• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:28 AM

Do you ever feel the need to add to your vehicles protection like armor / skid plates or rock sliders? I found a website that makes steel and aluminum skid plates for the F150 but I'm wondering if anybody runs with the extra protection?
http://www.rcimetalworks.com
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#2 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:07 AM

I have the Toyota TRD skid plates, not the best but better than nothing. Rock sliders would be nice, I put on chrome nerf bars, way cheaper to replace that rocker panels. I have bent mine up far enough I could not open the drivers door. Two 250 pound friends bouncing on them bent them back.  I only truly 4X4 once a year.  My Tundra wand 2002 Hawk on Slick Rock Road.  Get rough at 1:40

Note I did not take my new Hawk down this road last year it is just too nice.  I left it home and slept under a tarp in the bed. Sure did miss the Hawk.

Edited by billharr, 27 February 2015 - 04:07 AM.

#3 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:28 AM

I have a complete set of Power Wagon skids and sliders on my Dodge, including the steering stabilizer skid. Lots of scrape marks on them....

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#4 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:05 AM

I also have skid plates. I think putting armor on the bottom is a better choice than lifting the truck if I had to choose one. Keep debating adding sliders but I think I'll bend up my steps first.

#5 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:42 AM

I've got them on my 99 F-150(new) 4x4-but had to ask for them! It was sort of funny when i asked the salesman if  it had them, we both had to crawl under neath the truck to check(we thought that they came stock).  It seems that they stopped putting them on as a regular stock item-at least on the one I was going to get-had them in stock put them right on  that day!. My old 80 Toyota had them, as did every government rig I ever drove! If I remember right my dad's 57 chev had one and most trucks i saw growing up  did (I think).  It's still hard to believe that stock a 4x4 doesn't come with them anymore-probably figure that they could sell more rigs,if you punched a hole in the oil pan when you were out playing in the boonies. I'm not sure on that last statement-anyone know for sure?  I mean who would go off-road without a skid pan-or am I just getting that old?

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#6 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:29 AM

Skid plates yes, brush guard yes, sliders no, at least not yet.

I've got them on my 99 F-150(new) 4x4-but had to ask for them! It was sort of funny when i asked the salesman if  it had them, we both had to crawl under neath the truck to check(we thought that they came stock).  It seems that they stopped putting them on as a regular stock item-at least on the one I was going to get-had them in stock put them right on  that day!.

Smoke

Yup, another sign of pending doom.  Skid plates as options on a 4x4. ;) 

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#7 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:56 PM

I've got them on my 99 F-150(new) 4x4-but had to ask for them! It was sort of funny when i asked the salesman if  it had them, we both had to crawl under neath the truck to check(we thought that they came stock).  It seems that they stopped putting them on as a regular stock item-at least on the one I was going to get-had them in stock put them right on  that day!. My old 80 Toyota had them, as did every government rig I ever drove! If I remember right my dad's 57 chev had one and most trucks i saw growing up  did (I think).  It's still hard to believe that stock a 4x4 doesn't come with them anymore-probably figure that they could sell more rigs,if you punched a hole in the oil pan when you were out playing in the boonies. I'm not sure on that last statement-anyone know for sure?  I mean who would go off-road without a skid pan-or am I just getting that old?

Smoke

It was an option I had to choose. Found it ironic that I could get a 4x4 with locking rear end but had to choose to have skid plates.

#8 MANXMAN

MANXMAN

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:21 PM

I didn't want to lift my F150 other than levelling the front with replacement struts so skid plates seem like a necessity option and cheap insurance.

I ordered the truck with the factory 3 piece skid plate option because at $105 it was cheaper at than just buying the fuel tank straps to mount the plate for the fuel tank from Ford which I wouldn't have if I didn't order the factory skids. I'll take the stock plates off and replace them with a full set of RCI plates.

Haven't decided on sliders yet though.

2014 F150 S/C V8 4X4
2014 ATC Manx Flatbed Pop-Up Camper

2017 F350 S/C V8 4X4

2017 ATC Manx Flatbed Pop-Up Camper

#9 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:15 PM

Stock skid plates with the Toyota TRD off-road pkg and I added "Rock sliders" welded to the frame. 

Besides protecting the sheet metal I now have side "Lift-points" for my "Hi-Lift Jack".

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:17 PM

My truck didn't come with them either. Been meaning to make some but I haven't gotten around to it. Maybe I drive a bit more carefully knowing I'm unprotected?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users