2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#12 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:22 PM

i too am looking forward to pics...an awning is something i see in my near future...

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#13 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:44 PM

Well Here it is. It took about 3 hours time. This curtain material was a PIA to sew. I broke 2 needles and the thread kept snapping as well. I made a run to Lowes for the metal conduit so actual fabricating time was probably 2 hours. I flattened the ends of the conduit so I could drill them for the pointed ends of the tent poles to slip in. I am usually pretty good at the Singer but I'm affraid my stiches aren't very pretty. All stress areas (awning chord, conduit pocket, middle lap seam) are double or tripled stiched. I plan to fit dowles into the ends of the tent poles so they can be drilled and attached to the jack brackets. That way I wont have any poles on the ground to trip over. In theory the thing should be free standing without the need for pole ropes and tent pegs but that remains to be seen.

Attached Thumbnails

• FWC Awning 001.jpg
  • FWC Awning 002.jpg
  • FWC Awning 003.jpg
  • FWC Awning 004.jpg

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#14 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:49 PM

All rolled up it's pretty compact. Certainly mores so than the free standing Costco awning I usually use and way easier to set up. It took about 3 minutes to set up. The Costco thing takes forever when you finally figure out which pole goes in which plastic thingy.

Now for the cost. I had the Awning material(old curtains) and poles. Free
Awning chord. I bought 20' @ $1.05 per foot. The extra is for the sunbrella project so for this awning about $13. Awning track about $50. It would have been less had I opted for 2 short pieces per side but I wanted just one piece on each side and UPS charges extra for the longer package. 1/2" galvy conduit $1.20. Total costs about $65 Pam thinking I'm a hero....PRICELESS!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• FWC Awning 005.jpg
  • FWC Awning 006.jpg

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#15 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:23 PM

well done, thanks for the pics! looks good!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#16 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:04 PM

Jay now that you have global warming taken care of how is your awning going to handle rain and wind ?,or is it just for shade? Just curious.
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Les,lqhikers.

#17 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:39 PM

Hi Les,
For the time being it's just for shade we'll just go into the friendly confines of our Hawk when it rains. As for wind, I haven't found an awning yet that will handle a blow and that always is an issue but its's far better than what we are currently using. Here are a couple more pix of the awning in free standing mode. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

Attached Thumbnails

• FWC Awning 007.jpg
  • FWC Awning 008.jpg

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#18 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:54 PM

Jay,while you have the machine out you should buy some of the shade cloth and sew up second awning for windy conditions.We keep both type's in camper and when we know it's not going to rain we just put up shade cloth awning,seems to handle the wind much better than solid awning.Just a idea as it seems like you have to much time on your hands!
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Les, lqhikers

#19 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:22 AM

Jay,

Nice work, simple and cheap, I love it. We also will be adding an awning some time before a Utah trip here in the near future, but haven't decided what type yet. I will sure keep yours in mind as we usually don't need extra shade at our mountain camp spots and may not want to spend too much on it.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#20 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:19 AM

After years of using the old aluminum frame job and that August in Bluff I think this just might be the ticket. I know I'll be making another with better fabric but just seeing it in the back yard I'm stoked.

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users