• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#111 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 December 2021 - 01:59 AM

You have to absolutely know if your 2008 Eagle is the same height as the 2011… I’m ‘almost’ sure it is 40”… but call FWC,,, then order from the Canadian co…. Great lifters and cheaper than Suspa. .

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#112 rs3o

rs3o

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2022 - 03:18 PM

I've got a 2011 Eagle as well and am looking into getting gas struts. Is there any reason not to put the struts on the sides? I don't plan to put an awning on the camper and I wouldn't have to relocate the front roof buckles or remove the drip edge over the door.

#113 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 February 2022 - 05:04 PM

I put mine on the sides, no problem, started with 40 pound units and it was to much, then went with 30 and just one per side diagonal. will install the others when I put the solar on. 

#114 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 February 2022 - 03:52 AM

I've got a 2011 Eagle as well and am looking into getting gas struts. Is there any reason not to put the struts on the sides? I don't plan to put an awning on the camper and I wouldn't have to relocate the front roof buckles or remove the drip edge over the door.

You should not have to move anything to put the struts on the front/back.  

#115 rs3o

rs3o

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2022 - 04:45 PM

You should not have to move anything to put the struts on the front/back.  

I you look at the OP's installation PDF, he moved his front roof buckles and and trimmed the drip edge on the back. We have the same year/model so I would have to do the same.

#116 J D

J D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationE. Washington

Posted 04 March 2022 - 06:00 PM

For what it's worth, I'm adding two 180W panels to the roof and will be upgrading the lift assist - MAYBE.

My new FWC Granby has Suspa C16-15952 gas struts in front which are 40#. Those can easily be exchanged with model C16-10198 at 60#. Both are 35.43" extended, 19.29 compressed

On the rear are struts from mygassprings.com. They're model ST363P-31. I just called the company (located in California) to inquire about the part since their web site wasn't specific. The very nice woman I spoke to said that shock has these specs: 36.3" center to center extended length, 19.8" compressed, and rated at 31#. She said that strut does not come in different psi ratings but that they do have other models with 36" extended length. We discussed their return policy and I may order the 36" struts and see if they will fit/replace the 36.3". A pain in the you know what. I don't want to have to modify the mounts on the camper. Might have to go with the speaker stand but I really don't want to haul more stuff.

Makes me wonder why FWC used two different but somewhat similar gas struts on the same camper.

2021 FWC Granby shell

2007 Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton diesel long bed

#117 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 04 March 2022 - 07:55 PM

Probably a supply issue. My 2021 Grandby came with 30 lb Suspa all around. I installed 40 lb Suspas all around after installing two 200 watt panels (total 53 lbs added).

I bought my Suspa struts via Amazon for less than half the price of the Suspa web site, but that means the warranty is shorter. Suspa gives a longer warranty if you buy from them. I decided I’d rather save the money for any necessary replacements.

Edited by Jon R, 04 March 2022 - 07:58 PM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#118 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 March 2022 - 02:20 PM

The quality of gas springs has gone waaaaay down.

Order from Gemini Gas Springs out of Canada. Henk, the owner, is very amiable & knows exactly what FWC needs.

Delivery takes a while, as he's way back up on orders.

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

#119 J D

J D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationE. Washington

Posted 07 March 2022 - 04:08 PM

Probably a supply issue. My 2021 Grandby came with 30 lb Suspa all around. I installed 40 lb Suspas all around after installing two 200 watt panels (total 53 lbs added).

I bought my Suspa struts via Amazon for less than half the price of the Suspa web site, but that means the warranty is shorter. Suspa gives a longer warranty if you buy from them. I decided I’d rather save the money for any necessary replacements.

Jon, do you find the 40 psi struts adequate? The panels I'm installing (1 done, 1 to go) will be about the same weight as yours - slightly heavier. I was thinking going to 60 psi would be a good choice but it's kind of a guessing game. 

2021 FWC Granby shell

2007 Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton diesel long bed

#120 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 07 March 2022 - 06:01 PM

I went through the same question of which struts to buy when I decided the original 30 lbs ones were not adequate after I installed my solar panels. I thought Suspa had 50 lb ones at the time, but I may have just assumed that without checking. Anyway, I knew 40 lbs was going to be plenty for the rear because 30 lbs was almost fine after I installed the panels. So I ordered one pair of 40 lb Suspas via amazon so I could try them out on the front, figuring I could buy 50 lb struts for the second pair of I decided 40 was inadequate for the front (again, maybe my only choice was actually 40 vs 60). I decided 40 was adequate in the front and then ordered a second pair of 40s for the rear.

The more weight you add to the roof, the tougher the initial several inches of lift will be, particularly for the front because you are lifting 5 feet from the front edge, regardless of the struts you install. This is because they give you no assistance when they are near horizontal. You are stuck with that. With the 40s installed, when I go to lower the roof I have to pull a bit on the push board to get the front to come down the first 8 to 10 inches, and then it wants to come down on its own. The rear I have to pull about halfway down before it wants to lower on its own. I think that’s a pretty good balance.

A final importation note: it was only later that I discovered there is a warning in red print in the owner’s manual for my 2021 Grandby that says do not install struts with greater than 40 lb rating. I’m sure this is because of the limited strength of the attachment of the strut fittings to the roof. I would not recommend installing 60 lb struts due to this warning.

Edited by Jon R, 07 March 2022 - 06:06 PM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users