• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jbriscoe

Jbriscoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:45 AM

Anyone put regular camper jacks on an alaskan? The old school kind on all four corners? I'm tired of the instability of the tripod type.

#2 caseboy

caseboy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Locationkey center,wa.

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:29 AM

i did. the jacks help me a lot when i'm loading it by myself. i have dropped the back end of the camper 8 inches onto the bed of the truck before while using the two jack system.   scarry!!!!!    i don't leave them on when they are on the truck. i had some brackets made by my local metal fabricating outfit.i think the jacks cost me 75 bucks on craigslist., and brackets about the same. just two bolts on each jack and they come off.  i have the two cable crank jacks and two sets of 4 screw type jacks if anyone wants them. the screw type don't go high enough for my truck.

wes

Attached Thumbnails

• cj1.JPG
  • cj2.JPG
  • cj3.JPG

#3 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa, Calif

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:06 PM

whichever way you go for brand of jack....never use only 2...3 is scary enough.....

always...ALWAYS use 4 jacks...one at each corner...or close to the corner ;)

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#4 Manfred65

Manfred65

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Locationnear Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

one thought on any  camper: saves weight and reduces the risk to crash the jacks somewhere:

How to release and mount 4 camper jacks in seconds. The german FWC-Importer has a Patent now for a change system

called D-Jacker:

http://picasaweb.goo...co_Titan_Jacks#

2000 Ford F-250 SuperDuty SC LB 7.3 Lariat
1992 Jayco Sportster 8ft Popup

http://www.wanderthe...8ft-renovation/

BundutecUSA, TravelLite and Palomino TruckCamper Sales in Germany and Europe

#5 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:56 PM

I like that. Is it for sale here?

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#6 nixfwc

nixfwc

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:24 AM

I like the idea of using corner jacks. I have been using two cable jacks and two screw tripod  type jacks and have never felt very comfortable with the process.It also leaves wrinkles in the camper sides.  I have 4 screw type camper jacks left over from my four wheel and am going to construct some corner brackets that won't interfere with the top going up and down. It would be great to have them easily removable. I used wing nuts on my four wheel to facilitate their removal. The question is how to have a vertical flange to clamp the jacks to without interfering with the top lowering. If I find absolution I will post it.

#7 Buckwheat

Buckwheat

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA.

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

one thought on any  camper: saves weight and reduces the risk to crash the jacks somewhere:

How to release and mount 4 camper jacks in seconds. The german FWC-Importer has a Patent now for a change system

called D-Jacker:

http://picasaweb.goo...co_Titan_Jacks#

Those brackets would not work on an Alaskan as they would mount on the corners of the upper section, That when jacked would put all the lifting force on the upper section causing the upper and lower section to seperate. You need to lift the alaskan from under the undersection.

#8 caseboy

caseboy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Locationkey center,wa.

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:50 AM

if you look closely at my pics in previous post, you'll see that the jacks are connected to the vertical flange. that flange unbolts from the horizontal bracket ,but stays attached to jack.  the horizontal bracket is attached to the camper's bottom half. the bracket sits 3" out from the lower half to let the upper half clear when down. the brackets are made of 1/4 inch steel. if i had it to do again, i would have the bracket continue down the side of the camper more to limit the amount of flexing the bottom 1/2 does when raising one jack at a time. i just have to do small increments per corner when raising. in the third pic, you can see one of the two nuts(silver color) to unscrew to separate the two pieces of bracket.  the other one is on other side of vertical flange.this setup doesn't leave wrinkles in the skin like the old bracket directly behind(grey color) in the third pic and in front of black bracket in 2nd pic.

hope this help. this system works good for me.

wes

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jacks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users