19 replies to this topic

#1 JamieRecycles

JamieRecycles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:00 AM

This past week my boyfriend and I spent romping around Death Valley. We had a few really typical spots we wanted to check out: Titus, Mosaic, Darwin Falls, Devil's Golf Course, Dante's Peak, Charcoal Kilns, The Racetrack, etc.

We only had a loose plan though and picked up a back country roads map at one of the ranger stations. Believe me, all of the above mentioned places were unbelievably gorgeous and worth checking out. But what about the places that are a bit more difficult to get to?

Well, the Eureka Dunes were quite a long haul. Hours and hours on rocky dirt roads. Again though, quite worth it. Did I really leave my kidney belt at home? HAHA! We finally made it there though and damn it was so windy we had to wear goggles for quite some time.

24084_412236971409_651701409_5191832_8254969_n.jpg

But what about the more difficult shortcuts? Well from the Dunes to the Racetrack there is a choice you make. Go alllll the way north again back down the same the dirt roads you took to get to the dunes, then hit the construction on the highways just to wait for pilot cars, then hit more dirt roads. ORRRRRR....take a new adventure with new crazy, twisty, rocky, beautiful dirt roads you never imagined could be so long, like the Saline Valley Road and then a shortcut up to the Racetrack through LIPPINCOTT PASS!!!

Oh but Lippincott Pass. Nothing could have prepared me for this. Seriously. Well, not in a 2WD Toyota Tacoma Prerunner. Sure, we looked at the back country road map that said you should use a 4WD vehicle and NOW we will trust those thick, double, dashed lines.

We started at the bottom of the pass where there are no warning signs, not even a street sign. Only a giant pile of rocks sort of as a road marker. It's just a long dirt road leading to the bottom of the mountain pass. There were tons of rough wash outs which we figured was the reasoning for the 4WD vehicle warning on the map but I mean, depending on the time of year you attempt to drive it, a truck with great tires can get over those with careful maneuvering. We realized later that it seems like most people tend to drive DOWN the Lippincott Pass rather than up. Wonder why?

As we climbed the mountain and hairpin switchbacks it didn't seem too bad, at first. I even got out of the truck at point in flippies to take a picture with a cool old "Entering Death Valley national Monument" sign off the side of the road.

24084_412239736409_651701409_5191981_7708586_n.jpg

As soon as we got stuck here for a moment or two though

24084_412239751409_651701409_5191982_1876414_n.jpg

I quickly switched into my boots. I had visions of crawling out of a truck that had tumbled down the side of the mountain. Call me dramatic. YOU drive up Lippincott Pass in what we did! There were times when the "road" was almost completely washed out. Yes. For example, there is a specific hairpin that is forever burned in my brain. Josh hit the gas to get around it and the rear passenger side tire was NOT on the road but off the side of the mountain just spinning. Most of the rest of the time my side of the truck was about a foot or less away from the ledge of several hundred to thousands of foot drops down into canyons. I will publicly congratulate myself for only gasping ONCE. For the entire 5MPH crawl of, sliding, and the truck slipping out of gear more than once, I kept super calm and quite collected. My co-pilot skills rule. Maybe I shall take up rally? HA! Just kidding, I was pretty much fearing for my life the entire time.

24084_412240391409_651701409_5192001_905490_n.jpg

So as you can see we finally made it to the top. Oh and LOOK! A warning sign posted at the top of the pass! It seems a lot more serious when you see it here like this than double dashed lines on a map. We agreed that had we seen this sign, we totally would have avoided this pass altogether. We also sort of wished that it was also posted at the BOTTOM of the pass although, having gone through what we did and making it up alive, the truck still in perfect condition (uhm...minus the tires in which this one we had to immediately switch out), I'd have to say that it felt pretty damn good.

24084_412240421409_651701409_5192006_5520022_n.jpg

We both literally fled from the truck and ran around like wild banshees, veins bursting with adrenaline. You may not find this hard to imagine but within thirty seconds, the driver of this vehicle and my sweet, sweet man had a cold beer in my hand. Best damn beer I ever had!

Damn, a 2WD Toyota Tacoma Prerunner. Pretty foolish but pretty freakin' awesome!!!

Sure do hope to hear your Lippincott chronicles here, as I never knew this pass existed and I've been obsessed with wanting to hear stories of it since we made it through! I'm a newbie as you can see and so far I love this site! So, thanks for having me and I'm lookin' forward to hearing from you all!

Jamie
Nature is a living system, so sacred That those who use it profanely Will surely lose it; And to lose nature Is to lose ourselves.

#2 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:26 AM

Too funny. Have a look at some of the Death Valley Rally trip reports, there are more than a few comments and pics. My co-pilot was more than a bit concerned on her trip down Lippincott with me.

Good thing those pre runners have rear lockers on 'em!

Oh, and welcome.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,340 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:27 PM

Jamie, welcome and thanks for posting your adventure. Next time you do Lippincott do it in the downhill direction so your man can enjoy the outside edge. Post some photos of other parts of your trip also. We love Death Valley! Your chronicle of Lippincott was great. We really enjoyed a woman's perspective.

Attached Thumbnails

• DV-Dec-2009-166-web.jpg

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:50 PM

Jamie,

Welcome and thanks for the great story. Your co-pilot skills do rock. There is no way my wife would even consider going up or down Lippencot. Sounds like you two are ready for the White Rock Rim Trail now!

Ted

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#5 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:18 PM

cool Jaime!! You got guts (balls?) for doing that trip in a 2WD, as Sunman said, good thing for the lockers!..without lockers, when the tire was off the edge and spinning, finished.
Welcome! I think you will fit in just fine here :D ,
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

#6 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:31 PM

Welcome, and thanks for the great write-up and pics. The best things in life are those worked for. It sounds like you and your friend had one of the best Lippincott drives ever.

Mike

#7 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:49 PM

I luv the Lippincott, especially the narrow spot where DD tore off his running board. :P
Nice write-up.

marc

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#8 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:37 PM

Great write-up Jamie looks like a blast :) I added Lippincott as a spot:

https://www.wanderthewest.com/index.php/spot?record=13010

We had a good time there but I probably wouldn't take the truck and camper down it again:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh what am I saying - I'll probably do it again :D

#9 shakinfist

shakinfist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationRiverside CA

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:49 PM

Yeah so the truck is straight up limited slip, no lockers on this badboy, i didnt even know they made em with lockers till after i bought the damn thing, maybe ill be able to scavenge a rear end one day and throw it on there. So yeah we made it :) it wasnt so bad! wont do it again though in that truck. Thank you BF goodrich for swell tires.

#10 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:02 AM

Posted Image

I see my co-pilot out walking and taking pictures....................

I'm ready to take the 4Runner with the Casita down it.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users