• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cabinfever

cabinfever

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

I'm new to this forum and would love some advice on picking out a truck for a used Eagle camper that I am about to inherit from my parents. Score!  Problem is, we don't have a truck.  We are on a somewhat limited budget so we can't afford the new 4-door long-bed Tacoma that we really want. I have driven lots of Rangers in my past and love them, and in fact my Dad used to haul around the Eagle on a '96 4.0L V6 Ranger. Looking around the used truck market I am seeing a lot of used trucks with varying engine sizes.  I'd like to stick with the 4.0 L V6 but I'm wondering what else people out there have been driving and what recommendations you have? Many thanks!

#2 dauntless225

dauntless225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationColton, Oregon

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

In my opinion I would find out the loaded weight of the camper and with all the stuff you will have in it, then find a truck that is rated for that load.  Being within your vehicles capacity brings peace of mind and much better vehicle handling. 

Kevin

FWC Granby 

68 Jeep M715 father/son project...

#3 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:24 PM

I have a 06 Tundra access cab with the 4.0 and a 3.9 rear gear. The 4.0 does the job, but there isn't a lot of extra power if you plan on towing or adding kayaks and other things to the roof racks, especially when you have a stiff headwind. I added Supersprings and Bilstein HD shocks to up the load capacity and they do the job, but I have always wondered if a complete spring pack replacement would be an even better option. Haven't ever weighed my rig loaded, but I have run some #s and figure the camper and gear adds about 1600+ lbs to the truck. I would like to move up to a small/med V-8 truck so I can tow my boat. Loaded down and running 60-65 I get right at 14mpg, I think a V-8 will do at least as good not having to work as hard. To answer your question, yes the 4.0 will do it, but keep it light and get a tranny cooler.

Edited by Beach, 26 July 2014 - 03:26 PM.

#4 cabinfever

cabinfever

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

Thanks!  It does seem to me that you'd want at least a 4L V6 but I'm not sure if anyone out there has experience carrying a camper of this type with something smaller like a 3.6. We aren't anticipating the need to haul much more than the camper but it would be good to keep our options open. 

#5 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:44 AM

We hauled our Eagle shell around with a '99 Tacoma 4 cyl 4WD X-cab. That was doable for 9 months as long as you didn't mind NO performance over 60 MPH!!

gallery_2684_767_420.jpg

Don't buy anything less than a V6. The new ones are great...even towing. Here we are at 7,000 feet after climbing the North-pass on the Wacoba-Saline Road. This setup averaged 13.9 mpg on the 315 mile stretch between San Diego to Big Pine, Ca.

gallery_2684_767_214774.jpg

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 23 February 2015 - 12:47 AM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#6 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:10 AM

I have a 4.7L V8 Dodge Dakota with an Eagle FWC.  It does ok.  The Dodge never had great power and I've had to adjust my driving habits a bit.  I have the manual 5 speed and I don't remember the rear end gearing. 

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eagle, truck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users