#11 Desertratduo

Desertratduo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:32 PM

Hi there,
here's a plug for the Chevy Colorado diesel /Fleet combo. We love ours!! The truck is very comfortable and handles the load well (altho we did installer additional leaf springs after airbags failed) and still gets great mileage (22.1 gal avg over 16,461 mi trip across Canada). Had no problems getting fuel or DEF. We feel the performance outweighs the additional costs of the diesel option in truck. We go up (speed) and down (autobraking) hills without problems. Anyone out there considering the Colorado Diesel we would be happy to answer questions...

2016 Colorado Diesel Z71 4WD Longbed and FWC Fleet

#12 michgoblue

michgoblue

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:56 PM

I have 9000 miles on my Colorado Duramxax diesel and use it both as my camper hauler and as a daily driver.  With my Phoenix pop-up I average 22-25, and even towing a trailer over the Canadian Rockies I still averaged 18.5.

I just wish I could fit a full size Hawk or something similar on mine as I cannot afford a new Fleet and good used ones are hard to come by since they sell so fast!

#13 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,964 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:47 AM

Every time I see you guys getting 22+ mpg I wonder about getting one of these.  I just did the math and even if I figure you get 2x the fuel economy I get in my 2500HD, the ROI is still 31 years.   :huh:  :blink:  :o

So, I guess I will wait a bit longer...

#14 michgoblue

michgoblue

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:42 PM

For me it was worthwhile as I was replacing my daily driver and needed something with good fuel economy for that.  The truck is so comfortable that we've been driving it way more than my wife's Infiniti hardtop convertible, so saving wear and tear on that as well.

#15 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:42 PM

I have a similar set up to the op ('16 F-350 long bed cc with '16 Hallmark Everest) although I am a bit longer and can commiserate about parking in the city. If I had to do it over with I would love to put a flat bed on mine and an even larger camper! Way too much wasted space that would make for more useable storage or living space.

Like others have said I too bought a beater, in my case a 2 wd Ranger that gets about 25 mpg and have saved enough money in fuel costs over the past few years to have paid for it.

As another data point I got 15 mpg on a recent 3000 mile trip with my F-350 to Canada and am happy...

Edited by smlobx, 13 October 2017 - 05:45 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#16 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

I have the RAM 1500 w/ the 3.0L diesel and love it.  I had the Eagle on a V8 Dakota and it did fine but I couldn't pass anyone very quickly.  With the diesel, no issues.  I have the camper on it permanently and get about 19ish on average.  I have 3.92 gears which probably eats 1-2mpg and 20" rims on it which may hurt a little.  I wish I got 25mpg but am overall happy.  You have a lot of options.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#17 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:20 PM

At 6'9" you need to stay big. 

Tend to agree. And I'd use your height as a major deciding factor.

I'd test the Colorado for "fit" and research the Fleet FB for (sleeping) bed and interior height specs, ditto the Granby FB. Another possible consideration is if the FB will be on full time, as many seem to be. Will you still need the use a PU or trailer ?

I like the 3rd option proposed, that of a shorter DD. But again, can you fit in one comfortably and do you have somewhere to park/store it (always a consideration for more "stuff")

Do your research then go with what will make you happy - but in a prudent way ;) - life is too short to do otherwise...

#18 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:49 PM

Seldom, if you decide to go for a new camper give the ATC gang a call as well.   The N-S king size bed in our Bobcat sure beats the E-W sleeping arrangements in our previous camper.   

I am surprised that your mileage is down in the 13 range, that is what we get with the big truck and a (3,000 lb wet) hard side camper on.   Is it related to terrain, or could you have a maintenance issue that doesn't show up other than in mileage?

I am haunted by waters

#19 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:46 PM

Every time I see you guys getting 22+ mpg I wonder about getting one of these.  I just did the math and even if I figure you get 2x the fuel economy I get in my 2500HD, the ROI is still 31 years.   :huh:  :blink:  :o

So, I guess I will wait a bit longer...

Hi Vic
How do you figure the ROI? Is there line item for service/maintenance calculated in. I guess what stuck out was the 31 years.Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#20 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:03 PM

^ I too wondered about the ROI reference. A personal use truck for a camper. Are they not an expense, the product of discretionary spending ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users