• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#21 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationPacific North West

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:19 PM

For new buyers lurking or otherwise. There are many opinions here that are based upon predominate geographical usage. Some are also based upon options selected that effect other options.

For instance, my predominate usage is high lattitudes, so awnings aren't high on my priority list. Consequently, please take my comment with a grain of salt. Someone who has selected a compressor refer is going to want more solar and storage capacity. If your camper is going on a half ton then Added weight is more of a consideration, etc, etc.

All options herein are great depending upon your usage. Everything is a trade off based upon geographical usage, typical length of stay, weight, complexity to manage balanced agains available funds.

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but I'm thinking there may be first time buyers listening in who might appreciate.

Edited by Kispiox, 26 March 2015 - 05:27 PM.

#22 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:34 PM

Naw, that is a good disclaimer Kispiox. We are very conservative driving, so if the road gets rough we walk or mountain bike so feel fine with stock suspension, etc. But others like to do more with 4WD and need to go other directions with campers and trucks. Always good to see the differences.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#23 danno808

danno808

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:05 PM

Great topic, Ron!  Exactly what I'm looking for as I ponder my first pop-up camper.

Thanks, Dan

#24 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:27 PM

2nd the Warp drive and rootbeer:) Cloaking device could come in handy as well as a photon torpedo or two :)

Inertial dampeners for rough terrain.

Technically, shouldn't this be in the "options I'd like to see" thread?

#25 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:32 PM

Only use I have for the front sliding window is to clean the rear sliding window on the truck ( ditto truck sliding window to clean front camper window).

You can use the front sliding window to pass recreational substances back and forth when in Colorado.

#26 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:39 PM

Not a regret as much as an adjustment(?)  I have a 2014 Hawk and ordered the rear LED floods.  They are soooo freakin' bright that I am embarrassed to use them with anyone near me.  They light up the whole dang campground!  It's not often that you have too much light when camping, but this is one of those times.

However, the few times I have been all alone in the Nevada desert they are fantastic, although I do worry that aliens might mistake my camp for a landing zone.

So, maybe slightly less powerful lights for the rear, or dual wattage if there is such a thing?

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#27 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:11 PM

I'll add a slight twist to this since I didn't get to order a new one but bought a used one instead.  I did my homework and had a list of "must haves", "don't needs", and "would be nice if it had its"...  After 2 years there are a few things I'd do different if I could. After sitting in a new Grandby and now having a dealer 27 miles from me, the thought of going new keeps dancing in the back of  my mind.  

- I'd get a front dinette instead of the rollover couch.  With this arrangement, if you have to cook inside, there is more room or separation so you're not in each others way.  You can actually use the table unlike the "table" that comes with the rollover.  The swing table is a lot more comfortable to use and sit at.  Weight is balanced better also since the fridge and sink/stove is split up and not all on one side.  Storage appeared to about the same.  

- I'd get a hot water heater for the convenience and for the outside shower.  Much easier to do dishes and no need to pack a solar shower.  Last trip there was no sun so no warm shower water... 

- Solar is still a debate for me.  I'd probably get the biggest system offered just because its a new build and it might be useful in some circumstances.  

- front slider window is useless.  I've never opened it.  

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#28 Mic

Mic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:21 AM

This is a great topic!!

I have had all kinds of camping rigs!! I believe there is NEVER a perfect rig/camper combo!!

With that said I am very happy with my choice! Works great for me! I ordered every thing I wanted and it seems I have nothing to regret!

Awnings were never something I'd use...seems like the wind comes up where ever I am!

As for the table I saw that wouldn't work for me right off! So I had them leave it off and made up my own after a couple of trips!!

Camping for a life time I kinda  knew what I wanted...I was able to pack it up and go go!!!

The two roof vents work very well...I think come warmer weather the fantastic fan will be worth every penny! LED lights are bright, glad there is the option for one or both bulbs on or off...

Solar is worth it for me, no roof rack my toys go in the trailer...

#29 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:51 AM

That is another one. I wish I had the rear LED lights. I am always getting my boat ready to go in the dark. The rear lights would have been awesome for getting stuff ready.

#30 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:06 AM

Yakima tracks and rear steps - they kind of go together and since I've never needed the tracks I don't need the steps.

For me (maybe not others), the factory solar install in 2012 was undersized to be of any value with a compressor fridge even with two batteries.  I recently upgraded to 300 W and would not want to have less.  I would have everything wired for solar, and then do it yourself with Renogy bendable panels.  They are very light and flush to the roof which has the added advantage of reducing wind resistance and buffeting.  It makes for a very clean install and once I figured everything out with the help of this forum, it was a 4 hour install.

Best buy was the flush stove and sink.

Edited by DonC, 27 March 2015 - 03:22 AM.

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users