48 replies to this topic

#21 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:17 PM

Pull that thing up to a camp of rowdys and open the door and I bet they'd quiet down right quick ;)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#22 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:06 AM

So will a chemie light-stick duct taped to a crossbow bolt arcing overhead at about 10 pm......

Those frat boys couldn't pack up fast enough. :)

Thom

Where does that road go?

#23 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:20 PM

Good article.

First Paragraph:

Should I carry a firearm for my own protection while truck camping?

The quick answer is, “Well, maybe”.  There will always be a debate of whether or not one should carry a gun.  As with my new bride’s comment, thirty-five years ago, it has to be in your comfort zone.  The majority of people really have no business carrying a firearm, even though it is their right in the United States.  Let's break this down, without getting into a big debate.

#24 180pilot

180pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:05 AM

If I will be allowed to diverge for a moment:

And putting all the modern political implications aside:  Here out in the great Southwest desert region, shooting is still a sport.... At lease once a year, my friends and I set up a shooting camp out in the vast emptiness of the Great Mojave.  With 300 yd. steel gong,  randomly placed clay birds, balloons and other targets that are biodegradable or can be removed when were're done.  With all kinds of rifle and pistol games like; hitting a suspended and swinging water balloon, shooting a playing card in two on edge or cutting match sticks.   A target printed with playing cards at 100 yds. is "rifle poker".. 5 shots, a hit on a card is your draw.   Everything from AR-15's to muzzleloaders.    But, then we are tea teatotallers and no alcohol is envolved.......or should it be mixed with gun powder.  And, along with some Dutch Oven cooking,.. great times..

Some people don' know, shooting was one of our very first national sports..

Edited by 180pilot, 25 September 2014 - 12:07 AM.

#25 bka0721

bka0721

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOn the Road since June of 2009, Boulder Colorado before I left for the road.

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:59 PM

Hello Everyone!

A friend forwarded me this thread. I have followed this forum for some time, but I am more a learner from others than a poster.  It is rewarding that you enjoyed the article I wrote in TCM.  I am that Bryan person.

The topic I wrote about is one of the frequent questions I receive from other campers. Especially when they know my background.  Let me clarify a few points.  The article was written in the effort to reach all groups. Ones for and against firearms.  For the article is about much more than firearms. Many of us are aware how polarizing the topic can and is, about firearms.  For that reason I strived to reach all so that they would continue to read and maybe find something that relates to them.  From all the feedback I have gotten, it would appear I achieved my goal. 

Yes, your comments about the author being paranoid has been discussed in many forums.  What I always point out it that the article was written with the aspect to open up discussion of all the opportunities one has at their disposal, when traveling and boondocking.  There is no mention that I prescribe to all of these opportunities.  I am just reporting, as you have seen in my earlier articles.  As well as the upcoming ones.  Such as the topic of Stealth Camping, coming up in a few days.  But for many, they recognize the sense of having, Situation Awareness.  Unlike many here, I am a full-timer in a truck camper and have been almost 6 years.  Of that time almost 5 years without plugging into commercial electricity, as I am totally off the grid.  So while man of you are celebrating Christmas, Birthdays and at Super Bowl parties I am out somewhere remote and exciting.  Since I have not home, and haven't since 2008, I must carry all that I need with me.  As I have no opportunity to return home, restock, pick up different kayaks or bikes, or even 4 season worth of clothes.  So yes, I have a different situation awareness than many of you here. 

Thanks again for your interest in my articles and hope you will continue to read about my continuing adventures.

bryan

#26 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:30 PM

Bryan, please link the story about Stealth Camping when it is up, I am very interested in it. I have been Stealth Camping for a couple years and some places I am more comfortable than others. Not safety wise but more about getting caught. Looking forward to seeing it. 

#27 bka0721

bka0721

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOn the Road since June of 2009, Boulder Colorado before I left for the road.

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:09 PM

Hi idahoron.

Good hearing from you.  Hopefully someone will see some of the upcoming articles, and link them to Wander the West. Some might be of interest to this group, like water availability and conservation.  As for Stealth camping, it is really a matter of confidence.  That comes from practice, lots of it.  Especially with urban  stealth camping.  There will be many tips that will help you get started to building that confidence level, in the article.  Many here probably already use.  To be honest, what is the worst thing that could happen? You are asked to move on?  In all the time I have been on the road, I have never been asked or told to move.  Most of this are the choices I have made, in where I urban/stealth camp.  Especially since my rig is 48 feet long.  I suspect you will be able to hide yourself as well I have too. 

b

#28 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:25 AM

Hi Bryan,

It was nice to see you at DVNP again this year.

Regards,

Steve

I am haunted by waters

#29 Malamute

Malamute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRockies

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:55 AM

Looking forward to the stealth camping piece, and whatever else you have to write about. I dont know if it was stealth camping, or discrete camping, but I nomaded around northern Az for several years, spending the majority of my time camping, often in semi-close proximity to towns. It was interesting, and fun at the time, but the sleeping on the ground under the stars and sleeping in a minimalist bed in the back of my truck isnt in my plans at this point. I'd need some more comfortable accomodations.

#30 bka0721

bka0721

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:05 AM

Hi Sagebrush.  I was wondering if that was you and of course it was a treat to have you drop in and say hi.  Hope things are going well and you are getting out often.

Malmute, I come from 45+ years of backpacking, some of it for my job.  But at this age, I am enjoying the comforts of a truck camper as I still seek the solitude and the open skies of the outdoors.  So my way of thinking is still based in those tent and sleeping on the ground.  Every vehicle I purchased over the previous 40 years had a requirement, that they could be slept in.  As well as when my family was growing too.

You might be aware, or surprised how large a population nomads really are.  These are the people that sleep in their cars/trucks and work during the day, only to return to their vehicles again.  They find the dark shaded areas of business parks or all night businesses.  They retain memberships at rec centers or health clubs to access showers and other facilities.  All cheaper than an apartment and or campground.  Often a meal plan is used for the ones that are challenged in meals and managing money. These are often available through many of the chain restaurants. 

Here is one of my tips.  Go to a Wal-Mart or other big box store, but don't park there.  Drive around the area and look for a suitable location for the night.  I bet you find one. Get your things done, reading, eating, dressing, organizing and bedding BEFORE heading back to the spot you have found for the night.  Pull in for the night, after dark and then out at the first sign of light in the morning. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users