11 replies to this topic

#1 180pilot

180pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:07 PM

Looking for a portable system that will inform me that someone or thing is around my rig, when I'm off hunting or fishing nearby.  I know there are probably some that will communicate with cell phone, but most times, I'm way out of range of any cell service..

Been looking at this one which could have multiple uses on the road and in camp:

http://www.homesecur...ta-alert-ht-kit

Anyone with experience with these type alarms, would like your input.

#2 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:44 PM

That looks like a pretty fair system and a fair price.  The MURS frequencies are 151.820, 151.880, 151.940, 154.570, and 154.600 which are copyable on any scanner receiver. The ad doesn't say how much power either of the units run for some reason. I'd guess about two watts. What's nice about operating on MURS channels is lots of radios are available on those frequencies. Do a Google search on MURS radios and you'll find lots. Picking up a couple more hand held radios would give more people ears on the alarm, and at the same time allowing you to talk to each other.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#3 180pilot

180pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:58 AM

Ah, someone who knows radios..:-)       Appears might have more range then GMRS? but only 2 watts?  The Scorpio for Harley is movement of bike only?  This Dakota says can detect movement at 80 ft.   Have to call them about in vehicle charger for  new smaller receiver with smaller antenna, and if it has same range as older one.

Transmitter uses AA batts:

MAT_1_.jpg

Transceiver  walkie talkie

uses AA's too.

M538-HT_1_.jpg

Edited by 180pilot, 19 September 2014 - 04:02 PM.

#4 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:25 AM

GMRS/FRS frequencies are UHF while MURS are VHF. GMRS radios usually operate through a repeater and FRS radios are simplex and limited to 100 milliwatts with a fixed antenna.  You'll get far more range with the MURS radios than FRS. While some FRS and GMRS frequencies overlap,

FRS radios are not capable of repeater operation. 

The problem with the newer smaller receiver is the antenna is smaller also. It won't work as well as the older walkie talkie.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#5 180pilot

180pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:02 AM

My thoughts exactly, wondering in that range how they got the antenna that short?

They claim 2 miles on long antenna model.  I gather MURS being VHF, may be a little better in mountains, even with only 2 watts?  Already have a Sat. phone on me, my daypack  is going to get another battery eater......

Edited by 180pilot, 19 September 2014 - 05:06 AM.

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:37 AM

As a ham, I'd consider something like an APRS (Automatic Position Reporting System) tracker with a small single board computer (SBC) driving it and a handheld with built-in TNC/modem as the receiver.

Have the SBC monitor conditions of the camper & surroundings and compose meaningful status text messages that are transmitted at certain intervals. Display the text on the handheld when received.

That would give you up to 50 watts or so to send the message which would likely reach as far as you might wish to roam.

Yet another reason to get that ham license. :)

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#7 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:13 AM

VHF will be better simplex in the mountains than UHF.  I'd call the folks making the system and ask how much power the handie and the alarm transmitter runs. I just guessed at 2 watts.. might be 5, or it might be 1. With a stated 2 mile range it won't be much. The alarm transmitter looks like it has a removable antenna, and if so, a better antenna mounted on the roof of your truck will significantly increase the range.

PaulT makes a good point, a ham license is easy to get today, and with that, you can run much more power from the mobile, and of course won't be limited to MUR radios. I presently run an APRS system in my truck which allows anyone looking at a particular website to track the location of my truck as long as it's in range of APRS receive sites.

Slight hijack here: PaulT what's your call??  I'm K6ON. Do a QRZ lookup and you'll see the mobile and APRS system, and also a picture of the old Cessna 210 Centurian I putt around in.

#8 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:26 AM

I'm KC7PMU.  Active in ARES and want to get more active in remote areas as soon as I buy the Elecraft KX3 and KXPA100. We use APRS quite a lot for events we work. Good to know where people are located.

Have heard of APRS being used by Search and Rescue to guide a team trying to reach a crash site on a mountain in a snowstorm at night.  The team with APRS was able to be guided safely right to the site with warnings about cliffs and other hazards on the route.

We use it to track sag wagons and medical personal on bike events, and will use it tomorrow for the Hillsboro Airshow.  When I have used it on trips, I am always amazed how much of the country has digipeaters to get the signal to an internet gateway.

Will check out your QRZ entry later. Did a late night check for new content before hitting the sack. Have to be at the airshow at 0630 Friday.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#9 180pilot

180pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

VHF will be better simplex in the mountains than UHF.  I'd call the folks making the system and ask how much power the handie and the alarm transmitter runs. I just guessed at 2 watts.. might be 5, or it might be 1. With a stated 2 mile range it won't be much. The alarm transmitter looks like it has a removable antenna, and if so, a better antenna mounted on the roof of your truck will significantly increase the range.

PaulT makes a good point, a ham license is easy to get today, and with that, you can run much more power from the mobile, and of course won't be limited to MUR radios. I presently run an APRS system in my truck which allows anyone looking at a particular website to track the location of my truck as long as it's in range of APRS receive sites.

Slight hijack here: PaulT what's your call??  I'm K6ON. Do a QRZ lookup and you'll see the mobile and APRS system, and also a picture of the old Cessna 210 Centurian I putt around in.

Their ad says 2 watts,  I think Ham equipment would be overkill for me, for this project.   If the transmitter holds intrusions in memory, it would at least inform me someone/thing was around my rig when on my way back to it.  I try to not be more then a mile away from it unless other trusted parties near by.  I would like some ham equipment in  TSHTF situation, but can't get my friends interested, so could not communicate with them... And would need a solar charged system of some sort...

Edited by 180pilot, 19 September 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#10 180pilot

180pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:59 PM

Called manufacturer,( Dakota ), guess I was confused by their ad, the small receiver does not work with this system.  And you are correct that after market antenna can increase range, but manufacturer cannot sell it per FCC rules.  They stated  their receiver not compatible with other MURS walkie talkies.  Said to look on "firestick.com" for other antennas. Transmitter only works real time, no memory of intrusions.

http://www.firestik....atalogFrame.htm

Edited by 180pilot, 19 September 2014 - 04:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users