• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:31 PM

Our summer 2015 Canadian Rockies trip included a one week stay at Banff CNP's Lake Louise Soft-side Campground and a hike on nearby Yoho CNP's Iceline Trail.  The Iceline trail was our pick for the best hike of the year and is a strenuous 15+ kilometer (10+ mile) loop including a climb of around 700 meters (2,000+ feet).  We enjoyed our stay at busy Lake Louise Soft-side Campground with reservations and showers.  Canada Route 1, the Trans-Canada Highway, connects Lake Louise and Yoho Valley Road.  The trailhead is at the end of the Yoho Valley Road and scenic Takakkaw Falls.  We did a counter-clockwise hike going up along the Yoho River to Laughing Falls and climbing from there to the northern end of the Iceline Trail.  

High country view along the Iceline Trails north end:

gallery_5179_727_3608334.jpg

One of several glaciers along the Iceline Trail:

gallery_5179_727_8485766.jpg

View east across the Yoho River Valley from the Iceline Trail:

gallery_5179_727_1901110.jpg

The glaciers feeding Takakkaw Falls across the Yoho River Valley:

gallery_5179_727_5099777.jpg

More glaciers along the Iceline Trail:

gallery_5179_727_3064463.jpg

Takakkaw Falls which is one of the highest in North America:

gallery_5179_727_3184690.jpg

A rain shower passed between us on the Iceline Trail and the mountain ridge containing Takakkaw Falls.  This rainbow appeared below us while Takakkaw Falls and the mountain ridge are veiled by the rain shower:

gallery_5179_727_679493.jpg

Viewing Takakkaw Falls at the base of the falls is a half kilometer walk from the parking lot and one of the classic sights of the Canadian Rockies.

Edited by iowahiker, 02 March 2016 - 09:54 PM.

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,340 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:38 PM

Spectacular country!

Is this the campground you mention?

Lake Louise Campground

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:06 PM

ski3pin, No.  I am not aware of a campground near Lake Louise proper.  Lake Louise Hard-side and Soft-side campgrounds are very near Canadian Route 1 at the edge of Lake Louise Village.  The layout is exit Canada Route 1 at Lake Louise, then comes the Canadian National Railway tracks, then Lake Louise Hard-side campground, then the Bow River, and then Lake Louise Soft-side campground all very near each other (Route 1, railroad, campgrounds, river) at the south edge of Lake Louise Village.  There are a large number of hotels very near Lake Louise proper which is a very busy place.  The Lake Louise Soft-side campground is operated by the Canadian National Park Service and we used their web site to make reservations.  Note: I edited in more text in the original post for the pictures.

I also missed this picture in the original post (marmot on the Dolomite Pass trail north of Lake Louise):

gallery_5179_727_4039906.jpg

Edited by iowahiker, 02 March 2016 - 11:04 PM.

#4 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:33 AM

Iowahiker, Looks like a great trip. Aweful pricy for a night. Our National Parks, geezer card price $7. Heard it was going up a little. Indiana State Parks $26. Thanks for posting. Jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,340 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:42 AM

iowahiker, thanks for the info. I found it on Google Earth. I believe the map on that linked website is in error.

Great whistle pig photo!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:43 AM

longhorn1, Lake Louise Campground was $C 27.5 per night which is $US 21 with hot showers and flush toilets.  We camp in Indiana all the time at State Parks (Turkey Run, Shades, etc.) and pay more.  Staying at the no reservation, no shower campgrounds north of Lake Louise was cheaper.  Driving the Icefields Parkway is one of North America's most scenic drives.  The National Park Entrance fee is more expensive, $C130 or $US 100 for one year.  We have visited the Canadian Rockies four times including our honeymoon.

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,966 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:46 AM

Hey, that's my backyard!  We love Yoho, and hike there often.  If you get a chance, see if you can book some time up at Lake O'Hara.  THE nicest spot in the Rockies.  Very hard to get in though, as there are only 24 campsites and they bus you in, so you have to be self contained - on your back.  I'll dig through my photos and see if I can't find some good ones.

#8 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:00 AM

Iowahiker. Let me know when you come to Indiana. Going to Turkey Run 6/24 - 6/26 for weekend trip. Wasn't thinking about the Canadian $$. Indiana is more expensive than other states.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Edited by longhorn1, 03 March 2016 - 02:08 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#9 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:01 AM

Vic,  We did hike up to Lake O'Hara on this trip since the bus was all reserved.  We figured the hike up the road was a good use of a rainy day.  Staying at the Lake O'Hara Lodge is our dream trip.  We met a couple of Canadian day hikers on the Appalachian Trail in Georgia who had stayed at Lake O'Hara Lodge.  They drove a Toyota Corolla and spent the savings on hiking related lodges.

#10 N'kwala

N'kwala

Geezelle

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationwest coast

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:11 AM

longhorn1, Lake Louise Campground was $C 27.5 per night which is $US 21 with hot showers and flush toilets.  We camp in Indiana all the time at State Parks (Turkey Run, Shades, etc.) and pay more.  Staying at the no reservation, no shower campgrounds north of Lake Louise was cheaper.  Driving the Icefields Parkway is one of North America's most scenic drives.  The National Park Entrance fee is more expensive, $C130 or $US 100 for one year.  We have visited the Canadian Rockies four times including our honeymoon.

???  I just checked the Parks Canada website.  Park Entrance fee is $C 9.80 per day or $C67 for a year.  Or less at the reduced geezer rate. Given the pathetic exchange rate just now, really not too bad for Yank visitors.   http://www.pc.gc.ca/...ee_E.asp?park=1  And note some of the unserviced campgrounds are really cheap, and pretty nice.  (I wouldn't recommend the overflow CGs, though.)

That said, thanks for the report on a wonderful hike, and great photos.  

Edited by N'kwala, 03 March 2016 - 05:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users