• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:15 AM

I searched for this topic, but found nothing, so I started this one.  For those who live (or not) in California, who own a 3/4 or 1 ton, what is the cost of ownership (not operating cost) for a 3/4 T diesel vs. 1 T diesel, ie; registration/tax, special maintenance requirement between the two trucks, etc. Does a 1 Ton cost a great deal more to own and maintain than a 3/4 Ton.  I know there isn't much of a price difference between the two trucks at the dealership, but afterwards.... I have a (almost) full Hawk. 

Thank you... 

#2 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:20 AM

I don't live in California, but some insurance policies state a personal vehicle or insured vehicle is one with a GVWR of less than 10k lbs.  Two insurance companies I worked for had this in their policy language but wrote policies for one-tons all day long and never enforced the policy language relative to liability.

#3 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:33 AM

Link for state license fees:

https://www.fhwa.dot...s/2001/pt11.htm

Maintenance, no difference.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#4 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:48 PM

Weight fees I can see being a difference since you're charged by the max weight that the truck can legally carry. If you don't ever take the camper off to haul stuff I'd convert it from a "commercial" registration type.

A physical difference that may or may not matter to you is that 1tons have cab clearance lights, 3/4tons & lighter do not unless owner-added. If the lights are there, they have to work or you could be given a fix-it ticket.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#5 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:02 PM

I keep my camper on year round.  I learned years ago, if you cover the pickup bed with a simple Leer type shell or camper, then you may register the truck w/o commercial plates as long as you never take off the shell/camper.  Does this apply to a 1ton with camper on 100% of the time???   

#6 LookyLou

LookyLou

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:25 PM

My 2013 Chevy 3500 with diesel has an unladen weight of 7,600 lbs.  The 2500 weight about the same.  I'm just under 5 tons with camper and gear.  Cost to register in CA for the coming year is $603.  If you choose to convert to a non-commercial registration because of the camper in the back, you can no longer carry anything in the back other than the camper.

There's no difference in maintenance costs.

#7 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:24 AM

Thanks.... this info is what I'm looking for.  So, I will never carry anything else besides the camper....Then one can go non commercial registration (with camper on) either with a 2500 or 3500?   

#8 LookyLou

LookyLou

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:19 AM

See the last sentence below about temporary versus permanent mounting.

Thanks.... this info is what I'm looking for.  So, I will never carry anything else besides the camper....Then one can go non commercial registration (with camper on) either with a 2500 or 3500?   

Pickup (CVC §471)

A motor truck with a manufacturer's GVWR of less than 11,500 pounds and an unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, which is equipped with an open box-type bed less than nine feet in length.

• Pickup truck does not include a motor vehicle, otherwise meeting the above definition, which is equipped with a bed-mounted storage compartment commonly called a utility body.
  • California Code of Regulations (CCR) §150.04(a) further defines pickup trucks:
    "Pursuant to California Vehicle Code §471, any motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, motorized bicycle, or motorized quadricycle, with an open box-type bed not exceeding nine (9) feet in length is by definition a pickup."
  • Examples: Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Nissan Frontier, and other similarly designed vehicles.

Pickup Exclusions

The following trucks are not pickups:

• Trucks with an open box-type bed that weigh more than 8,000 pounds unladen or exceed the manufacturer's GVWR of 11,500 pounds ("varied" BTM)
  • Trucks equipped with a bed-mounted storage compartment unit commonly called a "utility body" ("utility" BTM)
  • Trucks with a body type other than an open box bed (stake, flatbed, dump, etc. BTM).

A pickup with a camper:

• Temporarily-attached is a commercial vehicle and the camper is a load.
  • Permanently-attached meets the definition of a housecar (CVC §362) and may be registered as a passenger vehicle.

Edited by LookyLou, 31 August 2015 - 02:21 AM.

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:57 PM

I'm curious what the CHP's definitions of "Temporary" and "Permanent" are.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 slus

slus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:19 PM

A physical difference that may or may not matter to you is that 1tons have cab clearance lights, 3/4tons & lighter do not unless owner-added. If the lights are there, they have to work or you could be given a fix-it ticket.

I see 1 tons without marker lights all the time. Every day actually, as my F350 is most certainly a 1 ton and has no cab marker lights. Perhaps you mean DRW 1 tons. 

I keep my camper on year round.  I learned years ago, if you cover the pickup bed with a simple Leer type shell or camper, then you may register the truck w/o commercial plates as long as you never take off the shell/camper.  Does this apply to a 1ton with camper on 100% of the time???   

Unfortunately I went round and round with the DMV on this recently, and all signs point to this DMV rule changing. Regular Leer type camper shells no longer seem to qualify for the passenger car plates unless fit for "human habitation" e.g. toilet, cabinets, bed etc. I really wanted to ditch the commercial plates on my Tacoma by putting on a shell. 

DMV link: http://apps.dmv.ca.g...011/11vin29.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users