• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 oliverjohn

oliverjohn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:58 AM

I am thinking about sewing a thermal pack for myself but have never seen one in person.  Does anyone know what kind of materials/insulation it is made of?  Thanks for any info you can give. 

#2 SLOwag

SLOwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:37 PM

Welcome. I haven't made my own yet but I have this thread book marked. Report back on how it goes.

http://www.wanderthe...d-weather-pack/

2009 Tacoma 4x4 short bed DCab - OME 885 front, Dakar rear w/ Ride-Rite air bags, Nitrocharger shocks. Hankook ATM 265/75/16

#3 deethe

deethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:46 PM

here's what the one they sent me looks like up close; reminds me of the little sanitary fabric covering headrests on airplane seats- only a little thicker.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0124.jpg

2014 FWC Hawk powered by a 2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 4WD

#4 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:54 PM

I made mine out of a car cover that was on sale at Costco. I cut it up to make the panels. The fabric is a lightweight, breathable multi layer gray and looks identical to the factory one. $45 or so for the fabric.

Sew on some 3/4 inch wide Velcro and make it long enough to tuck behind the rear lift panels and you are good to go. It just hangs freely on the bottom. The idea is to have a layer of dead air between the outside fabric and the inside of the camper. 

I didn't make cut outs for the windows at the time but may do this later, just haven't really needed them.

I did sew "buttonholes" for the bungie cord d rings so I can just leave it up when I drop the top.

One thing I found that helps a lot when sleeping on the top bunk in cold weather to have some insulation between the lift panel and the sleeper.

I use and inflatable Therm A Rest pad that is wide enough to slip behind the mattress and friction fit to the top of the camper. It helps to stop the conductive heat loss on that side. I also stuff any loose bags or gear against the side window to cut that transfer down as well.

I also put a layer of reflextix insulation under the mattress, it helps control the condensation and reflects some heat back from the bed.

Dsrtrat

#5 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:15 AM

I have been looking at making mine using neoplume insulation, the same stuff in a lot of synthetic outdoor jackets and sleeping bags. It is really warm, compacts small and with the right outer fabric breathes well. I will be using the same construction as lined out by ski3pin, just different material.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#6 imix

imix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:02 PM

I recall but could not find a post from a few years back that where some guy had taken moving blankets, the thick quilted kind, and cut them up, sewed some velcro on it and called it good. He said it was super effective.

This dude, who lives in a toyota motorhome in Alaska in winter uses "oven mitt" material to provide  insulation for his windows. He bought it at a fabric store. Says its super duper effective on the windows in his motor home. He also has an insane wood burning stove pumping out serious heat and goes dry in the winter, ie, no running water, just brings in the water he needs for the day.

http://www.nest-mag....sts/tim-johnson

If I were in my twenties, and had a different significant other, I would totally do this. Totally. Just not in Alaska.

#7 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:29 PM

Oops... disregard this: SLOwag posted the thread above.

I have been looking at making mine using neoplume insulation, the same stuff in a lot of synthetic outdoor jackets and sleeping bags. It is really warm, compacts small and with the right outer fabric breathes well. I will be using the same construction as lined out by ski3pin, just different material.

To expand this a little, somebody here on the boards did a thorough job, but all I could remember is that it was one of the ski-related names (makers telemark or ski3pin) -- sounds like it was ski3pin. Get in touch with him or look search his posts/gallery.

Edited by camper101, 30 November 2014 - 06:07 PM.

2012 Eagle Shell with a few extras

#8 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:01 PM

We used this thermal shade material to make our thermal pack following the excellent instructions in ski3pin's post. It is 3 layers thick and a little challenging to work with. We've been very happy with it as it has a metalized Mylar layer that blocks light and we get at least a 10 degree difference between inside and out in the 40 - 60 degree range where we do most of our camping. Below 40 we've probably got the heater on so I can't say for sure and we didn't camp anywhere that cold before we made it.

That all said, I think just about any material that would keep people warm as clothing would work reasonably well. You just want to make sure you use a light color as a dark color will absorb all your interior light and make the inside kind of dungeon-like.

Alan

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0028.JPG

#9 NorCalSteve

NorCalSteve

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:08 PM

I have been considering using a quilted fabric that I have purchased in the past at Jo-Ann Fabric and craft stores.  I got a one day only 60% off coupon for one item, "not already on sale", for today only so I will take a look at what they have there.  Usually, I go in to take advantage of a deal there and because the item is already on sale at some other discount, I don't get the better discount but I will take a look anyways. I used some quilted material to make a partition that goes between the bed and back area of the Hawk, Which I really like. When heating the camper in the morning, I close the partition and don't heat the bed area.

Thanks for posting ski3pin's project as well as the others.  That helps me as well. And, since we are planning a trip to Alaska next summer, I was considering a darker material to help with the long days and bright nights, although there are other ways to deal with that.

Steve

Hawk on a 1994 Silverado 2WD pickup

#10 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:56 PM

We've pulled the trigger on the Kimberly Clark Evolution per the Ski3pin/Barking Spider build.

We're going to modify the design a bit and make a total of five panels per side, which will link via vertical velcro (front, window, middle, window, rear).  

When the materials arrive, we'll see if our little Singer Featherweight will be capable of sewing through the velcro & fabric.

We plan to have the install completed before our Christmas travels begin.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users