- - - - -

It's the little things!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:50 PM

That make me happy.

Still a ways from using our newly aquired Eagle shell. I have a few projects to take care of 1st. But in the meantime it's on my mind. I'm constantly thinking of what needs to be done to solve the little/big questions when we do use it.

I'm not a big fan of tiny Porta-Pottty's. And I have a Lugable loo 5 gal bucket and lid that is used when tent camping. It's too tall for the Porta-Pot space under the couch. I realized today that I had a couple of HD 3 gallon buckets. I tried and the Loo seat/lid fit perfect on one of them. It also fits just fine under the couch in the camper with enough room left over for a bag of cat litter behind it. Soon I'll add a web strap to keep it n place when traveling. Yet another problem solved with no money spent. Being recently retired I love these kind of solutions! Money not spent is money for the gas tank when we do get this on the road and trails.

Edited by Squatch, 29 March 2015 - 11:52 PM.

#2 BillM

BillM

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:02 AM

We've always just dug a cathole to do our business when truck camping but now squatting is getting more uncomfortable due to age and health issues.  We have a river toilet called the scatpacker which has worked well for us on float trips.  I'm thinking I'll make a mount for a 5 gallon bucket to the left of the door and use that with the seat from the scatpacker, I'd rather keep our crap outside.

Billm

2008 Frontier with a 2010 Eagle shell

#3 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:16 AM

This is mostly for those middle of the night trips that us old folks have to deal with. Mainly #1. That and travel storage. During the day or extended stays the bathroom tent gets set up outside.

Historically we've done the cat hole thing too. But in popular places that too has it's problems.

I've found that the human litter box/bucket is normally less smelly and offensive than the chemical toilets.

#4 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:24 PM

I've found that the human litter box/bucket is normally less smelly and offensive than the chemical toilets- Squatch.

Hmm.  That's interesting.  I have a Thetford and wouldn't have thought that to be the case.

Years ago I had a 70's camper van with a recirculating toilet. That one became a problem very quickly.  So ever since the non-recirculating Thetfords came out I've thought they're great.

I've had much better luck with some chemicals than others, though. I've found the best for me is Thetford's Campa-Chem Original. It's inexpensive at about $6 for a 32-oz bottle at Walmart (and I can get it anywhere so I don't have to carry a spare).

I originally bought the smaller model (2.6 gal waste tank) but found I like the larger one (5.5 gal waste tank), both for the additional capacity (and therefore time between clean-outs) and higher seat height. 

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#5 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:33 PM

We have the Thetford Curve porta-potti which is close to the regular toilet height.  We use it at night.  During the day it is stored in the lower Grandby cabinet.  I had them leave the cabinet doors off.  I cut the cabinet face place just wide enough to allow the toilet to be slide in where a curtain rod keeps it from moving and is covered by a curtain.  Pictures on my blog.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:57 AM

We use a PETT during the night. Can't ever recall setting it up any other time. When our supply of bags runs out we'll likely just buy the "Poo Powder" and supply our own bags.

For those with Port-a-Loos and the like I'll suggest having a look at the powder. It does great job.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#7 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:26 AM

After reading the posts on this thread I went out and took a closer look at the porta potty I got from FWC. It looks like it would be difficult to use without having a horrible mess to contend with. I don't even see how I could fit a wag bag in it, so I went on Amazon and ordered one of those Luggable Loo portable 5 gallon toilets. I looks like that will work much better than the porta potty. It should fit in that end space under the couch no problem. Good thing I figured this out before I actually needed to use it. Thanks for the thread.

I bought a lot of 100 wag bags on eBay. I would be interested to hear opinions of forum members re: pros & cons of poo powder vs. kitty litter.

Thanks.

#8 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:08 PM

2020 That's what this thread is about. Don't know which camper you have but in my Eagle the 5 gallon won't fit under the couch. The 3 gallon bucket will.

I haven't used a Thetford Potra Pot in a while. But a few years ago we had a larger 5 gallon model at a family camp. It was heavy and hard to carry. It didn't flush well at all and TP used to get stuck in the little gate valve thing that closed the lower tank. I had to make a wire hook to clean that valve slot. And it had to be done all the time or it would leak when moved. Emptying the tank at home was no fun at all. Pretty hard to dump it without splashing the mess and even with the chemical in the tank it stunk! Plus 5 gallons of water just to flush the toilet is a lot of weight. Seat and bowl was tiny. I "think" the ones for the camper are 3 gal. They are even smaller.

I'm sure for many they are a viable solution. Just not my 1st choice because of my past experience. That and $100 is $100 I could use elsewhere. I have a bucket Loo. It's not perfect but gets the job done.

Can't comment on the powder bags as I've not used them.

Edited by Squatch, 31 March 2015 - 06:10 PM.

#9 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:27 PM

I have a 2014 Grandby. If the dimensions listed on Amazon are correct the 5 gallon Luggable Loo should fit. Loo: H 15.6" X W 13.5" - space under end of couch H 17.25 X W 14.25". Looks like an ideal match. I will be lining the loo with wag bags so there will be no flushing at home or elsewhere. Poo powder gels & solidifies liquid & solid waste which eliminates odor. They are approved for landfill so just toss into the nearest dumpster and you're done. I can store wag bags & TP inside the Loo, also. 

#10 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:21 PM

Yeppers, I was in a Grandby at the east coast show. Much higher counters and such. So much so I thought they might be too high for my short wife. I imagine it will be a good fit for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users