75 replies to this topic

#1 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:58 PM

I've noticed that it takes a good while for the thermometer in the thermostat to 'warm up' to the current room temperature when starting the furnace on a cold day, and the inside temperature can get very hot in the process. Apparently the cabinet it's mounted on is an efficient heat sink and it needs to be warmed up too, which I do by periodically shutting off the heat until things reach equilibrium.  

Has anyone figured out a quicker way? It probably takes me 30+ minutes of cycling before I can let things alone.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#2 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:39 PM

IMG_0408.JPG

Mine came with a digital thermostat.

Charlie...
Stalking Light

#3 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:06 AM

attachicon.gifIMG_0408.JPG

Mine came with a digital thermostat.

Looks like it is next to the window. I put mine closer to the center of the camper.

#4 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:26 AM

The thermometer reads in the 50's when the internal temp is around 70. I may just have to put a hot towel on it, or maybe I'll try a hand warmer packet.

Looks like it is next to the window. I put mine closer to the center of the camper.

Not much room in my Eagle to move it to. It seems like the cabinet has to warm up before the thermometer reads correctly, so I don't think the front window is the issue.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Charlie...
Stalking Light

#5 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:08 AM

I have the same thermostat in my 2014 Hawk and have noticed a similar time lag to rising internal temp. I have an infrared thermometer and the fridge door across from the heater had reached 90+ temp while the thermostat still showed about 70. The area around the thermostat was a little higher than the thermostat indicated.  Meanwhile the temp around my head while standing was in the 90 deg range. 

I think that one has to manually control the temp until the thermal mass of the camper has warmed to near the target temp. The little furnace can really pump out the heat for the amount of air in the camper.  Seems like a separate small fan like the O2 fans to circulate the heated air around the interior might be a big help especially if you aim it towards the floor or have the fan on the floor aimed to the ceiling to mix the air better.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#6 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:33 AM

...I think that one has to manually control the temp until the thermal mass of the camper has warmed to near the target temp. The little furnace can really pump out the heat for the amount of air in the camper. ...

This is my experience also. It is worse the colder it is. The cold coming through the wall to the back of the thermostat is part of the problem. We have a digital thermostat. I have thought of putting a bit of insulation behind the thermostat but I haven't done it yet. We just cycle the furnace by hand until things warm up.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#7 Buckwheat

Buckwheat

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA.

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:52 AM

You should be able to go into the thermostat settings and adjust the hi/low settings. they control how many degree spread the stat will kick on and then back off...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Wander The West mobile app

In most electronic thermostats they work off of 2 things one is temp. the other is time. The time is called cycle rate, Most come from the factory set at 5 cycles per hour. If you can adjust it try 9 cycles per hour, If is says stuff like gas,hot water or electric set it for electric which is 9 cycles per hour where hot water is 3 and gas is 5.   If you can't adjust your cycle rate get rid of that thermostat and buy a Honeywell.

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:09 AM

Charlie, I wonder what a piece of neoprene between the thermostat and wood would do. I've noticed the same issue in both the Grandby and Airstream. The wood where the thermostat is mounted takes a long time to come up to the heat setting.

I am haunted by waters

#9 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:55 AM

Thanks all, sounds like it's not just me. I'll see what settings adjustments I can make and maybe try a piece of reflectix behind it, or just wait for spring. 😉
Charlie...
Stalking Light

#10 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationPacific North West

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:21 PM

I use a very small USB fan that I purchased at Campers World to break up the thermal layering. I converted one of the power point (cig lighters) to a duplex USB outlet purchased from West Marine that it plugs into. I also installed another one on the opposite side near the bed. These are also handy for charging various. The power draw is almost nil. It is silent and vibration free. It moves the air just enough to create a more consistent quality environ absent the thermal layering that happens in between furnace activation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users