Photo

"Smart" brand lithium battery - drop in replacement (?)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 01:27 PM

Does anyone have any experience with THIS brand of battery?
Yes, I know they are EXPENSIVE, but the numbers (they present) look like they pencil out very well in the long run....well, that is the claim.
These are presented as "drop-in" replacements to lead/acid batteries since they have "Smart" protection circuits/chips to keep them from overcharging etc. plus smart enough to bypass dead cells down the road.
Interesting presentation and technology, if nothing else. I see it as at least worth researching (obviously).

http://www.lithiumio...s.com/index.php

Opinion responses are welcome, but really looking for EXPERIENCE with THIS battery....

#2 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 02 September 2015 - 01:55 PM

I hope someone gives these a try before I need new batteries. Would be great to have a battery last 10 years.

1.png

Their chart is off on cost as I know no one who gets less than a year on a battery. I would feel 3 years would be an average. So cost would be close to a push. Light weight and battery life would be great for me. 

Edited by billharr, 02 September 2015 - 02:02 PM.

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:35 PM

Bill, I agree that comparison is greatly skewed. Is there other information or assumptions made by Smart Battery that factors in?

Depending on application and care, I get between 3 and 5 years out of lead acid batteries.

$340 is one very expensive lead acid battery, as well.

I am haunted by waters

#4 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:54 PM

I don't have any experience with this specific battery but I do have a Lithium LiFePo installed in my Hawk and it runs very well. I replaced two Exide 75Ah (110#) with a single Lithium 100Ah (28#s) battery. This is not a drop in replacement as advertised by this Smart Battery. The drop in replacement idea sounds easy but in reality, the charge management of a Lithium is completely different from a AGM/Lead Acid battery. The charge cycle is not the same and a Lithium does not require a equalization or float stage. It charges up and disconnects. Thats it. You then use and discharge till it reaches a set point (usually 12v) then the charger reconnects and starts charging again. The Lithium also doesn't mind being stored in a partial charged state.

Some of the claims made in the Smart Battery website is unwise. You can't discharge the battery to 8v. That would destroy the battery. It is true that you can discharge the Lithium much more than an AGM, as much as down to 20% vs a lead acid 50%. Charging a Lithium is also much more efficient. The internal resistance of a Lithium is much less than a AGM and thus will charge up much quicker with less lost to heat. Your solar panels will like that. The combined higher discharge % and more efficient charging allows a lower capacity Lithium replacement for a much larger capacity Lead Acid.

If your up to the challenge, this is a great way to go. For me, the most complicated part was figuring out the charge controller to use and setting it up. Anyone wanting to try this, I would gladly share whatever information I have. 

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

#5 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:38 PM

Might the only one year life span of the LA battery be based on the very high number of charge/discharge cycles?
I don't think there are too many folk who exercise their batteries that much, but I can see their wanting to exploit the large difference of cycles available in their advertising.....if it is real...?
I don't have any answers.... This stuff is new to me.
But life has taught me that "Anything too good to be true....likely isn't".
So I'm attempting due diligence here by tapping this forum's member knowledge.

Thanks for sharing....

#6 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:43 AM

These batteries have tremendous potential. Lighter weight, deeper discharge potential and faster charging are all welcome changes. Once this is realized our solar panels or our trucks will easily charge our camper batteries just like our cellphones. It is a linear relationship of charging, very different from charging a lead acid battery.

The problem is that our panels and controllers and trucks don't yet play well with them like plugging in a usb to charge your phone. And they cost way too much now.

In 10 years (or less) we are likely to see several trucks and campers with this type of setup.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:14 AM

And a huge change in the efficiency of solar panels is around the corner.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:20 AM

And a huge change in the efficiency of solar panels is around the corner.

Please share!
I love this topic.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:34 AM

Please share!
I love this topic.

I do not know a great deal, but someone in the academic world is talking incredible improvements. Can we imagine a day when we are all off the grid?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:20 PM

I'm excited to see this technology in the future.

: )

But the data on that chart above doesn't apply to our campers. The price point is still too far off for my liking.

You can do the same thing, have the same amount of power, for about $200 - $400 using a lead acid battery, or a sealed AGM battery in small pop-up campers like we all use.

Worst case our customers might spend $500 on good batteries every 5 years (and that is usually on the high end).

Edited by Stan@FourWheel, 03 September 2015 - 03:20 PM.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users