Photo
- - - - -

Thinking about a new truck. What to buy?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:03 AM

I feel your pain Bill. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what my next rig will be. Finding a used low mileage gas 1 ton 4X4 is next to impossible. When I do find one they're asking close to the price of a new truck. Either that or it's in a state where they put salt on the roads because some kind of white stuff falls out of the sky in the winter! Whats up with that? It sort of looks like I'll be going with a new truck and a used camper. My reasoning on the 1 ton is they are only $800 or $900 more than a ¾ ton and I can get that back on the resale plus I would have another 1000 lbs pay load. No more over weight trucks for me. Also as I've gotten older I find I'm putting more " stuff " in the truck. As we all know " stuff " is the curse of ½ ton camper trucks.

I really like the Chevy Silverado. It rides nice and has the cab configuration I want. But it has that radius tailgate which means I have to find another GM compatible camper or bring a saw with me to cut the Chevy notch. Yeah, good luck with that. Hey, I know I'll just buy a Ford. They are almost $5K less, what can go wrong? Well, my neighbor has a Ford with the diesel engine and its been giving him fits. It seems that in order to access the engine the shop has to remove the cab. Really? I mean seriously, if Ford wanted a stumble bum to design their trucks they could have hired me for a lot less then an automotive engineer. Now I don't know if this is the same with the gas trucks, I'll have to check into that. And Ram doesn't make the cab configuration I want. AURG! Maybe I'll just buy a van and get some plywood and 2X3s and make my own camper. Hope this helps.

Mike

#22 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:23 AM

Unless you get lucky on a used one, new is / will be cheaper. Dealer had a used 2015 2500hd 12,000 miles minor wear. Because of the rebates on a new one, the new is only $900 more than the used. That would be a no brainer. Still looking at $47K  which is only $1K more than a 1/2 ton with a 6 foot bed. Might list my Tundra at a make be sell it to you price. Not many 2005's with 57,000 miles out there. Or may just wait a until the 2016 come out next year an get a close out.  

#23 Onefin

Onefin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:58 AM

Test drove a new ram 2014 4x4 2500 cummins Laramie today. $10,000 off sticker without any negotiations. I like diesels and and I am ok with the overall higher costs. Nice truck and the price puts it close to lots of other vehicle options we are looking at. I want to replace our 2014 sprinter sportsmobile with something safer and 4x4. We had a 2011 tundra dc 4x4 that was a series of recall and warrenty headaches, so we wouldn't shop new Toyota again. I had a 2000 tundra that was bulletproof, the 2011 was the polar opposite.
I didn't drive the ford or GM trucks. Lots of good deals end of year on domestics.
A 3500 duality wouldn't work well for us a Daily driver, and the wife thinks they are ugly, so I didn't even look.

#24 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:52 AM

You really can't go wrong with any of them. We went through the whole "buying a new 3500 2015 deal" and I finally got so frustrated with the automobile buying process I said forget it and am going to stick a flatbed, air bags and a flatbed camper on the back of my 2012 Ram 2500. (with only 12,000 one owner miles!)

I will say of all the brands (and if you can live with a crew cab instead of extended only) the 2014 and up Ram 1 ton really impressed me. Much strong frame and their optional 6.2 liter Hemi is nice. (Especially since you can order a two alternator option from the factory with 380 amp output.)

The Chevy has the weakest gas engine of all three. I'm just saying...

Steve

#25 W6USA

W6USA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:50 PM

Bill, since you are not in a hurry, you might want to wait a bit (any day now!) and test drive one of the new F150's.  If they still offer the payload package (8400 lbs, I believe) and if it is available in the crew cab that you desire, sounds like a great package.

Scott

2012 FWC Grandby

2001 Dodge C&C 3500

1997 Dodge 3500

#26 JMVT

JMVT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMiddlebury, VT

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:20 PM

This Ford site for the new F150 gives payload specs for different configurations. http://www.ford.com/...ations/payload/ Payload ranges from just over 1,500 lbs to just over 3,000 lbs.

#27 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:43 PM

Remember to keep me in mind Bill I am looking for another tundra.

#28 mitch h

mitch h

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Locationbrazil,in.

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:10 AM

Bill, I think Ron really wants your truck.  :D

#29 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:27 AM

:wub:

#30 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:35 AM

I might wait a year to make the truck change. Grand kids are 5 and 3 and might start camping with us some of the time. Having a hard time wrapping my head around $45K+ for a truck even if I can afford it. The Tundra still working great at 57,000 miles so I have at least another 100K before I really need a new truck. I will send Ron a PM if I decide to sell it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users