(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#22 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:53 AM

Looks to me like your going to get stopped for not having mud flaps!! (tires extending past body) But if you can afford the tires you can afford the fix it ticket!!.Looks like that truck will be ready when the levies around the Sacramento area fail!.Plus where do you keep the spare?
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les Lqhikers.

#23 Joel Deutsch

Joel Deutsch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationCatawba County, NC

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:26 PM

Stan, did the dealer throw in a ladder? But, seriously,and this should probably be a new thread, but what are the pros and cons on mud flaps. I can't remember ever seeing any on the vehicles in posts photos on WTW. It seems to me that there would be more cons than pros when you're seriously off road. Any thoughts?

2010 Ford F-150 XLT with a 2010 FWC Hawk, air bags and solar panels

#24 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:30 AM

My previous truck didn't have flaps which resulted in several rock chips on the front of the Jeep when flat towing. The present truck has them and they work great.
Can't think of any cons.
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#25 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:56 AM

Stan, did the dealer throw in a ladder? But, seriously,and this should probably be a new thread, but what are the pros and cons on mud flaps. I can't remember ever seeing any on the vehicles in posts photos on WTW. It seems to me that there would be more cons than pros when you're seriously off road. Any thoughts?

I had the factory mud flaps on my 93 Toyota 4X4 SR5 truck.

They worked great for preventing rocks from damaging other peoples windshields...but when serious off roading....and needing reverse....several times going backwards I pinched the mud flaps between the tire and a rock/boulder and ripped them off. It happened so many times I just gave up on the mud flaps.

What would happen is in reverse the mud flap would contact a rock/boulder and push the flap into the tire for the big PINCH. Since the tire is going in a downwards direction in reverse....you'd hear a big thump....Ouch....another mud flap bites the dust.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#26 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

I had the factory mud flaps on my 93 Toyota 4X4 SR5 truck.

They worked great for preventing rocks from damaging other peoples windshields...but when serious off roading....and needing reverse....several times going backwards I pinched the mud flaps between the tire and a rock/boulder and ripped them off. It happened so many times I just gave up on the mud flaps.

What would happen is in reverse the mud flap would contact a rock/boulder and push the flap into the tire for the big PINCH. Since the tire is going in a downwards direction in reverse....you'd hear a big thump....Ouch....another mud flap bites the dust.

I did that once to my ZR2... no mud flaps on the Jeep, but I do have the factory contoured mudflaps on the Dodge. They have helped with rock chips and now are required by AZ law as I have higher than stock suspension and tire size.
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users