22 replies to this topic

#11 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:02 PM

If someone wants to get in they will, so not leaving things out in plain site and temping the bad guys is the best thing to do.  I agree with those that leave valuables in the camper as opposed to the truck cab, it seems to makes sense that the double lock/deadbolt combination and not being able to really see what's  inside of  the camper might reduce temptation for some.  I really agree with not having any bumper stickers that might incite unwanted attention to your rig.

smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#12 costman13

costman13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:43 PM

For those of us with cabinets in our campers, a hidden panel or false bottom works quite well. I have been thinking about installing expanded metal on the inside of the door window to prevent someone smashing the glass an reaching through to the door locks. I did this years ago on my trucks camper shell for when we would be out of sight of the truck for hours when we were surfing. They got into the truck once, but the camper remained secure.

I have thought of the expanding numerous times. Not necessarily to stop someone from climbing in, but to stop them from being able to reach in and unlock the door. Even if it was only on the door window, that would be an improvement. Although, I wouldn't want to feel like I am in prison while out and about... 

#13 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:23 PM

I wouldn't worry about the door window being broken and the lock opened from the inside because you can get into these campers in about 30 seconds without breaking anything.  I remedied this with 2 thru bolts.

Cheers

Edited by Captm, 01 January 2015 - 06:54 PM.

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

#14 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:43 PM

So, where did you put the two thru bolts?

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#15 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:49 PM

I can share this via PM for those who want to know ;).

Cheers

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

#16 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:19 PM

Another thing to remember is keeping them out is only half the battle. The other half is making the exit to difficulty to be worth taking anything. This applies to houses and our campers.

Double sided dead bolt prevents them from opening the camper door which means they have to crawl through the broken window to get to my gear inside. I also sized my bags to be bigger than the rear window. Granted if you have a side window it makes the door lock irrelevant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#17 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:46 PM

Captm,

I'm wondering how you mean that a burgler can "get into these campers in less than 30 seconds without breaking anything" and your 2 thru-bolts solution. I don't know what "via PM" means, but would love to know what you are talking about.

Thanks...

- Bernard

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#18 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:56 PM

Captm, 

.... I don't know what "via PM" means, but would love to know what you are talking about.

Thanks... - Bernard

"PM" means "private [or personal] message".  Click on Captm's avatar/picture and it will take you to his Profile Then click on the "Send me a message" button to ask him a question.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#19 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for all the good ideas on this thread. 

The comment about bumper stickers is one I have some experience with. I had many friends in College who had their cars vandalized at trailheads and elsewhere. Each one had some sort of political sticker on the car (left or right - does not matter).  I have never had a problem and my vehicles are clear of all stickers. I have had several logoed work vehicles (government) vandalized over the years, including as brand new 4x4 that just had it's tires slashed last month (by the way this is counterproductive since the taxpayers just pay for new tires - doesn't cost me anything other than a morning off). 

I do plan to put a small (pistol sized) safe in camper which I hope to bolt down out of sight. I like the idea about having large bags that would need to be unloaded before getting out the window. 

Has anybody used any sort of motion lights or alarm for the camper itself? 

#20 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:27 PM

There's always something like a under the car seat safe...

Edited by 100acrehuphalump, 02 January 2015 - 10:29 PM.

2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Security, Alarms

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users