58 replies to this topic

#21 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:33 AM

Les I like your idea. I actually thought about doing just that. Pam is very fair and must use sp 3000 she has had a tiny carcenoma but she's very careful now . Does the shade cloth do a good job?
Can you sew directly to the shade cloth or do you use some sort of binding?

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#22 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:36 PM

Jay we bought ours at home depot,you can buy it per foot and in sand color.My shade awning is sewed with a double seam around edge,then i use brass eyelets for the posts and for the mounting points on camper as my camper bracket is off set from body of camper,i mount to bracket with 1/4-20 bolts in 4 locations.Have been using this awning for 3+ years (couple of Baja trips).Looking at your pictures the way you have support pole on outer edge should work great,the only problem i could see would be is sewing the rope (i think that is how yours attach to your camper bracket) as material could be thicker than your awning.Something to check first!

Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les, lqhikers

#23 Turk

Turk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:40 AM

So, how exactly does the optional factory installed awning work? Does it need the poles staked out with rope or is it free standing? All the pictures I've seen it appears to be free standing. This back yard option looks TERRIFIC! A job well done.

#24 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:22 PM

So, how exactly does the optional factory installed awning work? Does it need the poles staked out with rope or is it free standing? All the pictures I've seen it appears to be free standing. This back yard option looks TERRIFIC! A job well done.

I have pictures at home I can post later.

The factory awning you use a crank to have it come out. After it is out a ways you pop out the legs that are in the leading edge and extend them down to help support the weight. Then you finish cranking it out all the way or where you want to stop. Then adjust the legs for the height needed.

As far as the legs you can use rope to keep the ends down in some amount of wind.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#25 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:42 PM

Turk,

Found a photo with our awning set up. This is the awning FWC was installing in 2004. I assume it has not changed. It has legs that fit inside the unit. After you extend the awning a couple of feet, you unfold the legs and drop them down. Then you finish extending the awning.

Ted

Attached Thumbnails

• awning photo.jpg

#26 Turk

Turk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:01 AM

Are those factory awnings worth the money as far as durability and ease of use? Or would a person be better off rigging up some hooks and using a tarp?

I can't believe, with all the camping I've done, that I didn't know how those types of awnings worked. Thanks so much for the information.

#27 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:09 AM

Another option is the Kelty Carport. Haven't field tested it on my Hawk yet, but I have set it up at home and it attaches securely with velcro to the hasps. A much cheaper option and takes minimal space and weighs next to nothing. You can fit 3 people/chairs comfortably under it. It also can handle the wind quite well.

http://www.kelty.com...=carport&id=151

http://www.sierratra...elter_-_(Medium)

Attached Thumbnails

• conejo.jpg

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#28 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:15 AM

Very long day...........................But we all like pictures:thumb: 2004 FWC Eagle.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01809.JPG
  • DSC01807.JPG
  • DSC01805.JPG
  • DSC01804.JPG

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#29 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:26 PM

PV,
Thanks for the photos, I do like the look and function of that awning and just may considered spending the extra money when the time comes.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#30 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

Just back in November I put one on my Ranger. Very simple to do. It was better to pre-drill the holes and clean out the holes on the mounting strip before hand. Then with a electric drill the zip screws went right in. For me it was a one person job and Stan included everything and instructions were very helpful.

There was a Shady Boy post a while back and they looked ok too.

Now I just need to get out and use the camper.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users