31 replies to this topic

#21 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 7,998 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:19 PM

If only I could take the dog on a motorcycle. Guess I still need to keep the Jeep.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#22 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:41 PM

If only I could take the dog on a motorcycle. Guess I still need to keep the Jeep.

That sort of depends on the dog, the motorcycle and the rider...

DogonaHondaTrailCT90_zps22dd313b.jpg

The dog really likes to ride and will mount the large rear cargo rack even before the rider climbs on. The motorcycle is a 1976, Honda Trail CT90 (5 hp, dual range - high/low - sub transmission), and is taken to a bit of an extreme with very wide storage boxes hanging off the large rear cargo rack. The rider is an expert in handling the extra weight and balance. 

#23 Mr. Vertical

Mr. Vertical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Location80461

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:54 AM

Also a TW owner, many a beer run on that scooter, TimeX quality, takes a lickin & keeps on.

On the topic of selling stuff,  69 Rally Sport, 76 FLH Electra Glide two items should of never let go.

#24 MDM54

MDM54

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:10 PM

Why switch from the XR 250L to TW 200?

#25 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:50 PM

The TW200 has wide/fat tires, both front and rear, works great on softer riding surfaces like sand.

#26 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:45 AM

And the TW has a starter, the Kickstart on the 250 is a drag.  But it has been a fun ride. 

Bike2.jpg

#27 rystjohn

rystjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHome is where we park it

Posted 26 December 2014 - 05:31 PM

That looks great - just the kind of bike I want to replace it with. If I can't find one of those Honda Trails - they look like the ultimate utilitarian bike.
A man, a woman and their dog. Traveling the Americas living in a 1997 Dodge Ram with a Four Wheel Camper Grandby in search of a new American dream. Promoting overlanding, sustainability, enjoying life and following your dreams. Tag along with us as we traverse the continent in search of adventure!

#28 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:07 PM

If you are really considering a CT consider the CT110. IIRC the 110 is still produced and sold in the foreign markets and I'd guess more serviceable as the 110 was the last to be sold domestically.  My family had a couple, a 90 and 110 in my youth. We used them for irrigation and general farm work, and a lot of screwing off by yours truly.  Overall they were popular with the Ag set in general in that era before 3 wheelers.  What I can say with confidence is that either was darn near bullet proof and in low range, (both of ours had the hi/lo trans not the two sprockets) they would climb anything.  Power wise I could certainly tell the difference between the two.  The 90 had a handle bar set up that could be released and turned to facilitate carrying it on a bumper rack or inside a Jeep.  In my youth I've even witnessed hunters carry a deer off my family woodlot using it like a game cart with the deer tied on top of the seat and rack and one walking on each side idling it through the woods.

Either way they are kinda iconic Honda and IMO exude coolness.  Below is a site I kinda follow, not that I own one but certainly entertain buying one from time to time.

http://hondatrailcts.yuku.com/

Edited by LuckyDan, 28 December 2014 - 10:09 PM.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#29 rystjohn

rystjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:01 PM

Thanks LuckyDan!
A man, a woman and their dog. Traveling the Americas living in a 1997 Dodge Ram with a Four Wheel Camper Grandby in search of a new American dream. Promoting overlanding, sustainability, enjoying life and following your dreams. Tag along with us as we traverse the continent in search of adventure!

#30 rystjohn

rystjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:56 PM

Well, I must sadly report that my Wee has sold. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421502545.692897.jpg
At least the new owner was a great guy and full of adventure. I had to interview him and make sure I could trust him to have my ol gal.

Thanks everyone for your help and support.

Now I need to figure out what my next ride will be. Im considering:

CT90 - test drove one, awesome little bike but electrical systems on these ol beasts scare me - seem weak and fragile.

TW200 - nothing bad as far as I can tell, other than finding one in the range I want to pay.

XT225 - I hate the XT250, I used to own one. No aftermarket support and overall just wasn't impressed with it. The 225 though seems better...

DRZ 400 - I love it, but it's too tall for the lady, so I don't think it'll work.

Honda XR/XL 250 - or a 400. But they seem elusive, and street legal ones more so

Really my requirements are low and easy maintenance ( I can do 99% of my own work, I dont want a bike that is a PITA to adjust valves, etc.) light weight (under 400 wet) fun, powerful enough for 2up or occasional hwy use, and somewhere under $2500, preferably closer to $1500 or less.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: motorcycle, overland, truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users