• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:35 PM

I have read the 50 page 'thingie' string, the recall info and the inside outside debate. 

I want to install 45lb lifts on my 2011 eagle. I read the FWC pdf saying nothing over 40lbs should be used.

But also see folks with 80 lb struts installed. 

My questions are:

1) where is the best place to buy the 40" , 40-45 lb struts.

2) where does one buy the new hardware that is now being used (with the 2 screw mounts)? I refer not to the recall kit from FWC but a new install from an online source. 

As I have a solar panel, Yakima tracks and bars and a small rack, (I'd always take boats off before lifting the roof) I was wondering

3) what the advice would be for strut lift pounds. 

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#2 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

We have a solar panel and full length tracks mounted to our roof. 30 lb struts, two front and two rear. With the roof as is my 5'1" wife can lift the top. When we take the kayaks, we unload them before popping the roof. But we leave the rack bars and two sets of Malone Seawings on the roof. As a guess, thats about 50 lbs. I can lift the roof like that but it takes a little effort. I think the concern about not have too much lift is more for lowering the roof. It won't drop due to gravity so you actually have to pull it down. Marty told me the locking end panels are not designed for that and it could break them. I t is best to pull down on the boards that you push up on when lifting the roof.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

I installed "outside" #40 struts,as posted on the "thingie" thread.

I was carrying a #60 canoe plus a small solar panel and had no problem with raising the roof with the canoe in place.

Now that I don't carry the canoe the roof is a snap to lift. Lowering is different but for the front I close the door and use the fantastic fan to help pull out the air and bring in the liner and pull as little on the front bar. Using the push bar overhead to do the pushing.

IMO stronger struts aren't necessary.

I ordered mine through Suspa.com the maker of the struts.They have all the necessary parts.

Mine are mounted using the angle brackets and have had no problems in almost 5 years of use.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

I'm not sure if things are the same today, however, back in 2011, the odd ball numbers in pounds were very expensive (about 3x to 4x as expensive) and were custom built with a fairly long delivery time (4-5 weeks). The 30, 40, & 60 pounds of lift were easy to find and relatively inexpensive. It was the 35, 45, 50, 55 pounds of lift that were the custom sizes.

I have the external, dual, 2 on the front and 2 on the back, 30 lbs. each, gas struts. Works OK with nothing except the solar panel on the front and empty Yakima racks on the mid to back section. When I have the kayaks (28 lbs, each, sometimes only two kayaks, sometimes all 4 of them) on the top, it's either unload the kayaks before lifting (not always desirable when I'm in transit to a long away from home destination), or, I just use the "speaker stand lift thing" for both raising and lowering with the kayaks on the top.

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:31 PM

, or, I just use the "speaker stand lift thing" for both raising and lowering with the kayaks on the top.

I have always felt it's good to have some extra sort of lifting devise along also.

Sure saves the back.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:58 PM

First off thanks a lot for all the above advice... I'd like to not be sorry I got the wrong application and this forum is great for avoiding exploratory purchases. I have the speaker crank lifter too. It has been great up until I installed the Yakima tracks and bars and a solar panel. I have started hearing a strain on the crank and know it is time to get the struts. My wife is 5'2" and can not lift the roof the last bit off the speaker crank to tie the strap. The question is 30 or 40 lbs. then. I definitely do not want to stress out the front lifter by having to pull it down when closing. So it seems that 30 would be the best? 

The angle brackets are not the same as the "recall" 2 screw plate with the ball studs? I have a 2011 Eagle so not sure which is a better one to get. (Do I have to go through FWC to get the plates or are they now part of the Suspa mounting/)

Thanks again

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:04 AM

First off thanks a lot for all the above advice... I'd like to not be sorry I got the wrong application and this forum is great for avoiding exploratory purchases. I have the speaker crank lifter too. It has been great up until I installed the Yakima tracks and bars and a solar panel. I have started hearing a strain on the crank and know it is time to get the struts. My wife is 5'2" and can not lift the roof the last bit off the speaker crank to tie the strap. The question is 30 or 40 lbs. then. I definitely do not want to stress out the front lifter by having to pull it down when closing. So it seems that 30 would be the best? 

The angle brackets are not the same as the "recall" 2 screw plate with the ball studs? I have a 2011 Eagle so not sure which is a better one to get. (Do I have to go through FWC to get the plates or are they now part of the Suspa mounting/)

Thanks again

Go to the  Supsa web site or call them for the info on what mounts and struts would be best.

IMO I would go with the #40 struts.

Frank

#8 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:34 AM

Go to the  Supsa web site or call them for the info on what mounts and struts would be best.

IMO I would go with the #40 struts.

Frank

We have the 40# struts and like them. We have a Yakima rack on top and sometimes a canoe or other load. I often pull the top down from outside rather than using the lifter board when there is nothing on the roof.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#9 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:59 AM

Just FYI.  I have factory solar and the Yakima rails and FWC installed 30# struts on the front and 20# struts on the rear.  With no additional load, lifting and lowering is easy.  Tough with no struts (as in when doing the recall yourself), equally tough with two kayaks on the roof.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#10 Oryguntroutbum

Oryguntroutbum

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:43 AM

I have a 2014 Hawk. I outfitted it with 40# struts front and back. I have the full Yakima rack with basket and a 100 watt panel. The 40# struts are perfect and sometimes I need to coax them down.

The ball sockets used are 10mm and can be found at a good auto parts/hardware store (not O'Reilly's or Autozone). They can also be bought online but I felt more comfortable grabbing them at a store where I could check and make sure they fit.

If you find the Suspa model number you can put it into the eBay search engine and find an off brand for a way better deal. I got two pairs of 36" struts for $29.99 per pair with free shipping. Work great. I definitely would not buy heavier than 40# with the new threaded system. If people are having problems with the factory install then I would guess heavier ones would cause damage much sooner. I ended up having around $100 invested compared to the $300+ charged by the factory. Good luck!!

Chris
2014 Dodge 2500 4x4, Cummins TD2021 FWC Hawk<p>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users