• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:37 PM

I was pretty happy with the thermostat that came with my 2014 FWC, digital and simple to operate.

Photo of thermo

gallery_5315_768_5241918.jpg

Link to thermo   http://smile.amazon....ital thermostat

But after my last trip I decided I wanted a 'freeze protect' function, ie, a 35 degree low set point.  The factory one has a 45 degree low point setting.  I also wanted to have it work in the same spot as the factory one, and have a digital readout.  That eliminated the ones I checked that others have recommended - they were either not available, were horizontal rather than vertical, or they were of the older slider control style. 

I did find this one http://smile.amazon....rage thermostat

And I ordered it, and received and installed it just now. I found it cheaper than via Amazon, at least the day I ordered it.

Here's how the factory stat was wired. 

gallery_5315_768_1259762.jpg

They had the blue wire connected to 'RC', and the white wire connected to 'W', with the standard (according to the stat literature) jumper between RC and RH.

Here's what the mounting area looks like.

gallery_5315_768_3443862.jpg

Notice the largish opening in the cabinet, which would allow the inside cabinet temps to factor into the temp readings and operating performance of the furnace.  Not saying it's good or bad, it just is.

Here's the new stat installed. 

gallery_5315_768_740697.jpg

The new stat has a neoprene panel on the back to insulate it from the cabinet face, and it seals around the two wires that enter it.  I think this will allow it to respond more correctly to the air temperature and be less affected by the temps in the cabinet.  This could reduce the issue that some have mentioned where the air in the camper gets really hot before the thermostat reacts, when heating up a very cold camper the first time.  I was also pleased that the mounting holes matched the originals exactly - I reused the factory screws to mount it, no new holes.

Here's a shot showing the low set point and backlight  

gallery_5315_768_5228451.jpg

And here's some info printed on the box 

gallery_5315_768_220724.jpg

I connected the white wire to 'W' and the blue wire to 'R' on the new stat.  I left the sensitivity at the default of one degree ( it can be raised up to 3 degrees if desired) and left the default setting at 'electric' instead of switching it to the 'gas/oil' setting.  It tested out per the booklet.  If I find it cycles too much for my preferences I can change the sensitivity, and I also think that the gas/oil setting allows for fewer cycles per hour also, vs. the electric setting, but I am not 100% sure on that.

Maybe this will be useful for someone.

My intent going forward would be to set the furnace at 35 degres when I go to bed, if there's any chance it will get seriously cold overnight.  No more faucet icicles in the morning.  I also thought if I were going to travel through an area (or camp awhile) where it would be below freezing for many hours I might turn on the furnace while traveling, just to protect the water systems in the camper. 

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#2 NorCalSteve

NorCalSteve

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:02 AM

Nice DesertDave,

My thoughts about a replacement thermostat are the same as yours.  I like the idea of being able to set it very low at night just in case. Thanks for posting this.  I will stare at it on the web for a day or two and then order one. It sounds perfect.

Steve

Hawk on a 1994 Silverado 2WD pickup

#3 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:01 AM

Excellent and very informative, thank you for posting this. Copying!
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#4 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:35 AM

I also like the low set point. We replaced ours with one that goes to 40. Had not seen one that goes to 35 like this. And never saw one with an adjustable sensitivity. That would lead to less cycles at night. Really like that feature. Thanks DesertDave. This is the best thermostat replacement I have seen.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#5 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:07 PM

Mine is set for 40 degrees at night, as low as it goes. This works for me, if I had one that went to 35 degrees I would need to get up more at night. The wife would have me turn the heater on somewhere between 40 and 35 degrees so I sleep more with a 40 degrees setting.

#6 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:31 PM

If the factory one went down to 40 I am pretty sure I would have been happy enough and never bothered to change it. Set at 45 just seemed too warm for freeze protection and more than needed for sleeping comfort.

There sure are a lot of options available if you didn't limit yourself to a vertical orientation and a 35 degree setpoint. It's all a matter of degrees.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:19 AM

I wouldn't say easy to find. When I was looking they were out there but definitely uncommon.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 BobD

BobD

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFallon, NV

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for this post, getting ready to install this same unit in our '12 Granby.

2010 Tacoma DCLB   2012 FWC Eagle

2017 F350 4x4 -  Super Doody Flushed

2019 DCLB Tundra - 2012 FWC Granby

#9 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for posting! I'm looking too and started another thread so as not to poach this one. Have you used it yet in cold weather? Does it maintain relatively consistent temp?

#10 BobD

BobD

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFallon, NV

Posted 15 November 2020 - 09:11 PM

Thanks for posting! I'm looking too and started another thread so as not to poach this one. Have you used it yet in cold weather? Does it maintain relatively consistent temp?

I bought two of these thermostats in the OPs post, one for my shop running a pellet stove and one for the camper to replace the OEM analog White/Rodgers.  I'm tickled to death with the performance in both applications.  I set the one in the shop at 40 for freeze protection and when I come out in the morning it's just above 40 and the pellet stove is still warm.

I hooked the one up in the camper and tested it on a couple cold mornings (>30) setting it to 50 and it worked like a champ.  Would buy again.

2010 Tacoma DCLB   2012 FWC Eagle

2017 F350 4x4 -  Super Doody Flushed

2019 DCLB Tundra - 2012 FWC Granby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users