Photo
- - - - -

Thinking about a new truck. What to buy?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 31 October 2014 - 04:27 PM

With the grand daughters getting older and just about ready to go camping I am thinking about a true double cab truck next year. My 2005 Tundra Access Cab will be 10 years old next year and I will be 65. May be time for a new or newer truck. I like the Chevy 2500HD's, I only need my 4x4 a couple of times a year so I will get a 4x4 again. Needing 4x4 and not having it can make for a long day. I know I will have to put a Chevy notch in the Hawk if I get a 2500HD but not a problem. My 2005 Tundra only has 57,000 miles and 8,000 was on one trip, so the truck will manly be used for camping. Looking at gas not diesel, I just don't drive enough to justify the extra cost.

So looking for opinions what would you  would buy new or used? I have no problem with a low mileage late model truck. A new truck looks like it will cost more than I paid for my first house. (could not write a check for the house I can now for the truck) What brand truck  do you prefer and why?

Bill 

#2 JJ1

JJ1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:36 PM

You mentioned 2500s.  I'm finding that there's only a few thousand dollars difference between new trucks and ones (from a dealer) that are 2-4 years old with 30k-40k miles on them.  For that extra bit of cash, you can get the full warranty, dealer services, better selection, etc.  New trucks come with lower finance rates, closing that gap even more.

Re: paying cash, if you can finance at a lower rate than your investments are earning, paying cash can actually cost you money.  Taking a low rate loan may be a better financial decision dollarwise, plus build/maintain your credit...all while closing the price gap between new and used to the point where a new truck *actually* costs only slightly more than a used one.  (Some people just don't like to carry debt, and that's fine too...no argument here.)

So the math is close enough that I end up looking at as many new trucks as used ones.  There's not a big selection of used 3/4-ton private sales in my area, except for beat up work trucks.  I keep my eye on craigslist and such but it doesn't look promising. I'm taking it slow and waiting for the right one to pop up...no rush here.

My non-expert opinion on brand - doesn't matter.  Each brand has slightly different features that appeal to different users, but they all have their share of dedicated customers and haters.  I tend to stay away from new (unproven) designs but other than that, I'm just waiting for a good value.

Edited by JJ1, 31 October 2014 - 05:38 PM.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB 5.7 Hemi 4x4 - Looking for a Silver Spur Hawk/Fleet/Eagle!

#3 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:45 PM

I don't think there is a bad truck out there.  Really just depends on what your personal preferences are.  I'm a Ford guy and they are hard to beat for room.  I think their interiors have the most volume at least that is how it feels to me.  I've been in and around all 3 and the Ford is a bigger truck.  That is both good and bad however.  I've had great luck with all of the fords I've owned and I've had many.  Dodge would be my next choice.  

JJ1 is spot on with his advice and I agree 100% with his thoughts.  I usually buy used but it depends on what I'm looking for.  As I found out when I bought my jeep, it was only a few grand more to get new with all of the warranty.  

I'd go and look at all 3 brands, all new.  Decide what you like and what the cost of a new one is.  Then look around at used and see if you can find a good enough deal or if a used one has the accessories you want.  I'd guess you could score a good deal on a 14 model year with some looking around and willingness to travel.  my 2 cents... 

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:30 PM

Bill, I just bought a new 2014 F350 Crew Cab.   The end of model year discount was deep enough to make it worth while.  Although I went for new, I have purchased used in the past.   I do prefer new, as any defects in the vehicle are either under warranty, or those I put into it, not something a previous owner did and didn't disclose.

I drove all of the big three 1 tons, and felt that the Ford had the nicest ride.   The Dodge seemed to be the harshest.   I am a Ford guy, but would be willing to change to another brand if there was a compelling reason.   I just didn't see one, plus Ford didn't take a bailout from Uncle Sam.   

Like River Runner said, drive them all to find which suites you best.   Year end discounts are attractive now.    If you think that you will pull a travel trailer in the future, you might consider a diesel.   The difference in pulling power and mileage under load makes it worth while if you plan to keep the vehicle for a veeeeeerrrry long time.   

Good luck, keep us posted.

Steve

I am haunted by waters

#5 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:59 PM

I drove all of the big three 1 tons, and felt that the Ford had the nicest ride.   The Dodge seemed to be the harshest.   I am a Ford guy, but would be willing to change to another brand if there was a compelling reason.   I just didn't see one, plus Ford didn't take a bailout from Uncle Sam.   

Like Steve said he's a Ford guy I'm a Chevy guy but also drove all the big three 1 tons and thought the Chevy was the best ride.  I don't think you can go wrong with either one and it almost always boils done to your predetermined lean absent a compelling difference to go against it.

#6 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:34 PM

What is this "Chevy notch in the Hawk" you speak of?

Also when it comes time to get rid of that POS Tundra ;)  I know a guy Named idahoron, that might be interested. Keep me in mind when the time comes. 

#7 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:48 PM

With the grand daughters getting older and just about ready to go camping I am thinking about a true double cab truck next year. My 2005 Tundra Access Cab will be 10 years old next year and I will be 65. May be time for a new or newer truck. I like the Chevy 2500HD's, I only need my 4x4 a couple of times a year so I will get a 4x4 again. Needing 4x4 and not having it can make for a long day. I know I will have to put a Chevy notch in the Hawk if I get a 2500HD but not a problem. My 2005 Tundra only has 57,000 miles and 8,000 was on one trip, so the truck will manly be used for camping. Looking at gas not diesel, I just don't drive enough to justify the extra cost.

So looking for opinions what would you  would buy new or used? I have no problem with a low mileage late model truck. A new truck looks like it will cost more than I paid for my first house. (could not write a check for the house I can now for the truck) What brand truck  do you prefer and why?

Bill

BILL for kicks I would go take a look at the Canyon/Colorado. Given they are not too different than the Tundra, but have a higher capacity rating. Also very modern more car like safety structure. It wont be a big full size but probably worth a look to get ideas.

#8 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:57 AM

......I'm a Chevy guy but also drove all the big three 1 tons and thought the Chevy was the best ride.

I concur....no comparaison.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:09 AM

Bill, here's something to keep in mind.

I went down to my local tire shop to buy chains for the new truck. The shop manager asked to see my owner's manual. When we checked, Ford said not to use chains with 20' tires. Not what I expected!

So, I've called the dealer and told them I want an exchange for equivalent 18' wheels and tires. There is an alternative, a traction device called a tire sock. A bit more expensive than chains, reported to do a very good job, not as durable, but it's an option. I don't really want to be in a position where I need to use chains, but if I am, I want chains.

So, the moral of the story... Ask if chains can be used on the tires you're getting.

BTW, the tire store says that roughly 2/3s of all new cars can't use chains.

I am haunted by waters

#10 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:16 AM

What is this "Chevy notch in the Hawk" you speak of?
Also when it comes time to get rid of that POS Tundra ;)  I know a guy Named idahoron, that might be interested. Keep me in mind when the time comes. 

Idahoron is on to something ... Unless you are independently wealthy ... Your tundra is a great truck with lots of mileage left on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users