how to remove mirror?

FEC four wheel campers mirror

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:18 PM

I don't need the mirror that is mounted on the back lift panel on my Grandby. It looks like it can be pried off, but I don't want to damage the surface underneath it. Any suggestions for how to remove it?

Thanks. 

#2 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:35 PM

My mirror is a bit warped which gives it somewhat of a funhouse mirror effect. This makes me suspect that it may be plastic. Does anyone know for certain whether it is plastic or glass?

#3 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:42 AM

The mirror in my 09 Hawk is plastic.  It's held on with double stick tape and I remove it by driving down dirt roads. :(

Edited by 4llamas, 24 November 2014 - 05:10 AM.

#4 winks

winks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:14 AM

The mirror in my 09 Hawk is plastic.  It's held on with double stick tape and I remove it by driving down dirt roads. :(

You made me laugh. I hate when that happens.

#5 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:16 PM

Use some fishing line, run it behind the mirror, move it back and forth like a saw, and it should cut through whatever adhesive that was used.  

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:25 PM

Use some fishing line, run it behind the mirror, move it back and forth like a saw, and it should cut through whatever adhesive that was used.  

Works on late model truck emblems too!

Thom

Where does that road go?

#7 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:23 AM

I finally got the mirror off the lift panel. I mustered the courage to pull it off with some force. The funhouse effect disappeared once the mirror was off - the lift panel must have caused it to flex when it was attached. It was attached with two long adhesive strips and four HUGE globs of some sort of adhesive putty. Removing the putty from the panel was labor intensive. I scraped off as much as I could with a knife, then scrubbed off as much as I could with kitchen scrub pads. I removed the remaining putty with a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol. It took a couple of hours. Cleaned up very nice. You can't even tell anything was there. Now I don't have to look at myself every time I stand up.

#8 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:57 AM

You are luckier than me.  Mine came off during a long stretch of dirt road and brought some of the plywood veneer with it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FEC, four wheel campers, mirror

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users