FWC four wheel campers ford f150 truck pickup back seat

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:33 PM

We split the "60/40" on our Tacoma DCLB into the "60" becoming a platform and love it.  It gives so much more storage space.

Not trying to hijack a thread but it works here.  We got the idea from this guy (FULL CREDIT).  Scroll down to post #66 to see where the seat mod comes in.

http://www.expeditio...-build-up/page7

I dont see any photos on there - all aged out. Can you share a photo of your setup?

#12 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:38 PM

I just removed the 2/3 rear seat on my 2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 2 days ago. Using Advmoto18's excellent heat gun idea made it a tolerable task. I left the shoulder harnesses in place. I planned to build a slotted plywood rack to keep the roll-up lawn chairs/table and Sioux's tripod for her spotting scope in there.

Here's the funny thing. Not an hour after I got done my flat bed manufacturer mentioned they could incorporate a rear opening "shovel box" that is 38" wide x 6.5" high and runs the full length of the bed! Perfect for all of the above long but low weight items! :)

Oh well, more storage is always better. Right?

Edited by Durango1, 17 July 2015 - 12:39 PM.

#13 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 03 August 2021 - 05:48 PM

We've always envisioned eventually getting our rear seat out of our 2013 F-150 extended cab and as we are getting ready for a real long trip, this would be the perfect time to do it. I just thought we'd look at a few YouTube vids and figure it out. Au contraire! It is a very difficult project from what I can tell with all sorts of "experts" posting poor quality videos claiming how easily they did it (particularly on Supercab models which are quite different from the extended cab.) My mechanic quoted me $130/hr to do it but he has no idea what is involved so there is really no upper end on that cost.

Since this thread is quite old I'm wondering if any extended cab F-150 owners can provide some guidance or a link to good instructions for how to proceed. Thanks!

https://www.flickr.c...tos/da_edwards/

Instagram removed my account because I couldn't prove I was over 13 y.o. :unsure:

#14 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 03 August 2021 - 07:04 PM

I bought a Ford F150 extended cab long box specifically for my FWC Grandby. I want to use the back seat area for storage, so I got two maintenance guys to help me remove the back seat (which means that I watched while they did all the work). Both guys are real tool experts and one is an automotive guy, so I figured it might take 20 minutes or so to complete the disassembly, but even with instructions it took over three hours and way too much effort to get the job done. There was so much Loctite on the bolts they actually twisted the driver on their impact wrench trying to remove them. It was as though they were welded in. They ended up removing the bolts using sheer muscle power and a vice grip ¼ turn at a time. It wore me out just watching them work. Ford obviously never intended the back seat to be removed. It was installed with the same bolts that secure the cab to the frame, so after the seat was out I had to replace them. We used more Loctite, but this time we used hex head bolts which will be easier to remove if I ever want to put the seat back in.

Now that the seat is out I have a huge amount of storage space. I’m fortunate to have as friends such skilled and experienced guys as these who appreciate a challenge. One of the fellows has already committed to help me next spring to fabricate a carpeted interior for my new back seat storage space, and also to help me build and install a gray water storage pipe (which means that I will watch while he does all the work). He’s also good with electrical so I may as well ask him to “help” me install a trimetric battery monitor as well.

Actually, I did help a little. A couple of times they asked me to hold a flashlight.

What year was your F-150?

Instagram removed my account because I couldn't prove I was over 13 y.o. :unsure:

#15 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 03 August 2021 - 08:38 PM

Well nevermind... went back out for one last try at getting the seat out and managed to find the magic slot to put the screwdriver in and the seat released. Probably invested over four hours between YouTube and the  futile efforts to get the seat out. Perseverance!

Now on to threads about how to build out back seat storage...

#16 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 04 August 2021 - 11:49 AM

I have an F-250 and did the same thing. I was able to split off the jump seat and leave it installed. For an occasional third passenger. You won't regret the storage. That's the only way to go.

Yes, I originally removed both of my 60/40 rear seats and steel foot tray in my Lariat F250. Just use the room for my 2 dogs one small one big. However, my grand daughter wanted to come with us on weekends. So I have reinstalled the 40% jump seat for her. The dogs still have room :)

#17 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 August 2021 - 11:57 AM

Truck Storage sm.jpg

I removed my 60 part of the 60/40. Had to remove the underneath lockable storage unit 1st. Was a serious PIA but I got it done. Had to have help to get the seat out but did the removal myself!

Had my buddy from work help me build the storage unit. He did most of the base part and I did most of the upper parts. It's all a tight fit but increased my useable storage a bunch! Still have the 40 seat also in case I need to ferry 2 people..... 

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#18 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 August 2021 - 03:00 PM

attachicon.gifTruck Storage sm.jpg

I removed my 60 part of the 60/40. Had to remove the underneath lockable storage unit 1st. Was a serious PIA but I got it done. Had to have help to get the seat out but did the removal myself!

Had my buddy from work help me build the storage unit. He did most of the base part and I did most of the upper parts. It's all a tight fit but increased my useable storage a bunch! Still have the 40 seat also in case I need to ferry 2 people..... 

Well done, Jackie!

I am haunted by waters

#19 Sando

Sando

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 12:16 AM

I haven’t got to this yet but this guy makes it look easy.
https://youtu.be/padZbpftnnc
2017-2019 f250 Ford super duty rear seat removal

Edited by Sando, 31 October 2021 - 12:19 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, four wheel campers, ford f150, truck, pickup, back seat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users