• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:50 AM

LEDs have finally become a true alternative to 12v incandescent lights. We just got and have been using the new LEDs from https://www.superbri...other_bulbs.htm and they are fantastic. The light is 3600K, which means more natural light than the standard incandescent bulbs. They are about 2/3rds the brightness, but plenty bright enough for reading, even with our aged eyes.

Attached Thumbnails

• LEDs Light off.jpg
  • LEDs Light.jpg
  • LEDs.jpg

#2 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:02 AM

$22 + $5 shipping, be sure to select the warm white, 3600K LEDs.

LEDs slowly fade over time - figure 3 to 5 years.

These LEDs draw about 190mA. There is a 36 LED module that draws 120mA, but it is 7000K, which means a much more blue light. We got one of those and will replace one of the higher power modules if we are planning on camping for a long period of time without a "recharge opportunity" (ie, driving to somewhere else).

And why do we love to go where most people don't - have a look at the chanterels, girole, pfiferlinge - name your language, we'll pick'em, eat'em and oh, so, enjoy them. We got them in N. CA on our last trip north (no, of course we won't tell you just where!).

Attached Thumbnails

• Shrooms.jpg

#3 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:05 PM

Jack,
How are you securing the LED panel to the light housing?

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#4 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:35 PM

I am also interested in knowing how they were secured. I tried silicone and duct tape, but neither lasted more than a couple of days. On the other hand, is it necessary to secure them? Mine now are resting down on the light cover but since they don't get hot, doesn't seem like that is a problem.

#5 Star152

Star152

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:47 PM

I got the 36 leds and they are great......cheap insurance no melted walls or fire hazzards. I also replaced the doublesided tape with a stronger 3m tape works great.....
05 Ford F250 LB V10 04 FWC Grandby

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,025 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:00 PM

Mine has unfortunately started this habit of only working intermittently :(

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:06 PM

I have these two and the bluer ones. They work well for me. I used some double-stick tape to secure them.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#8 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 26 January 2008 - 05:33 PM

Because LEDs run cool, I just let them sit on the cover. Double sticky tape seems a good solution, too.

#9 b team

b team

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:26 AM

be careful on which method you use to secure them. I used some kind of caulking/silicon not sure and it corroded the pcb which caused some of the leds to fail. All it takes is a little silicon or velcro to get it to stick. also note which direction you mount th lights. straight down is good but you can also angle the pcb to get light more where you may want it.

leds are great. im thinking about adding a small red led reading light for bed reading.
Free and Easy Down the Road I Go 2003 Eagle

#10 bwassam

bwassam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:43 AM

$22 +

And why do we love to go where most people don't - have a look at the chanterels, girole, pfiferlinge - name your language, we'll pick'em, eat'em and oh, so, enjoy them. We got them in N. CA on our last trip north (no, of course we won't tell you just where!).

Come up to Oregon. They're everywhere in the woods.

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users