_111900.jpg

I reached a point where the barbwire fence had fallen over and there was a smoother looking road on the other side. I decided I would try it but no sooner than I got on it we saw an old man with some sign I couldn’t read. He had the meanest expression on his face and was obviously cursing at us and yelling for us to get back on the road. We passed by as he mad dogged us while holding a giant butcher knife. Thankfully we passed right by him with no ill will other than a look that could kill. We drove about 5 miles more and finally reached a closed barbwire fence.

After 2-3 hours driving in the middle of nowhere we had reached a dead end! Not only that, we knew we would have to pass by the crazy old man once again. Hesitantly we turned around and back we went. We saw the old man who was making good time down the trail. Upon closer inspection it looked like the man was posting signs and repairing fence. As we passed this time we waved and gave him a smile. He did neither back but I’m pretty sure he gave a nod. What I still cant understand is where the heck he came from.

Frustrated at this point I haled some serious a&&. What took me 2-3 hours must have taken me 45 minutes. I feel like I really learned a lot about driving off road by do it in a frustrated manner. I got back to the point we had turned on before and took it away from the ocean further. The road really opened up and looked like it was a main road so we just hauled butt some more. We kept driving and driving and finally started to see civilization again. The tight mountain range opened up to beautiful green farmlands as far as the eye could see.

We finally popped back on to the uno libre in San Vicente. At this point I looked at the map in disgust as I realized I pretty much came back to the turn off for Erindira! Oh well, I learned that there were some beautiful spots and had a good time.

My buddy had been telling me about a hostel called Cuatro Casas near Colonet so I decided that would probably be a safe spot to work towards in case I couldn’t find another camp. We headed down the one to Colonet and saw the well-marked signs for the road to Quatro Casas, stocked up on beer and made our way. We arrived at about 3 or so and decided we had enough adventure for the day.

I paid the nice owner $20 in exchange for a safe spot on his private beach, along with a warm shower and unlimited use of the bano. I told him our adventure and he let me know that at the point where we ran into the closed gate we were almost to Cuatro Casas. He then explained that the gate was for cattle and that the sign said to close it after we pass. So I guess I didn’t need to turn back after all. Oh well, lesson learned.

Here are the pics I have from the spot:

20140619_102207.jpg

20140619_102222.jpg

20140619_102229.jpg

There was a brother and sister there looking to surf the great waves that Quatro is known for but they had plenty of time to talk because the waves were not happening. He let me know about what he had heard about good places in baja and let me read his book “The surfer’s almanac.”

The book pretty much explained that Quatro is pretty much the only safe spot in the whole are we were in there and that Baja really starts to get nice and safe once the uno starts making its way away from the coast in El Rosario. After reading this I decided that was where I needed to head.

Woke up early the next day and took a different way out to the highway passed the ShipWreck and popped out in Camalu. Headed straight down to el Rosario which took a good chunk of the day. Got some beer, finally found some meat for my copilot and some veggies for this vegan, topped off the gas tank and made our way to Punta Baja.

The road was wide and nice but completely rutted. I finally decided to air down expecting to be on dirt for the foreseeable future. I headed down the road at like 10 mph and was just tortured by the ruts. After like an hour I finished what I think is a 20 mile jaunt to Punta Baja and went into the small fish town. My copilot was hoping to score some freshly caught fish but it had all gone to town for the day.

We made our way south of the town and ended up running into some gringos in a mini van and a jeep. We both made camp and shared a nice fire and some dinner. Had a great night and were all in absolute awe about meeting others with a common interest in traveling. Here are some pics of the spot.

20140619_171221.jpg

20140620_090540.jpg

20140620_090640.jpg

Edited by Ethergore, 25 July 2014 - 09:23 AM.

#2 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:23 AM

So the next day I decided I was going to do what was said to be a super hard trek from Punta Baja to San Carlos. From all the rumor I was nervous and stoked at the same time to try to make my way down. As I am getting ready in the morning my co pilot starts to have issues. The issues started from her making the statement, “This body wont let me use the restroom out here.” I said “What!” She just could not make it happen. She was all go and all stop at the same time. You all have to remember this is her first trip to Mx and she is pretty old. She is also my coworker so I had to give a little.

I stalled for as long as I could hoping her urge would be greater than her body’s refusal but after an hour of fake-slow packing I had no choice but to , again, head back the way I came. Pissed off that I was breaking my rule again I hit that rutted road. I started going at 10 and had bump……bump……bump. I got frustrated and just slammed on the gas giving up on not breaking my sweet rig and then learned something……going fast is the only way to travel down rutted roads. The bumps went away and next thing you know I was hitting 45 mph! How did no one ever teach me this! I made it back to town in like 15 minutes and let my copilot drop the kids off at the pool in the squeaky clean Pemex station.

At this point there was no way I was going back down that road for the third time so we headed down the road to reach the turn off for San Carlos off the highway. We knew we found the road when we saw this:

20140620_110534.jpg

So a little background on what I was told about San Carlos. I was told you could camp at San Carlos, as well as, stay in their rooms and pay for bathrooms and hot showers, eat in their restaurant and drink from their bar all on the comfort of the beach in the middle of no where.

We headed down a wonderful road to San Carlos. It was seriously perfect until about the last 10 miles. At this point I learned about soft desert sand. I’m cruising at 40 mph and then I hit sand bank and the fine mist of sand just explodes all around the vehicle. You can see nothing when this happens. It was actually really fun.

So anyways we get to san carlos. We find this epic mecca in the middle of no where. The outside had some really nicely build Ram 2500’s in front and we knew we were at the right place. We stroll in and see a nice bar, a lunch buffet, a bunch of white people and we get a huge grin on our face. We walk up to the bar and then start to notice that everyone is just kind of looking at us strangely but not really saying anything.

I go to the bartender and introduce myself, tell a few jokes and tell the guy where we came from. I ask to buy a beer and the bartender says “Don’t worry about it.” He makes my copilot and I a “Baja Fog” which is a corona with a shot of tequila and a squeeze of lime. He then tells us how to drink them which is basically bottoms up. Super happy I ask about the camping price etc and he tells us to see the man inside the small store.

We go in there and that’s when we figure it all out. Basically San Carlos is now an all inclusive wind surfing destination. All the others there were flown in from all over and had all inclusive deals. That’s why they cant really sell us beers or serve us like a restaurant etc. They did let us camp for $10 and allowed us to stay for lunch with the bunch. They showed us all their gear and basically gave us their sales pitch. Overall they were super cool guys with a really cool operation going on for those who want to do some serious windsurfing. But for a camper like my buddy and I we were just a little disappointed we couldn’t get showers etc.

So now that we got the royal treatment we had to find a place to camp which was not that simple because it was really, really windy. We head down a short ways and that when I spotted another FWC Hawk on a tundra and an old school grandby on a full size chevy something. Instinctually I roll over and introduce myself. It turns out it was a fellow forum member TomasTierra. I was stoked to meet a veteran on my adventure who welcomed us like family.

We were instantly given the story of the area, lots of beers, snacks, warm welcomes, etc. We ended up chilling there the rest of the night and Tom and his buddy helped us find a nice spot hidden from the wind. During the night Tom told us about some cool cave paintings he was going to try to rediscover the following day and invited us to tag along. He explained that the road had been washed out and no one in the area has made the trek back in for about a year.

Here’s the great view from our spot that night:

20140621_135524.jpg

20140621_135534.jpg

So we woke up the next day and relaxed a little while Tom, his son and his buddy went for a surf. After that we made our way. We trekked through some really harry stuff, back tracked a few times, found some locals to point us in the right direction, added some new pin striping to out Tundras and Hawks but finally prevailed. We were able to find the hard to find spot and were rewarded with an amazing view of history. Here are some pics:

Here the rig after the journey:

20140621_182517.jpg

Tom, his boy and my copilot:

20140621_182527.jpg

paintings:

20140621_185746.jpg

fossils embedded into the rocks:

20140621_191447.jpg

20140621_191648.jpg

Tom’s rig with the “gratto” in the background:

20140622_084402.jpg

From up top:

20140621_193442.jpg

Super huge cactus:

20140621_193111.jpg

Unfortunately this was my last night. We had some beers, shared some memories and some food, had a blast and then made our way back home the following day. It was a Sunday and had to be back to work the next day. Left at 8 am. Made it to the border and went over San Ysidro against everyone’s advice because I got lost trying to find Otay Mesa. I rotted at the border for 5 hours on the dot. Got most of the way home and got stuck in traffic. By the time I got home after dropping off and unloading my copilot it was 1230! Long day.

There were lots of things I wish I could have included in this report but I think its long enough. Hope you enjoy the read. Hope it might help someone with ideas on where to go etc.

Thanks. 

#3 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:37 AM

Tomas who?????

Great to meet you ethergore! Glad you tagged along on one of Tomas Tierra's temultuous tours...

We ended up getting some good surf on our return to the point... The boys came through with some nice lobsters and halibut to chew on for the last few days.. Mac and I ended up going through Parque Nacional, San Pedro Martir on the way North. had a great camp at 9000 feet in the Pines of Baja..strange for Baja, but really cool!
45 minutes, including secondary, at Tecate..

I haven't been around here for a while, picture posting has changed a bit.. I'll try to figure it out and add to your report..

Hope everyone is Wandering safely!!

TT
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

#4 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:38 AM

Even my avatar has disappeared! Oh well, time for a new avatar, with the new truck and camper!
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

#5 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:58 AM

Interesting landscape. Thanks for posting your report!

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#6 soulpatch

soulpatch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:54 AM

Nice!

#7 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:55 AM

Tomas who?????

Great to meet you ethergore! Glad you tagged along on one of Tomas Tierra's temultuous tours...

We ended up getting some good surf on our return to the point... The boys came through with some nice lobsters and halibut to chew on for the last few days.. Mac and I ended up going through Parque Nacional, San Pedro Martir on the way North. had a great camp at 9000 feet in the Pines of Baja..strange for Baja, but really cool!
45 minutes, including secondary, at Tecate..

I haven't been around here for a while, picture posting has changed a bit.. I'll try to figure it out and add to your report..

Hope everyone is Wandering safely!!

TT

Good to hear some good baja stories, Ethergore and Tomas Tierra!  Makes me homesick for former haunts.

You mention San Pedro Martir.  Did you go via Laguna Hanson?  We used to enter from Hwy 2 at La Rumerosa and drive ~20 miles south to rock climb in the San Pedro Martir, aka Canon Tajo.   Ever hear of the place, Tomas?

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#8 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

Enjoyed the trip report, Ethergore! Aside from the wait at the border and the SoCal traffic, it looks like it was a good trip!

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

Interesting places and stories. Really liked the one about the fence. What are the odds of running into Tomas out there?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 soulpatch

soulpatch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:15 PM

My experiences with fences in baja and most of Mexico is to just make sure they are closed behind you..... 
And, if you run into someone tell them Cómo estás. estamos perdidos, sólo estamos de paso. Lo siento y gracias.
And then just do it! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Baja, Four Wheel Camper, Hawk, mexico, las pintas, cave paintings, san carlos, quatro casas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users