• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:01 PM

Then it's pretty much a two person job to take them on and off a camper.

I also use Yakima gunwale brackets and carry my sit-on-top upside down. Also installed Yakima Boatloaders to my crossbars. They slide out of the end of the tube to load the kayak or canoe. I load a 65# Wilderness 13' tandem by myself all the time. The gunwale brackets and Boatloaders extensions add little weight to the roof compared to other options.

Edited by JHa6av8r, 08 January 2015 - 02:03 PM.

#22 Piney

Piney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:29 PM

Like the sound of those boat loaders, have to check those out. We're not getting any younger, or taller. GUNWALES, right.

#23 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 08 January 2015 - 06:31 PM

I also use Yakima gunwale brackets and carry my sit-on-top upside down. Also installed Yakima Boatloaders to my crossbars. They slide out of the end of the tube to load the kayak or canoe. I load a 65# Wilderness 13' tandem by myself all the time. The gunwale brackets and Boatloaders extensions add little weight to the roof compared to other options.

What he said.  The bars on the FWC are 78" so you can put a boatloader into each end of a single bar, if you load multiple boats and do it from each side, as I do.  They also work great as a hanging spot for drysuits if you leave them extended when you raise up the camper - kinda a Beverly Hillbilly boater look going at camp.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#24 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:14 PM

They also work great as a hanging spot for drysuits if you leave them extended when you raise up the camper - kinda a Beverly Hillbilly boater look going at camp.

This is brilliant!  They could be used for support a tarp for shade also.

#25 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:02 AM

What he said.  The bars on the FWC are 78" so you can put a boatloader into each end of a single bar, if you load multiple boats and do it from each side, as I do.  They also work great as a hanging spot for drysuits if you leave them extended when you raise up the camper - kinda a Beverly Hillbilly boater look going at camp.

I use the boatloader for hanging a solar shower.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#26 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,054 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 09 January 2015 - 02:13 PM

Hello there 100acrehupalump,

The racks are made from ⅛" L stock ...I did use some white Ash wood as small blocks to raise the cross pieces so the tanks would be held in more securely. I use straps to hold them in. They come off in a few seconds when I need to raise roof. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4312.jpg
  • IMG_4313.jpg
  • IMG_4314.jpg

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#27 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:40 AM

Hello there 100acrehupalump,
The racks are made from ⅛" L stock ...I did use some white Ash wood as small blocks to raise the cross pieces so the tanks would be held in more securely. I use straps to hold them in. They come off in a few seconds when I need to raise roof.

Hello there buckland...Super cool mod. I just finished reading the thread about mounting Rotopax on the back side of the camper, by Kilroy. I like them on top. Its less intrusive on the roof. It's certainly Outta Sight!

Edited by 100acrehuphalump, 10 January 2015 - 12:48 AM.

2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#28 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,054 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:33 AM

I too wanted to mount on real wall but found that when I opened the wall, the vertical support (exterior wall step bracket) was just an inch and a half too far to one side... it would mean making a side plate to move it over to be centered and I thought it was not worth the time for one can. Also don't like to drill holes and mess with the frame if I can avoid it with a weight bearing piece. On some bumpy roads things happen. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#29 wi_hawk

wi_hawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGB, WI

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:30 AM

My kayak and gear is stored in the rear seat.  Extended Cab, seat up or down.  Course its just the 2 of us.  It is an inflatable.

SeaEagle.com

Many models to choose from.  

#30 jakejake

jakejake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:04 PM

How many sea kayaks (~17') can be placed on top of a FWC Grandby with the factory Yakima options?  Or what is the better setup?  What is the weight limit?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users