#1 madhatt

madhatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:49 PM

After several months of searching, I finally found a Four Wheel Camper Grandby. I drove ~1900 km to Flathead Lake, Montana to pick it up.

Here's a map of the route: https://goo.gl/maps/hVwtG

It was a bit of a rushed trip, so I didn't have much time for photos. I'm already making a list of things that I want to do to this camper.

One of the immediate items to fix is the front lift panel (it's rotting, hard to lift and the roof sags at the front as a result). I also plan to install a roof rack, as I want to take my canoe and skis (in a rocket box) with me when I travel. I'd like to add gas strut lift assist thingies as well, which may be the solution to my front lift panel issue. I'll also need to sort out a better tie down option, currently the eyebolts are too close to my bed-side to use chains without damaging the box. The rear door is missing the bottom piece of framing, and some wood is hanging out there. Finally, this camper has no heating. I'd like to insulate the pop-up sides, and I'm interested in fitting a tiny Fatsco woodstove in the back corner where the pantry/closet currently is. A nice dry heat would be appreciated after a long wet day outside in the winter.

If anyone has any advice, let me know I'd be glad to hear it.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• FWC-Flathead_Lake.jpg

Edited by madhatt, 04 September 2014 - 09:44 PM.

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:22 PM

That's a nice project you are getting into.

Put up pictures when you can.

The gas struts are nice but I am not sure you would want to rely on them to hold up the roof.

Have fun.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Tetonrvr

Tetonrvr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMONTANA

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:07 AM

SO you got that one,  A buddy and me were very and I mean very close to heading over there to go look at it.  (which means I would have ended up bringing it home for him...) 

congrats!

#4 madhatt

madhatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:43 AM

I am glad that I jumped on it. The seller had lots of folks interested, the first fellow showed up with a Tundra and the camper wouldn't fit in the box. Luckily the seller was kind enough to hold it for me, so I took the boat rack off my truck, and immediately left for Montana. I ended up getting it $100 cheaper, since the Mr. Buddy heater wasn't included. I left home around 4PM, finally stopped around 1AM near the US border in Elko, BC. I drove down a random forestry road until I saw Blue Bottom Lake on the map, nobody was there so we started a campfire and lit the BBQ for late night steak dinner. I ended up sleeping on two 4'x8'x2" foam sheets in my truck box, looking up at the star lit sky. Glad I bought the insulating foam, as the 4" is exactly what I needed to clear my cab roof.

Had a chance to take it out to the Kootenai region of BC this past weekend. Stayed at the Eagle Bay and Box Lake Forestry Recreation Sites, dropped by the New Denver Garlic Festival. I removed the old foam cab-over mattresses, they are done (mildew) - slept on a Therm-a-Rest instead -  no more foul odour in the camper. We also stopped at the St. Leon hot springs near Nakusp - what an amazing place. It's on private land, and it's recently been bought by a new owner. I hope they will still allow the public to hike in and use the springs. The old laneway was deactivated, and a fellow wearing a Sheriff's badge drove by on a Gator and explained that they had to block the road as too many people we're leaving garbage on the premises.

I haven't been able to test the stove or fridge yet, since the propane tank is the original horizontal one - and I can't get it filled in Canada. Is the only option to purchase a new $250 tank? That seems outrageous, especially considering how much I paid for the camper.

Here's the route: https://goo.gl/maps/ZtuuW

Eagle Bay:

IPm4hbS.jpg

MZhEP5z.jpg

GszNp9B.jpg

vuA0onA.jpg

Box Lake:

Ks96puI.jpg

YKr1Hii.jpg

qpMb2xv.jpg

#5 madhatt

madhatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:05 PM

I currently have two 2" thick 4x8 sheets of insulating foam under the camper, which raises it enough to clear the cab of my truck. Should I be concerned that the bottom plywood of the camper isn't getting any airflow? It's raised 4" off the truck bed, so it shouldn't be sitting in water anyhow. Also, the manufacturers recommend a rubber mat beneath them -- which would also restrict airflow.

#6 180pilot

180pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:18 PM

I am glad that I jumped on it. The seller had lots of folks interested, the first fellow showed up with a Tundra and the camper wouldn't fit in the box. Luckily the seller was kind enough to hold it for me, so I took the boat rack off my truck, and immediately left for Montana. I ended up getting it $100 cheaper, since the Mr. Buddy heater wasn't included. I left home around 4PM, finally stopped around 1AM near the US border in Elko, BC. I drove down a random forestry road until I saw Blue Bottom Lake on the map, nobody was there so we started a campfire and lit the BBQ for late night steak dinner. I ended up sleeping on two 4'x8'x2" foam sheets in my truck box, looking up at the star lit sky. Glad I bought the insulating foam, as the 4" is exactly what I needed to clear my cab roof.

Had a chance to take it out to the Kootenai region of BC this past weekend. Stayed at the Eagle Bay and Box Lake Forestry Recreation Sites, dropped by the New Denver Garlic Festival. I removed the old foam cab-over mattresses, they are done (mildew) - slept on a Therm-a-Rest instead -  no more foul odour in the camper. We also stopped at the St. Leon hot springs near Nakusp - what an amazing place. It's on private land, and it's recently been bought by a new owner. I hope they will still allow the public to hike in and use the springs. The old laneway was deactivated, and a fellow wearing a Sheriff's badge drove by on a Gator and explained that they had to block the road as too many people we're leaving garbage on the premises.

I haven't been able to test the stove or fridge yet, since the propane tank is the original horizontal one - and I can't get it filled in Canada. Is the only option to purchase a new $250 tank? That seems outrageous, especially considering how much I paid for the camper.

Here's the route: https://goo.gl/maps/ZtuuW

Eagle Bay:

IPm4hbS.jpg

MZhEP5z.jpg

GszNp9B.jpg

vuA0onA.jpg

Box Lake:

Ks96puI.jpg

YKr1Hii.jpg

qpMb2xv.jpg

I was able to get this sticker from a marine supply. Because Horizontal tanks were exempt as no valve was made for them at time of regulation change. Don't know if it will work in Canada?  But was still using mine up to 

about a year ago.

imag0184-48245856.jpg?ts=1411157865

Edited by 180pilot, 19 September 2014 - 08:31 PM.

#7 180pilot

180pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:29 PM

imag0184-48245856.jpg?ts=1411157865

No filling stations, gave me any grief when they saw this decal on old tank.

But finally replaced mine with new OPD which won't hold as much propane for about  $180 US.

Edited by 180pilot, 19 September 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#8 180pilot

180pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:04 PM

Have also seen these that came from a Propane dealer:

IMG00019.jpg

#9 180pilot

180pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:27 PM

Tried searching all over net for any business with the sticker no luck yet, but found this printable pdf version.  If you print it out and carefully over tape it on cylinder to look official should work. Or print on good photo paper and glue on, then overspray with fast drying clear poly.

http://www.toyotamot...n-OPD_Label.pdf

How many yrs. do they make you re-certify tanks up there?

Edited by 180pilot, 19 September 2014 - 09:42 PM.

#10 madhatt

madhatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:02 PM

I am pretty sure there are no exemptions here -- all tanks under 40lbs require the OPD valve. Re-certification is every 10 years. Luckily there was already some 'pane in my tank, so I was able to use my 3-way fridge this past weekend. Kept my beers cold the whole trip, excellent!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grandby, project, four wheel camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users