• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

It is great to see the actual amp draw (New Trimetric) of my devices and comp refer. Now I'm researching bendable solar panels. So far I know of two brands:

Renology http://www.renogy-st...tHXAaAkmS8P8HAQ

Global Solar http://www.globalsol...ible-modules/rv

Does anyone have any experience with another brand that outputs 125-150 watts?

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 06 April 2015 - 04:08 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#2 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:54 PM

I don't think you could go wrong with either of those. Here is a third group you could look at:

Just look at eBay under semi-flexible 120 watt solar panel.

imgLoading_30x30.gif$T2eC16V,%21zoE9s5ne+czBQLC5dZUlw~~60_12

iconImgNA_96x96.gif$_12.JPG

These are the ones I bought. I just posted about them in the other topic about sealants.

Edited by DrJ, 10 September 2014 - 10:33 PM.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#3 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

I don't know of any other brands but one thing to consider is the shading you get from your roof vents.

The panel from global solar is really long and, in my opinion, more likely to catch some shade than a renogy panel or 3 above your cabover section.

Just a thought.

#4 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:39 PM

I have a 60w Powerfilm foldable and it works great. They come in higher wattages.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#5 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for the links to the flexible solar panels. But I have a question about roof mounted solar panels in general. I'm making some plans for my next camper and am considering these roof mounted solar panels. However, whenever I camp, I try to park in the shade and I'm thinking the roof mounted panels would not work very well. So what's your experience with the roof mounted panels? Do they still make enough power when using a compressor frig and parked in the shade?

Buzz

2017 Ram 3500 6.4L gas SRW, CC, 2wd, 8' bed

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

#6 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

Buzz - Compressor fridges have only been around for a few years, so most of us don't have a lot of experience with them. Originally we did not buy roof panel because of parking in the shade or low sun in wintertime. Many of us bought portable panels or panels we use port-ably.

Many of us bought FWC or ATC to travel off road in the back country. So keeping the camper battery charged is a concern. The reason to install a roof mounted panel is charging the compressor refrigerator. The Waeco's /Dometic's draw around 4.5 amps. Just driving around with roof solar a 100 watt panel produces about 3.5-4 amps net per hour. Not enough to run the fridge and charge your battery but will slow down battery discharge process. Optimally 150-200 Watts will run and charge the battery because mounted flat you will lose about 40% of the out put. So a 150 watt panel will produce closer to 5-6 amps not the rated 8.68 amps.

The alternator is also charging the battery. Many of the owners have two batteries and 200 watts or more solar to keep the batteries fully charged.

Parking in the shade
In April we attended the FWC factory rally near Napa. We camped in a cloud 4 days with only a few hours of sun one of the days. We deployed our 60 watt portable. Weather was drizzly, rainy. Panel still ran the refer, the lights and maintained 12.9 volts while light out each day and we did not have to run the engine. Battery maintained 70% full. I think even in the shade roof solar would keep batteries 65-70%

You didn't say what "refer" you ordered. If it was the 3-way (AC/DC/propane) you don't need a roof panel as you will be running it either on propane off the grid or 110 volt when you have hookups. DC will be just used to maintain temperature while driving as it is dangerous to have an open flame (running propane) while driving.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 15 November 2015 - 12:58 AM.

Jim

#7 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:58 PM

Shade:  You will get significantly less -- a lot less -- solar power when you're in real shade -- like, in the forest.  Ambient light (the light that lets you walk around in the forest in daytime without bumping into things) is a lot less "power"-full than direct sunlight.

Clouds:  You sometimes can still get pretty good solar power if overcast but not too dark-and-heavy -- diffuse light is better than full shade.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#8 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:57 PM

A single Yakima bar about 5" above the fixed panel on my roof reduced the output of the panel by 20% when I was testing, in full sun, where to place my rack.

Shade by trees that keep full direct sunlight from hitting the panels seems to eliminate any significant charging.  I had trees around me, but clear sky directly overhead, with 200W of panels on the roof, for three days when boating on the Klamath.  I received 5 AH each of the three days, total charge received. This was the July 4th weekend.

The week prior, parked on a bald knob with nothing close to providing shade, those same two panels produced 80 AH in the one day test.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#9 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:10 AM

Thanks all. I decided on the Renogy after talking at length with the tech. They have had good feedback results with gluing. $199.00 free freight from Chino (Los Angeles). 5 year warranty. I will get it in few days.

I decided to start with one panel and keep my 60 watt as a backup and change out my Morningstar controller to a 20 amp as the 100 and 60 are close to 9 amps and don't want to risk burning out the controller.

Global Solar never returned 3 phone calls.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 22 July 2015 - 05:04 PM.

Jim

#10 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:33 PM

Buzz,

Thought more on your question .....Like Mark says If you are camping  in deep shade with no a very little sun roof solar isn't going to help. Then a portable is good. One prob with a portable is security...Mine has never gotten legs and disappeared while I was out hiking...Though I think about it.

If your battery(s) is topped off when you get there and your conservative with the furnace blower and keeping the Waeco refer door closed most of the time (we use a mid-size Igloo ice cooler for our drinks) you might get 17- 24 hours - engine off - before needing to charge. Your choices then are portable solar pane, Honda generator or idle your motor for 1-2 hours as DrJ suggests. Or go sight-seeing during the day getting a charge from both alternator and solar.

Having a panel on the roof when sight-seeing is good because when engine is off Solar is running the refer.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 27 September 2014 - 09:21 PM.

Jim

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users