Another thermostat thread

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:44 AM

I bought two of these thermostats in the OPs post, one for my shop running a pellet stove and one for the camper to replace the OEM analog White/Rodgers.  I'm tickled to death with the performance in both applications.  I set the one in the shop at 40 for freeze protection and when I come out in the morning it's just above 40 and the pellet stove is still warm.

I hooked the one up in the camper and tested it on a couple cold mornings (>30) setting it to 50 and it worked like a champ.  Would buy again.

Great rec. Was the wiring straight forward moving over from the analog? Just ordered! Thanks!

Edited by eyemgh, 16 November 2020 - 04:49 AM.

#12 BobD

BobD

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFallon, NV

Posted 16 November 2020 - 02:55 PM

Great rec. Was the wiring straight forward moving over from the analog? Just ordered! Thanks!

I hooked it up the same way OP Desert Dave did, no problems:

"I connected the white wire to 'W' and the blue wire to 'R' on the new stat.  I left the sensitivity at the default of one degree ( it can be raised up to 3 degrees if desired) and left the default setting at 'electric' instead of switching it to the 'gas/oil' setting.  It tested out per the booklet."

2010 Tacoma DCLB   2012 FWC Eagle

2017 F350 4x4 -  Super Doody Flushed

2019 DCLB Tundra - 2012 FWC Granby

#13 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:17 PM

I hooked it up the same way OP Desert Dave did, no problems:

"I connected the white wire to 'W' and the blue wire to 'R' on the new stat.  I left the sensitivity at the default of one degree ( it can be raised up to 3 degrees if desired) and left the default setting at 'electric' instead of switching it to the 'gas/oil' setting.  It tested out per the booklet."

Thanks!

#14 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:54 PM

I'm no electrician, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. I set it up and made it through the first round of checks OK (turns on with raising temp, and off with lowering temp). It wouldn't run fan only though. My circuit only has two wires and my previous thermostat didn't have a fan only option. Based on that it doesn't seem like fan only would be possible. The simple circuit is either open and all off or closed and running both heat and fan. Would that be a correct assumption? Thanks!

#15 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:57 PM

Fan only option does not apply to our camper furnaces. Two wires are operating as it should.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#16 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:42 PM

Fan only option does not apply to our camper furnaces. Two wires are operating as it should.

THANKS!

#17 AndyandLaurie

AndyandLaurie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 29 November 2020 - 04:18 AM

They had the blue wire connected to 'RC', and the white wire connected to 'W', with the standard (according to the stat literature) jumper between RC and RH.

Just changed my thermostat to this exact one and am wondering if I have to connect the standard jumper (red wire) to this unit. Pardon my ignorance here as this is all foreign to me. Appreciate all your help and insights. 

#18 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 04:56 AM

Just changed my thermostat to this exact one and am wondering if I have to connect the standard jumper (red wire) to this unit. Pardon my ignorance here as this is all foreign to me. Appreciate all your help and insights. 

I just hooked up the wires like they came out of my old stat. There wasn’t a jumper previously, just two wires that I clipped the ends off of and tightened into the new unit with a small flat head. 

#19 AndyandLaurie

AndyandLaurie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 29 November 2020 - 06:03 PM

I just hooked up the wires like they came out of my old stat. There wasn’t a jumper previously, just two wires that I clipped the ends off of and tightened into the new unit with a small flat head. 

Ok thank you. 

#20 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:56 PM

Ok thank you. 

Sure thing!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users