Photo
- - - - -

Thinking about a new truck. What to buy?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#11 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:17 AM

Does anyone fancy the new Power Wagon?

#12 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:00 PM

Idahoron is on to something ... Unless you are independently wealthy ... Your tundra is a great truck with lots of mileage left on it.

No question there are a lot of good miles left in my Tundra. Just looking for some extra room for the grand kids. All vehicles hit a point where there value drops to the point you might as well drive them until they die. That is how I have driven most of mine, before my 2005 Tundra I had a 1977 Blazer. But the Tundra has a fair resale value and I did save enough to be comfortable (not independently wealthy). If you max out your 401K over 30 years and make a few good investments you do reach a point you do not save anymore, it is time to spend a little of it.

#13 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:03 PM

Does anyone fancy the new Power Wagon?

Not for campers.

It is designed for off road and has soft springs with a payload rating of only 1,490 pounds.

My empty dry Hawk and me would be over that....loaded at the scales I am at around 2,000 pounds.

My 2500 is rated at around 3,000 pounds and I assume a regular Ram 3/4 ton would be in the same ball park.

Bill here is a link for compraision test of the big three HD trucks:

http://www.autoguide...comparison.html

Edited by rotti, 01 November 2014 - 10:03 PM.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#14 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:06 AM

Bill, I can tell you my purchase of the new Ford F250 Lariat was a good choice for my Hawk. Gas motor gets fair mileage so far, getting better on every trip. This last trip, I was getting more than a half a mile per gallon since the Meadow Lake Rally. Better than my F150. I would hate to have to modify my camper to fit into the bed of any truck. My friend with a Lance Camper had to modify his bed to fit his camper. Some people add plywood under the camper to fix the problem, this adds problems with camper fit and movement. Just my two cents worth. Good luck on your truck find.

Jim

#15 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:17 AM

Went and drove a 2015 2500hd Z71 today. It is a BIG truck compared to my 2005 Tundra. Like the space inside not sure I like the BIG part of it. Whole lot of Technology and Stuff, trucks have changed a lot in 10 years. 

#16 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:36 AM

Went and drove a 2015 2500hd Z71 today. It is a BIG truck compared to my 2005 Tundra. Like the space inside not sure I like the BIG part of it. Whole lot of Technology and Stuff, trucks have changed a lot in 10 years.

Bill, yes they are big! Yes they have a lot more technology! Best of all, they are so much more comfortable to drive!! You'll get used to 'big'.

I am haunted by waters

#17 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:25 PM

My wife drives a Subrar Outback and before that a RAV4 we still have.  Our 3500 HD replaced a Nisson Titan.  My wife loves driving the 3500 with the camper loaded.  As Steve said, you'll get used to big and pretty quickly.

#18 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:08 PM

My wife drives a Subrar Outback and before that a RAV4 we still have.  Our 3500 HD replaced a Nisson Titan.  My wife loves driving the 3500 with the camper loaded.  As Steve said, you'll get used to big and pretty quickly.

My only thought is where or what type of places you like to go. I grew up with the full size and alaskan camper type deal. There were places we couldnt go that are places my dad and I really like going to today. Especially with the crazy crowds that can take over easy to access places.

I cant see my self going full size ever again just due to the limitations you face such as parking in busy towns while exploring on foot and reaching those really great out of the way spots. However if all your doing is big highway miles and roomy locations no argument the big full size rigs are very nice.

#19 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:51 PM

My only thought is where or what type of places you like to go. I grew up with the full size and alaskan camper type deal. There were places we couldnt go that are places my dad and I really like going to today. Especially with the crazy crowds that can take over easy to access places.

I cant see my self going full size ever again just due to the limitations you face such as parking in busy towns while exploring on foot and reaching those really great out of the way spots. However if all your doing is big highway miles and roomy locations no argument the big full size rigs are very nice.

Find the video on here of the full size trucks w/ pop-up campers loaded going over Mengel Pass I believe it was.  I have some trail pin-stripping.

Edited by JHa6av8r, 07 November 2014 - 08:53 PM.

#20 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:00 PM

What?

I have had a Jeep CJ5, a Scout and a Blazer and I can go to about 98% of the places I used to go in my full size truck with a Hawk. The remaining 2% I probably shouldn't have attempted anyway. Who do you think made those trails in first place? Probably a full size truck. Look at a Jeep Rubicon....they are almost as wide my truck.

Would it easier be in a mini setup? Sure, but it's a moot point as I wouldn't fit my frame into one any way. Instead of two point turn, I may have a 4 point turn...no big deal.

Up Redcone Mountain and down Webster Pass, Colorado:

BQ0QVub.jpg

urzNNyV.jpg

MhntFuY.jpg?2

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users