#1 rystjohn

rystjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHome is where we park it

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:00 PM

Hey all! This might not be the right forum for this...but I figured this is a trip that we're planning, and it does involve a truck camper....

I have a very scary question to ask everyone here - should I sell my bike or store my motorcycle?

The back-story: the lady and I are both turning 27 soon, and we are planning on hitting the road in March 2015 to travel the USA in our truck and truck-camper setup. We've been trying to become mobile like this for quite some time and this upcoming March is going to work for us! I'll try to keep this short and sweet, but also be as detailed as possible so that an opinion can be made.

10511681_790231263648_128664222893504930

We have a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Cummins diesel engine. In the 8' bed we have a Four Wheel Camper pop-up camper (~700lbs) which we will be living in. We will be touring all around the US, stopping in at various small towns and working to support ourselves. We are also both lucky that we can semi-support ourselves via the internet (she is an illustrator/painter and I am a writer/photographer/designer). We have no set plans, but rather are choosing to go wherever the wind takes us. We've tired of living a life paying bills and waiting for vacations to have fun. Even though we both worked hard to have the degrees we have, we both still work in the service industry in order to support ourselves and that has become tiresome as well. Long story short we're choosing to do this to free ourselves from constraints of "normalcy" and have our retirement now. But I'm not trying to convince anyone of what we're doing - we're going regardless and that's not why I'm asking people's opinions. What I'm talking about is the motorcycle.

I have a 2009 Suzuki V-Strom that I love with a passion that could rival Greek mythologies. It's my second bike I've ever owned - I've put so much effort, love, blood, sweat and farkles into the bike. I took my first solo long-distance motorcycle trip with it (from NC to AZ and back) and the lady and I have enjoyed countless summer afternoons riding the Blue Ridge Parkway. The bike isn't just a bike, it's a manifestation of memories and I've always said I could never get rid of this bike, but now I'm wondering if I should?

10151777_762398780168_199409118214754727

Unfortunately we can't put the bike on the truck - even with a hitch mount the bike simply weighs too much. I could store the bike in a climate-controlled storage center, but then we'd have to pay that much more per months, plus I'd probably worry about her. I have friends that could potentially store her, but then I worry about if they move or all kinds of what-ifs. I could sell her, but then I don't have a motorcycle anymore, and what if we decide to settle down, or things fall apart with our trip and then I have no mode of transport? I could also potentially sell the Strom, and then use some of the money to purchase a smaller bike and a rack for the hitch or front of the truck. All sides have their pros & cons, and I can't weigh them, not objectively. Which is why I need your help!

So - what should I do? What would YOU do? Take into account our traveling, our age, our limited income and the fact that I love my bike, haha.

Thank you!

Edited by rystjohn, 15 December 2014 - 01:19 AM.

A man, a woman and their dog. Traveling the Americas living in a 1997 Dodge Ram with a Four Wheel Camper Grandby in search of a new American dream. Promoting overlanding, sustainability, enjoying life and following your dreams. Tag along with us as we traverse the continent in search of adventure!

#2 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:33 PM

Give it to me and I will take care of it, not more that 10,000 miles per year to keep it in good running order :)

Really I would sell it, put the money away in an investment or just set a side in a saving account. I have ridden over 50 years afm199.gif and the bikes keep getting better. There are a few bikes I wish I might have kept, but none I would go out and buy over a newer model. If you have traveled a while and feel you should have a bike along look at a smaller dual sport. There are sometimes I would like to have my K1600GT to ride on a trip but I don't want to pull a trailer to have it with me. Wife does not like to ride anymore so the FWC works great. 

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,528 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:34 PM

Why not get a cargo trailer?

I am haunted by waters

#4 rystjohn

rystjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:07 PM

We don't really want to pull anything behind us - that was the reason we got a truck camper in the first place. Of anything we were thinking a hitch carrier, but not more. We want the ability to go down back roads easily and have a semi-small turning radius...
A man, a woman and their dog. Traveling the Americas living in a 1997 Dodge Ram with a Four Wheel Camper Grandby in search of a new American dream. Promoting overlanding, sustainability, enjoying life and following your dreams. Tag along with us as we traverse the continent in search of adventure!

#5 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:12 PM

Why not get a cargo trailer?

x2 That's what I'd do.  Don't really want to tow anything either but I think having an extra set of wheels other than the camper will come in handy a lot.

Also, traditionally we think of a rear carrier, but what about one from a front hitch?

Edited by JHa6av8r, 10 December 2014 - 06:14 PM.

#6 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:14 PM

Clean the mind... sell it.

This is what I've done every time it is time to change my mode of living my life.

When you're ready again you'll put the effort, love, blood, sweat and farkles into the new bike and have fun doing it all over again, perhaps slightly differently.

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,243 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:48 PM

Clean the mind... sell it.

This is what I've done every time it is time to change my mode of living my life.

When you're ready again you'll put the effort, love, blood, sweat and farkles into the new bike and have fun doing it all over again, perhaps slightly differently.

Agree with Alley-Kat, sell

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 7,998 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:56 AM

This was a tough one for me and its not my machine! However I think they're right about selling. You've done the hard part just to be able to undertake the trip, now go one step further. A little more in the emergency fund won't hurt either.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:29 AM

Yesterday I watched this TED talk about a young couple with a baby less than a year old do pretty much what you and your wife are planning.  One of the things he talks about is getting rid of things you think you need.  Might be worth a watch.

http://manvsdebt.com...aker-tedx-talk/

#10 rystjohn

rystjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:00 AM

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to sell the bike. I was hoping that I'd hear more of a "don't sell the bike!!" but I'm glad that I heard what I needed to hear! 

I've realized I don't want to hold onto something and leave it behind - that means we'll be attached to a location which is the opposite of what we want. 

I'm looking into selling my VStrom and then using the money to fund a front-mounted hitch and a small motorbike. Alley-Kat has been very helpful in suggesting a Honda CT90 or 110 which looks pretty awesome and less likely to be snagged! Also I could probably get away without tagging it and claiming it was a moped-scooter. Who knows  ;) ? I've also been looking at a Honda Grom. Either way smaller the better while still having a motor and being able to fetch groceries, fetch help, etc. We'll also have bicycles (and eventually MTBs again, but not now) that we can use and that will keep us from getting heavy  :P

So I guess now I need to sell that dang bike - I'm thinking of 6-7K considering the mileage and farkles, so if anyone wants an awesome Vstrom here in Asheville NC drop me a line! Or if you want to trade for a perfect small bike and a front hitch for a '97 Ram I'm in! 

Thanks again everyone! I'll keep everyone posted on what happens.

Until then, feel free to keep up with our shenanigans and adventures on social media!!

Instagram @traveling.trio

facebook.com/that.traveling.trio

twitter @traveling_trio

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: motorcycle, overland, truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users