• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:52 AM

The purpose of this thread is for people that are looking to buy their first four wheel camper. This thread is for us to say what we would have changed on our order of our campers. 

My regret now. 

#1 that I didn't get a furnace. For many years I had trailers and it seemed that the furnace killed the battery in about the second night or sooner. The way I use my camper I always have my generator. I am either hunting or fishing. If I am not doing that I am at a campground and plugged in. SO dang I wish I would have got it.

#2- I wish I would have got the second vent above the bed with a fantastic fan. Several super hot nights last year got me wishing.

That is my list any others?

#2 steelhead

steelhead

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • LocationNW Oregon

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:03 AM

This is a good thread topic and will be interesting to follow.

Only one minor regret from the purchase of our Fleet - we are not sure whether the rear awning was worth the cost. It does help with keeping the entry a little drier when it is raining but it is not quite as effective as we thought it would be.

No other callouts - we are really happy with everything else.

Cheers!

#3 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:09 AM

Bought my Hawk used, but I wish the original owner had got the screen door option. Why would you not get a screen door on a R.V.?????????????????? 

#4 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:29 AM

Ya no screen door stinks

#5 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:21 AM

Wishing they hadn't forgotten to install my front vent. Now I gotta go to Woodland California to have it installed. Gonna have another fantastic fan put in. Otherwise I haven't used it enough to regret anything else....except maybe a flush sink and a king slide out bed.....and Warp Drive...a mounted 40MM Bofors turret...fer shooting down the bad aliens and....a Cloaking Device.....a root beer dispensary....

Edited by 100acrehuphalump, 26 March 2015 - 04:28 AM.

2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#6 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationPacific North West

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:23 AM

My hawk is loaded,.. Things I'd not get:

1) neither side or rear awnings. Every once in a while I use them, but not often enough.

2) rear bulkhead steps. I mostly use them to tie stuff off to but jack brackets would suffice. A ladder can always be borrowed to clean a Fan-Tastic fan dome or solar panel. Safer too!

3) with LED lighting, 100w solar and 3 way on gas I don't think the second battery AH capacity is necessary. Scratch that weight and hello more storage. It can easily be added if needed.

4). Roof rack tracks go unused, but I don't paddle board or surf. If I did I might think differently about the bulkhead steps too? I'm to old to store and retrieve stuff from a roof container let alone pop up the friggin thing. No tracks for me.

Beach: Wow,... No screen door? That would suck!

Idahoron: suggested work-around on the no bunk vent. Second vent above the bunk is good but I just upgraded the galley fan for remote or temp setting. If no vent peeling back the window corners would do the same. Google Fan-Tastic Fan upgrade Kit 7350 then you can regulate the air flow over your bunk by closing other windows and moving air over the bunk and out the galley fan. Silent variable speed and reduced power draw. I thought overkill but thought wrong. Ahhhhhhhh.... Try it, you'll like it. And agreed furnace is a must.

Edited by Kispiox, 26 March 2015 - 04:35 AM.

#7 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:29 AM

Two things I regret regarding my order...I should have ordered the compressor refer instead of the 3-way.  Happy to report I replaced the 3-way with a very nice Isotherm Cruise Marine refer. The second item is the front window between the camper and cab.  Haven't opened it and I don't plan to.  No, leaks, no issues...just don't have a need for it.    

#8 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationPacific North West

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:36 AM

Two things I regret regarding my order...I should have ordered the compressor refer instead of the 3-way. Happy to report I replaced the 3-way with a very nice Isotherm Cruise Marine refer. The second item is the front window between the camper and cab. Haven't opened it and I don't plan to. No, leaks, no issues...just don't have a need for it.

Ditto! The window, but love the three way.

Edited by Kispiox, 26 March 2015 - 04:37 AM.

#9 BlueRidge

BlueRidge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:37 AM

This topic is a great idea.  Let us know what you've learned from using your camper.

#10 Oryguntroutbum

Oryguntroutbum

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:59 AM

I spent 8 years trying to figure out what I wanted and am pretty happy.  I thought I ordered the thermal pack but when it was delivered I realized I'd left it off the order.  I think I would like to have that, but wonder how much condensation would get caught in between.  Other than that I think maybe the fan in the vent over the bed would be nice.  Glad I didn't order the rear flood lights, don't think I would use them.  Glad I ordered the flush mount stove and sink.  Although I don't use them the extra counter space is awesome. 

2014 Dodge 2500 4x4, Cummins TD2021 FWC Hawk<p>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users