23 replies to this topic

#21 2Z Bundok

2Z Bundok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 September 2022 - 02:33 PM

Since I seldom camp where the ground is level enough for a free standing step ladder, I too went with a receiver step.  A fall at my age could be life changing.

attachicon.gif1step.jpg

I extended the treads and added astroturf to give da beagle solid footing.  The astroturf has an added benefit of collecting a lot of dirt.

Great idea! probably helps with wet traction too.  Suggestion for adhesive to apply to diamond plate?

Edited by 2Z Bundok, 01 September 2022 - 02:34 PM.

2Z Bundok

Truck Camper...The box from which we think outside.

#22 K7MDL

K7MDL

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, WA

Posted 03 September 2022 - 11:32 PM

This week I had a local shop build me a step platform that is welded to a short hitch extender.  It has 2 top plates. One small and a larger one that connects to a 30" high scissor steps.  Works with or without a trailer.  2" steel pipe and steel plate with wide non-skip tape applied, very sturdy and rattle free.  It is 37" to my door threshold.   I can now choose to enter forward or backward.

https://www.wanderth...-step/?p=273020

2016 F-150 FX4 XLT SCab | Ingot Silver | 6.5' | 3.5EB | 3.55 w/rear locker | Tow | IBC | 7050# GVWR | 1945# Payload | 36Gal | BFG A/T KO2 LT275/70R18E | Timbrens

2022 FWC Hawk Silver Spur | Front Dinette | Cassette Toilet | Cooktop | Hot Water | Outside shower | CR850 fridge | 160W rooftop solar panel | 15A MPPT controller | Dual 90AH AGM batteries | Yakima Rack | 2 Maxxair fans | Furnace | Fiama side awning | Mechanical Jacks

#23 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 02:17 PM

I started out with the Brophy steel 2-step, but you have to remove it while driving or it scrapes the ground at times. I designed an aluminum 2-step that allows one to fold the lower step up, but it blocked the license plate and I did not want a hassle from LEO, and it was too wobbly. Right now I have a large wood step attached to the hitch, and then use a smaller plastic folding step stool for the second step. I use U-bolt style hitch brackets to prevent wobble. I love the large wood step, but the folding step is a bit small and on the hunt for a larger one...

i-WHTSHt4-X2.jpg

i-Qj66CnK-X2.jpg

Another idea I have kicking around on my head is to attach the Little Giant steps to brackets under the rear edge of the camper floor so that it swings up and stows against the camper door while driving and swings down at camp. However, quite a few times I've camped on slopes and uneven surfaces and this would present a problem for such a design. Still, I might give it a try.

Edited by BlueSky, 05 September 2022 - 02:21 PM.

#24 5outta6

5outta6

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 20 October 2022 - 03:23 PM

I can use my old motorcycle carrier as a bumper and step...(I put a piece of wood on it to level it with the sides when using it). I still have to use a little foldable step with this.

Attached Thumbnails

• carrierbumper19oct22a.jpg

Ford F150 super crew, ATC Ocelot shell, Icom 706MKIIG,  AC6GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users