Registering and participating at WanderTheWest.com constitutes agreement to abide by the Social Knowledge Network Terms of Service and these Community Rules. (Social Knowledge is the company that owns this forum). We reserve the right to modify these rules at any time without giving prior notice to you.
There is no charge for joining this Forum! This is a community of individuals who share a common interest in camping. Please think before you post and keep your comments limited to the topic at hand and above all be nice. If you encounter any violations to these guidelines or have any problems navigating the site, do not hesitate to let us know. We'll be happy to address your concerns.
We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Welcome newcomers to our growing community. Many of our community's members have a wealth of knowledge and much to share. Please help new members learn about how to find information and resources and how to get involved in the Community. Our underlying philosophy is that the relationships we build here are what sets us apart from other boards - we are more friendly, helpful, insightful, respectful and more fun.
- Our rules extend to all sections of the website including private messaging.
- Do not engage in personal attacks. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Be careful with sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, and anger. Offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, political ideology and national origin, are not acceptable.
- Do not post libelous remarks or directly misleading information.
- Stay on topic by keeping discussions relevant and on track.
- Harassment, stalking or predatory behavior will not be tolerated.
- Do not post the same discussion in more than one forum.
- Participants may not post or bump threads to pad post counts. Bumping is posting useless information, posting one-liners or any other action to deliberately keep a thread hot.
- Posts containing explicit, obscene or vulgar language, images or links to websites with adult content/images or punctuation marks designed to "trick" our obscenity filter will be removed.
- Be mindful of yourself and others. This forum is not a democracy; it is privately owned and we make the rules. If rules are violated we retain the right at our discretion to remove, edit or delete posts and if necessary ban or remove members. Any abuse toward our staff may/will result in immediate suspension of your account.
- Public discussion about moderation or moderator decisions is not allowed. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material or use the discussion thread to comment on moderator actions.
- NO SPAM! Our user base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit. Participants may not post affiliate links or direct others to any pages at their own commercial website or website in which they have a commercial interest, including informational pages unless a vendor account has been established and then only as proscribed by the site management.
- Trolling and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.
- Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive.
- We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.
Forum members should use the standard fonts available on the forum. The standard font size is 10. The use of bold, large or colored fonts should be used sparingly. Posts containing inappropriate formatting will be removed or modified at our discretion; e.g. all caps or excessive color.
E-mail and web address are not appropriate forum user names.
Posts should be well formatted. Use paragraphs, punctuation, and capital letters appropriately and limit use of Netspeak/LOLspeak (internet slang) and texting shortcuts (b4, str8, etc).
The language of this forum is English. If you are not a native English speaker, do your best. We are glad to have you as a member and will be supportive and polite.
Do not post protected or copyrighted material. Information copyrighted or owned by any individual or entity other than the member should not be posted on the discussion forums without the consent of the owner. If such an event occurs, the individual posting the information shall be held solely responsible. You cannot legally post entire articles or news in the forum without permission from the copyright holder. Even if you attribute the article correctly itâ€™s still copyright infringement. Under Fair Use provisions you may legally post a small abstract of an article - or perhaps the opening paragraph. In either case please post a link to source. The exception to this rule is press releases; they are meant for distribution and can be copied and posted in their entirety. If you are not sure if you can copy something then always err on the side of caution and simply post a link to the material.
Signatures must be setup in your profile rather than manually added to your messages. They will appear at the bottom of every post you make.
- Signatures may not contain commercial links.
- Signatures may not include email addresses, phone numbers, links to competing websites, prompts to contact or a sales pitch.
- Signatures must follow our forums posting standards.
Our classifieds system is offered as a benefit of membership. We expect ads placed to be related to camping and outdoorsmanship and that items be of interest to our community.
- Place only one listing per item.
- Ad copy should be descriptive of the item being sold and not used to promote any person or business.
- Do not place ads for items available for sale on other websites or directing others to another sales listing without prior approval.
Sellers must mark their ads as sold when the item has been sold.
The classified system is intended for general consumer use. Any commercial seller including but not limited to individuals who buy and sell for profit, dealerships, and consignment sellers must contact us for approval to use our classifieds. Failure to do so could result in your account being terminated.
Dealer/Vendor and Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors, products or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and dealer through the long-established legal or arbitration systems or the Better Business Bureau but not through our community.
About the First Amendment, censorship and your "right to free speech"
We believe in public freedom of speech but that right does not infer that others have to publish your speech. WanderTheWest is not a public resource; it is privately owned and we require members to abide by our rules and by the decisions of our staff. If you post outside these guidelines your post may be edited or deleted - this does not violate your right to Free Speech.
Site Management, Member Concerns & Account Closure
If we feel site rules are violated we may remove, edit or delete posts and if necessary ban or restrict account access. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned or any other member of our site team. Do not repost deleted material or use the discussion thread to comment on moderator actions.. This forum is largely self-policing, which means that moderators will respond and react to problems reported through the REPORT POST option, or via PM. Do not hesitate to use these tools to report any problems regarding the forum.
Participants may only have one account. Moderators may consolidate or delete multiple accounts.
We may remove accounts that have no posts. If the account has many posts, completely deleting the account can significantly disrupt thread continuity. In that event, we may (at our discretion) disable your account in some or all of the following ways: change the user name, remove signature content, subscriptions, avatar and identifying information or replace it with fictitious info. We may change account options to refuse contact and/or ban the account. Where communication features were used to share information with other individuals (e.g., sending a personal message to another Forum user) we generally cannot remove content. If someone quoted your post, the original user name will be shown as having been quoted (which we cannot purge).
Someone has to interpret the above guidelines and how they apply to this forum. Ultimately it's up to our site staff to make this decision. If you have any questions about these guidelines, please feel free to contact us.