38 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:03 PM

I got the camper off today to do maintenance, mostly paint and reseal. I did expect I might need to reinforce the forward driver side tie down but it hasn't gotten any worse since the last time.

IMAG0433_zps53eba023.jpg

The rear driver side is another story. Completely pulled out of the wood. Access to the bolt is underneath the iota. Not sure if I can move it out of the way or not.

IMAG0432_zpsba733b7e.jpg

Anyone had to repair one this bad? Any ideas before I start ripping and tearing? Good news is a quick inspection shows no rot anywhere on the camper.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:29 PM

I don't think its from overtightening. Taking bumps too fast? Certainly a possibility. Could FWC have made these tie downs stronger? Certainly.

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:13 PM

Leaning towards the metal sandwich but I'll get a few more opinions first. It really pays to check once in a while. Its only the second time the camper has ever been off the truck.

In order to take advantage of the warm weather I went ahead and sanded, even bought a belt sander just for this project. Then I applied the cpes from rot doctor. Nasty stuff, sure glad I was in the driveway. A quart goes a long way. I had enough I did all the wood, even the stuff I hadn't sanded (bottom and everything). I did find a few spots (other than the ones I already knew about) that were weathered enough that failure to seal/paint probably would lead to rot eventually. I also found the rubber bumpers were mounted to pieces of wood that had never been painted. Tomorrow I'll sand and paint and ponder the repair some more. Monday likely will be the day I cover the exposed wood with metal. Got some thin diamond plate from ebay pretty cheap. Headed over to Blue Collar to get some heavy pieces for my likely repair.

#4 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:29 PM

Wow that stinks. I will be looking forward to see how you fix it. Good luck. What year of a camper is this one?

#5 bajafshrman

bajafshrman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:53 PM

What a bummer!

I can see this happening pretty easily if you don't see a big dip and you are going fast. I think some custom fab angle plates are going to be your best bet. I might have something made up to prevent this from happening to me - I drive off road a lot.

Seems like the front tie downs are most prone to fail?

Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll get it back on the road soon.

#6 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:01 AM

Sorry your had the problem,  FWC changed the tie down, I do not know when. My 2013 has the new style, see pictures. You could do something like this and use a larger plate top and bottom.

Top plate taken next to my rear side dinette seat. 3 bolts holding it in place.

med_gallery_1903_734_87343.jpg

Under the camper taken through the access hole. large angle cut at an angle with oblong hole in center. 

med_gallery_1903_734_87052.jpg

#7 bajafshrman

bajafshrman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:27 AM

How are the new tie downs different from the old type?

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:00 AM

Craig, I would give Brenda a call and get four of the new style tie down brackets and backing plates on order. Replace them all. The eye bolts with a washer backing plate may not have enough surface area to spread the load sufficiently. I guess that's a redundant statement as evidenced by your photo.

Edit: with respect to the broken area. I suspect that epoxy and sufficient clamping should make it as strong or stronger than before the pull out.

Edited by Wandering Sagebrush, 16 November 2014 - 01:14 AM.

I am haunted by waters

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:36 AM

Looks like they did address the issue on the newer campers. Likely I"ll do something close to the factory fix. Just wish I had some room to work inside. 

#10 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:36 AM

How are the new tie downs different from the old type?

Old eye bolt

IMAG0433_zps53eba023.jpg

New not an eye bold, large angle with oblong hole

med_gallery_1903_734_87052.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users