26 replies to this topic

#1 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

This is a Public Safety announcement

The bottom line…Check your circuits for fuses. No fuses...Don't delay...Have them installed before there is a fire'

The story…..

I have an Eagle shell with lights, Fantastic Fan, 12 volt accessory ports. When I added the top-loading Engle refrigerator I had my local shop run a dedicated line and port just for the Refer. The installer added an in-line 10 amp fuse.

My brain processed that fact at the time…….Never giving thought that the rest of the circuits (fan, lights, or 12 volt plugs)  are NOT-fused…

Than I thought back about an event 6 months ago… purchased a 12 volt tire compressor to air back up when returning to pavement after letting air out of tires when in the back country. Plugged into the accessory port in truck…turned it on…and blew the 15 amp fuse. Replaced the fuse.

Then plugged it into the 12 volt port in camper…..compressor worked fine….and I wondered about that…for a few months……I must be getting old as the brain is not functioning.

I reviewed the specs on the compressor…It draws 20 amps !!! No wonder it blew a fuse in the truck….and it didn’t blow the fuse in the camper because there is NO FUSE.

The good Lord was looking out for me as I could have (should have ) had a fire.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 30 August 2014 - 08:56 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#2 JimW

JimW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCentral Valley, California

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:25 PM

I have a 2012 Hawk shell purchased new and installed at the factory. Mine has multiple fuses installed by FWC. A 30 amp under the hood, a 5 amp going to my factory installed 12v accessory plug and another unknown but factory installed. I think it's for the solar plug but I can't see the rating as it's turned the other way. You might want to check again.

Edited by JimW, 30 August 2014 - 11:29 PM.

#3 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:04 AM

Great that you have one, Jim....please reply with a photo of yours if you have one.

I shall take a picture and post it here...No fuse panel....I don't have the iOTA converter panel either on my 2012 Eagle. If the panel was optional at the time I bought my shell I didn't know it ...or I would have purchased it

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 31 August 2014 - 12:08 AM.

Jim

#4 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:43 AM

See picture of battery compartment 

gallery_2684_425_13410.jpg

In this photo the reader can see the Three white wires connected to the push/pull main switch. Two on right are "Hot" wire and dedicated fused circuit for compressor fridge. Single white wire on left is combined(lights, fan, 12 volt outlet) NOT-fused circuit.

gallery_2684_425_10278.jpg

And the panel above the wheel well housing - clean no fuse panel...

gallery_2684_425_344.jpg

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 17 September 2014 - 03:20 PM.

Jim

#5 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:51 AM

Looks like you only have one circuit breaker. 

#6 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:01 AM

Yes Bill just the pull/push silver topped main one....

Wonder how many more are like mine??

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 31 August 2014 - 03:08 AM.

Jim

#7 JimW

JimW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCentral Valley, California

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:17 AM

Looks like we have a similar set up. What I'm calling a fuse is really a circuit breaker (electrical protection) With the inline replaceable 5 amp fuse protecting the accessory port. I would say that FWCampers leave the factory with all the necessary components and protection in place

#8 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:23 AM

Jim this is your circuit breaker. You will need to look at it to see the size, amps.

gallery_1903_734_5748.jpg

#9 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

JimW,

I asked Brenda at FWC for the recommended fuse sizes. She said 10 amp for the fan and lights and 15 amp for the 12 volt plugs.

The two white  (pos) wires going to the push/pull main switch are 10 gauge....I haven't identified the devices they are attached to, however I believe one is the fan and the other is the incandescent light fixtures that I converted to LED.

I have access to the 12 volt plug wires however they appear to be 18-20 gauge ...not 10-12 gauge which is reason fuse rating is 5 amp . These wires do not connect to the push/pull switch so they appear to be "spliced" into the fan or light circuit (will check this out this week).

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 25 February 2015 - 09:58 PM.

Jim

#10 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:42 PM

Stupid question: how is one of those circuit breakers different from a fuse?

I see that I have a circuit breaker (which I think protects the lights). Everything else is behind removable blade fuses.

2012 Eagle Shell with a few extras

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users