37 replies to this topic

#1 coguzzi

coguzzi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:29 PM

I currently own a 02 Tundra access cab with a 13 FWC Hawk in it, fairly loaded camper (hot water, awning etc), so i would guess 1300lbs give or take. Tundra i did add-a-leaf, bilsteen 5100's, and air bags with day star cradles. Tundra handles the camper OK, not awesome, but workable and i have taken it lots of places, even some i should not have been. pretty much just a camper rig, not a daily driver and camper is in 90% of the time.

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading trucks and the Ram Power Wagon is on my short list. I test drove a '12 last week at the Dodge lot and liked it (even though the particular truck was neglected and not on my rador) they are telling me to come back next week and try the new '15 power wagon with the 6.4L coil sprung, claim it gets even better milage and rides nicer.

Reason i like power wagons is that right out of the box from the factory they have what i want, factory winch, sway bar disconnect, lockers, skid plates etc. Rubicon of the truck world (i own a rubicon as well--love the sway bar disconnect). the older i get the more i like stuff that just works from the factory.

my problem is cargo capacity, the '12 (leaf spring) is rated 1884lbs and the '15 (coil spring) is rated 1440lbs. compare this to a normal Ram 2500, '12 (leaf spring) rated 2500lbs and '15 (coil spring) rated 3510lbs. weird the '15 coil spring truck is more--and can carry alot.

Im kind of worried if the power wagon is actually a good fit for a four wheel camper--without tons of mods alah 1/2 ton trucks. i think air bags would be required at a minimum and i think day star cradles are mandatory for any air bag install. or should i just suck it up and get a 2500 for the capacity and plan to add a winch (that would probably require a bumper and more $) and live with out sway bar disconnect and lockers. power wagons cost $6 more than a normal 2500, so winch and bumper is right about there.

looking for thought, hopefully from people who have also had this dilemma

#2 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:51 PM

The Power Wagon, as attractive as it is because it's set up for offroad, is still a half ton truck.  The payload is decreased because of the offroad add ons.  Personally, I wouldn't consider it because you're paying for suspension mods that you'll need to augment to carry the camper.  I can add a winch and bumper to my set up for about $3,000.

A 3/4 ton or above with an offroad package would by my choice and was.  Completely happy with it.

#3 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:54 PM

Just a comment on weights - most people, myself included tend to underestimate the weight of camper and gear.  I've got a pretty standard 2014 Hawk and it's empty weight is 1225.  Once I fill up the water and propane it's about 1460 before I even add any camping gear.  Probably 1600 to 1700 lbs when I head out.

I have a GMC 2500HD and I weighed it once when leaving town for a week-long trip, it was just short of 8700 lbs gross.  

Based on that, I'd go with a 3/4 ton truck.

Edited by PJorgen, 04 May 2015 - 06:05 PM.

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#4 coguzzi

coguzzi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:06 PM

the power wagon TECHNICALLY is a 3/4 ton truck, built on the 2500 chassis with the same axles etc (lower gearing though). it has a softer suspension for articulation purposes which it seems drastically effects the cargo capacity. its listed in the 2500 section of dodges website, everything shared except for suspension and the extra off road goodies. 100% agree most people underestimate the camper weight, i really should weigh mine. i regularly haul a small honda CT110 trail bike on a hitch mount as well (130lb bike plus hitch rack).

#5 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:43 AM

I wonder if it would be possible to just change out the springs with a standard 2500?  As was mentioned, the Power Wagon springs a probably lighter to deal with the articulation and it's attempt at being an oversized Jeep.  I guess it also depends on axles and brakes, but if it is truly built on the same running gear, then a spring change should be relatively easy and cheap.

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#6 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:04 AM

If the PW has 3/4T frame and running gear except suspension, changing springs would be a good way to go.  I have a '12 Ram 2500 carrying my Grandby and am very happy with my choice.  The truck hardly knows the camper is there; the ride feels better with the camper on.  Handles very well in cross-winds.  Feels stable off-camber.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#7 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:17 AM

i have a 2015 power wagon, and a hawk. it works great as is. if you change the springs it wont be a power wagon. i am very happy with the truck i did replace the 8ply tires with 10ply nitto trail grappler mt.  this thing is a beast!

#8 MANXMAN

MANXMAN

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:45 AM

the power wagon TECHNICALLY is a 3/4 ton truck, built on the 2500 chassis with the same axles etc (lower gearing though). it has a softer suspension for articulation purposes which it seems drastically effects the cargo capacity. its listed in the 2500 section of dodges website, everything shared except for suspension and the extra off road goodies. 100% agree most people underestimate the camper weight, i really should weigh mine. i regularly haul a small honda CT110 trail bike on a hitch mount as well (130lb bike plus hitch rack).

If the Power Wagon's selling point is it's softer sprung off road suspension, I have to wonder how the weight of a loaded Hawk will affect its abilities. It has a payload capacity of just 1900 lbs.
When you factor in the weight of a well equipped Hawk, all it's contents for a trip including water and two people, you will be over the payload of this truck.

Once you max out the Power Wagon's suspension with more weight than Dodge designed it to carry, it's hard to believe this truck is a better choice than a true 3/4 ton truck for hauling a camper.

2014 F150 S/C V8 4X4
2014 ATC Manx Flatbed Pop-Up Camper

2017 F350 S/C V8 4X4

2017 ATC Manx Flatbed Pop-Up Camper

#9 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:44 PM

it all depends on what your needs are. i never said it was a better choice than any other truck  I use mine for hunting trips  My backyard is the Sequoia national forest.  i have had many trucks and campers or the years , it works for me..

#10 coguzzi

coguzzi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:45 PM

snuffy, how loaded is your Hawk on the 15 power wagon and what mods have you done to the truck? just a shell, or fairly loaded camper? im a side dinette, compressor fridge, hot water, awning, solar etc. fairly loaded. excited you responded since its probably the combination im looking at the most--order exactly what i want or not much $ more than a used. the dealer claimed they could get me into a new truck for about $3k more than the 12 i drove with the incentives etc

it is true a power wagon is build on the 2500 truck, but its also lifted 2" over a stock 2500, so i wonder if a spring swap is even feasable. leaf spring trucks (10-13) would be easy enough im sure, block could go in as a last resort to get the 2" back (not really a block fan), but the coil spring trucks in bet a 2500 coil is just to short. dont seem to be much aftermarket yet for heavier coils either

Edited by coguzzi, 05 May 2015 - 04:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users