#1 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:42 AM

Renovating Sköldpaddan – 1977 Grandby Interior Build

After spending the last 50 years camping out of a backpack, I finally decided that I had enough of sleeping on the ground.  My research last winter zeroed in on pop-up pickup campers, and especially the FWC/ATC design.  I had despaired of finding any in the area and had resigned myself to buying a used stick built camper and saving my shekels for a new one.

The ad in Craigslist didn’t mention make or model, but the accompanying picture told me what it was.  Called the number immediately and told the guy I would be out the next morning to pick it up (and only 15 miles from my house!).

001 look what followed me home.jpg

Look what followed me home!

This is what I am starting with:

1977 FWC Grandby.  Initial investment $500.

Hail pocked roof, dinged up siding.  Looks its age.

Soft sides in usable condition.

Roof and canvas don’t leak.

Bottom right rear doorframe leak rotted small section of floor.

Door is in poor condition, will need to be replaced or rebuilt.  Usable for now.

Crank out windows work, don’t leak.

All original interior stripped to frame by previous owner because of mouse infestation in walls.  Replaced with 1” Styrofoam and ¼” paneling; walls and ceiling.  PO claimed frame is in good condition, no cracked or broken welds.  Floor is OK, not original.  Material had been added to wings to strengthen, rebuilt for 6-½ foot pickup bed.  PO rebuilt front lift panels out of ¼” hardboard, OK for now, but need to support with added 35 lbs solar panels on roof.  Rear lift panels are delaminating and will work for this winter.  I will replace both front and back next summer.  Interior was replaced with a simple build, just a refrigerator cabinet (1982 Norcold TF-65) and sleeping for 3 adults.  PO used camper as added bedroom for when adult children accompanied on weekend trips.

I waited until almost done to post because I got frustrated with some builds ending in the middle; just quit posting.  Downside is I got focused on the task at hand and forgot to take pictures.  Oh well, it’s not like you guys need me to show you how to build, though might serve as a BAD example!  I also should warn you that I come from the ‘when in doubt, build it stout’ school of engineering.  I used mostly ½ inch plywood in the build.

Attached Thumbnails

• 01 original exterior.jpg
  • 02 original exterior.jpg
  • 03 original interior.jpg

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#2 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:04 AM

Renovating Sköldpaddan 

DESIGN CRITERIA

Room for me and ‘the monkey’ (a Beagle).

Keep the weight low and well balanced.

Be able to sleep without lifting the top (for convenience, stealth, warmth, violent weather).

Ability to boondock for a week or more at a time.

Only cooking inside is to boil water, all other cooking done outside.

Lots of storage: for backpacking gear, climbing gear, hunting gear.

Don’t want to have stuff out that I have to move around just to use the camper.

THE PLAN

I went through 10 iteration of layouts (gotta love solid modeling).  Everything from side dinette/bed to rear dinette/bed.  Since I camp alone, wanted lots of storage, and don’t want the hassle of converting from table to bed, I ended up with a rear twin bed with lots of storage underneath.

These are models of my final design.

04 model right rear.jpg 05 model left front.jpg

Seen from right rear and left front.  Counter tops, cabinet doors, frig, seat, and bed hidden to show detail.  Part of right wall hidden also.

06 stripped interior.JPG

Stripped interior.

REPAIRS

Spent June and July repairing the camper, learning about solar, collecting parts, stripping out and designing a new interior.

Replaced all roof screws with #10 x ½” and resealed roof.

Replaced roof vent with a MaxxFan.

Repaired holes in soft side material with ‘Gear Aid Tenacious Tape’.  PO had patched holes with ductape.

Removed and patched over unused stuff in outer skin.

Stress tested the refrigerator (it’s a energy hog, but it works).

Repaired rotted floor section with ‘Minwax Wood Hardener’.

Replaced door weatherstripping.

Moved wheel well notches back to fit 8’ pickup box.

Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#3 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:47 AM

Renovating Sköldpaddan

SOLAR

First I did an energy budget to determine my needed amp-hours from batteries and solar:

LOADS                  DRAW    DUTY     RUN              LOAD

CYCLE    TIME           per DAY

amps        %       hrs/day         amp-hrs

Refrigerator - TF65      -2.50       30%       24                    -18.0

Fantastic Fan on med  -1.40                      8                     -11.2

Laptop                        -2.10                      2                      -4.2

Cell Phone                  -1.40                      1                      -1.4

Small loads                 -1A or less                                     -10.0

LED lights, charge controller, BMS, refrig fans                  

TOTAL USAGE PER DAY                                                 -44.8

From that I ended up with this for my power sources:

SOURCE           SUPPLY   EFFICIENCY    SUN            INPUT

TIME          per DAY 

amps             %            hrs/day       amp-hrs

Solar Panels                                  

2 x 100W              16.67           75%               5              62.5

Batteries                                        

2 x Crown CRP290                                                        207.0

Optimally, I have about a 17 amp-hour surplus and I can run everything for two days with no input without going below 50% on the battery.

The solar setup consists of 2 x 100 watt Renogy solar panels, two 3 foot extensions (cut in half for splice in combiner box), a 90° outdoor rated plastic conduit splice connector (for combiner box on roof), a Morningstar Tristar TS-45 PWM controller, a Bogart Trimetric 2030 battery monitor & 500 ohm shunt, 2 x 60 amp ANL fuses in holders, 15 feet of AWG 4 welding wire, and two Energizer GC-2 6 volt golf cart batteries.

First, I had to cut a 1 1/8” hole in the roof for the combiner box outlet.  Took me two days to work up the courage to do it.  I didn’t want to tear out the ceiling inside to access the roof from underneath, so I had to cut from the top and I was afraid the aluminum skin would catch and tear with a hole saw.  If I could have accessed the roof from underneath, a chassis punch would have been a no-brainer.  Turns out the cut was easy.  Went slow and light on the drill.  Nice cut and no problems.  Hole in the ceiling is ¾”.

07 hole for solar feed.jpg

I mounted the panels to the roof with 1” x 2” x 1” wide ‘L’ brackets made from ¼” aluminum angle, tilted 3° to the front for water runoff and a slight downward pressure while driving.  Brackets are attached to the roof with 3M 5200 and ¼-20 machine screws through the frame to fender washers and nuts on the inside ceiling.  Combiner box joins the two panels leads in parallel, with AWG 4 wire going into the camper.  Combiner box is mounted to the roof with 3M 5200 adhesive/sealer and is supported laterally by the extension  on the exit of the combiner box and a ¾” flanged insert coming up from the ceiling.

08 layout of solar.jpg 09 closeup of combiner box.jpg 10 solar on roof.jpg

Inside the camper, the solar wire comes down the right front corner, through a 60-amp fuse, into the TS-45 mounted on the right wheel well ledge.  The controller feeds two GC2 batteries, connected in series.  The battery pack is stored in an airtight plastic bin with a 2” vent to the outside.

11 solar inside.jpg 12 battery setup.jpg

I have one 110 volt, 15 amp fused circuit going to the refrigerator with dual outlet on over kitchen counter and to a dual outlet next to the battery (for a charger) for when I have shore power.

Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#4 superminoh

superminoh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:16 PM

just got a 79 grandby my self keep posting I am learning what I might need to do to mine from post like yours .we can use ours this spring then do some repairs.how is lifting the roof with solar panels on top?

#5 Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:11 PM

Looks great JaSAn! Neat interior layout. Do you have a serial number on yours? Mine was removed some time ago and I would like to know just how old it is.

Thanks.

2011 Dodge - Cummins

Ancient FWC Grandby, coming back to life!

#6 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:12 AM

... And I love the old PowerWagon that you have in your profile picture.

Thanks.  Every once in a while I have a brain fart and think it would be neat to put a flatbed model camper on it.  In my rebuild, I have become painfully aware of how much space is lost fitting inside a pick-up box and clearing the wheel wells.

just got a 79 grandby my self keep posting I am learning what I might need to do to mine from post like yours .we can use ours this spring then do some repairs.how is lifting the roof with solar panels on top?

Kinda the blind leading the blind.

I use an 'On Stage' speaker lift to raise the roof.   http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a real grunt to manually lift the roof with an added 35 lbs. cantilevered off the front.  The lift is one of the better additions I made to the camper.  I didn't get to 65 with a good back by being stoopid. :P

Looks great JaSAn! Neat interior layout. Do you have a serial number on yours? Mine was removed some time ago and I would like to know just how old it is.

Thanks.

Sent Brenda at FWC my serial number and she couldn't tell me anything about the camper.

sticker.jpg

As you can see, I don't know how many numbers are hidden by the spooge, but I can see the mfg date clearly.  I am just assuming by its size (96 x 80), that it is a Grandby.

jim

Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#7 Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:44 AM

I also sent Brenda an email. I got a response but she couldn't gie me a date of manufacture. My serial number is 13962, so that should tell you the number of digits. BTW i found the S/N handwrittenn on the inside of a piece of siding, along with the word Grandby.

2011 Dodge - Cummins

#8 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:15 AM

Renovating Sköldpaddan

RIGHT SIDE BUILD

Sorry for the delay.  Doing @%$*& taxes.

Once I got the solar installed and working, I am ready to begin on the interior cabinetry.  This is new territory for me.  I spent my career working with metals and plastics, but have never seriously worked with wood.

14 interior.jpg

First thing I cut ventilation holes for the refrigerator.  I am placing the refrigerator in the left rear of the camper where the (long gone) propane locker was located.  PO had put paneling over the inside and caulked the door to it.  I cut four 5-inch holes in the plywood (biggest hole saw I have) and placed an exhaust fan in the upper rear one.  I found a heating return vent at Home Depot that I could cut down to make a vent in place of the propane door.

15 refrigerator vents.jpg 16 old propane door.jpg 17 new frig vent.jpg

Next I placed the back edge of the bed, with a cutout for the bathroom, and assembled the right side storage bins.  This will be for t-shirts, socks, underwear and other daily used items (and it will be easy to reconfigure if I find a better use for the space).  The space under the overhang is just high and wide enough for my water supply, sized for seven 1-gallon water jugs.  The top hinges for access and will be covered with a cushion to create a bench seat.

The small right rear is a cabinet goes up to the rear window.  This is kind of a junk collector, a place to put the dog stuff, and stuff to reach from outside the camper.

In the picture you can see the panel I put over the solar wiring coming down from the roof, with a cutout for the Trimetric.

20 right side bins.jpg 22 right side bins with bench.jpg

In the next picture, I have the rest of the under bed structure, and the face on the right side bins and a kick panel to keep the water jugs from sliding all over.

An acquaintance suggested to use Formular® as a cutting board for 4x8 sheets of plywood - works slick.  Set blade depth to just deeper than plywood thickness.  The cut is supported down it whole length and the Formular is so soft it doesn’t dull the blade.  I set the Formular down on the driveway, the plywood on the Formular and could kneel down on the plywood for long cuts.  Also used 8’ of aluminum angle and a couple of clamps as a cutting fence to make sure my cuts were straight.

Oh-oh, building inspector – Gotta go.

23 building inspector.jpg

Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#9 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:41 PM

Renovating Sköldpaddan

RIGHT SIDE BUILD

Sorry for the delay.  Doing @%$*& taxes.

Once I got the solar installed and working, I am ready to begin on the interior cabinetry.  This is new territory for me.  I spent my career working with metals and plastics, but have never seriously worked with wood.

attachicon.gif14 interior.jpg

First thing I cut ventilation holes for the refrigerator.  I am placing the refrigerator in the left rear of the camper where the (long gone) propane locker was located.  PO had put paneling over the inside and caulked the door to it.  I cut four 5-inch holes in the plywood (biggest hole saw I have) and placed an exhaust fan in the upper rear one.  I found a heating return vent at Home Depot that I could cut down to make a vent in place of the propane door.

attachicon.gif15 refrigerator vents.jpgattachicon.gif16 old propane door.jpgattachicon.gif17 new frig vent.jpg

Next I placed the back edge of the bed, with a cutout for the bathroom, and assembled the right side storage bins.  This will be for t-shirts, socks, underwear and other daily used items (and it will be easy to reconfigure if I find a better use for the space).  The space under the overhang is just high and wide enough for my water supply, sized for seven 1-gallon water jugs.  The top hinges for access and will be covered with a cushion to create a bench seat.

The small right rear is a cabinet goes up to the rear window.  This is kind of a junk collector, a place to put the dog stuff, and stuff to reach from outside the camper.

In the picture you can see the panel I put over the solar wiring coming down from the roof, with a cutout for the Trimetric.

attachicon.gif20 right side bins.jpgattachicon.gif22 right side bins with bench.jpg

In the next picture, I have the rest of the under bed structure, and the face on the right side bins and a kick panel to keep the water jugs from sliding all over.

An acquaintance suggested to use Formular® as a cutting board for 4x8 sheets of plywood - works slick.  Set blade depth to just deeper than plywood thickness.  The cut is supported down it whole length and the Formular is so soft it doesn’t dull the blade.  I set the Formular down on the driveway, the plywood on the Formular and could kneel down on the plywood for long cuts.  Also used 8’ of aluminum angle and a couple of clamps as a cutting fence to make sure my cuts were straight.

Oh-oh, building inspector – Gotta go.

attachicon.gif23 building inspector.jpg

Nice job.  Keep the pictures coming.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#10 Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:22 PM

Looking good, JaSAn! Keep the pix coming! I still haven't figured out what I need to do with my interior, but you are giving me ideas. 

2011 Dodge - Cummins

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: build out, renovate, interior build, grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users