• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:38 PM

For Christmas my sons gave me (at my suggestion) a Rampage jerry can tool box for the new camper. I have two AT can holders mounted on the back of our ATC Panther.

However, as a tool box my opinion is that this product is quite inferior to a conventional tool box due to overall lack of space, especially for longer tools.

Hmmm... what to do? Then it hit me, it would make a great overland first aid kit.

So here's my questions. What do you use for your first aid kit? What are some essential items other that the obvious bandages, ointments, etc?

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:06 PM

A thought... We have a kit that my sister the paramedic created for members of our kayak group. If we have a similar person on WTW, they might lend a voice to this thread. Excellent topic!

I am haunted by waters

#3 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:24 PM

One of these. https://www.rei.com/...-splint-x-large

And some 3" or 4" vet wrap to hold it on.
http://www.amazon.co...:aps,k:vet wrap

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:07 AM

We have this kit in each of our backpacks - along with extra gloves, SAM splint, duct tape, and strapping tape. In the Lady's daily driver (for school) is a mid sized First Responder pack.

A full weekend Wilderness First Aid class or much longer class tine Wilderness First Responder training is also helpful.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 The Unshaven

The Unshaven

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationVentura County, CA

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:25 AM

I have an Adventure Medical Kits "Hunter", one that predates the current "Sportsman" line. To it I have added a mylar blanket, antacid tablets, chewable pepto, eye drops, allergy relief pills, small magnifying glass, decent tweezers, better shears, electrical tape, hand sanitizer (not a replacement for soap and clean water, but faster and better than nothing), lost tooth filling and loose cap repair, alcohol swabs, triangular bandage, extra safety pins, extra roller gauze, combat gauze, QuikClot sponges, wound seal powder, butterfly type wound closures, and extra pads/sponges/bandages of assorted sizes. I tried to fit in a sledge hammer for anesthesia, but it wouldn't fit... 

On a side note, at least once a year I go through it and replace any out of date meds, etc. or scummy looking material. The most important thing to do is to be familiar with and practice with the materials you have in your kit. Practice wrapping a wound, putting on a sling or splint on yourself and others, etc. Before each trip I look through my kit just to stay sharp on its location and contents. Familiarity, knowledge, and capability are the three most overlooked necessities in a first aid kit or situation. Taking a cpr / fist aid class if you haven't ever done so can be very enlightening.   

2015 FWC Fleet on 2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:33 AM

Gear is good but knowing what to do is better. I carry my full trauma kit in the Jeep and a smaller kit in the truck. I'm sure I've told the story before where I was on a Jeep run and the Jeep behind rolled five times. All kinds of people ran up carrying fist size first aid kits. Wouldn't have been much use if he'd been seriously injured. What sucked was the time It took me to untie my box (don't want it flying around if I roll). Fortunately his roll cage did the job and he was more rattled than injured. 

Added the wound seal powder to the kit but I gave up on trying to keep meds up to date. Hadn't thought of a filling repair, good idea.

Training is great. Helps keep you and others from panicking. I wish they hadn't gotten away from teaching ABC. To me at least, when your'e faced with something horrible your training can be hard to recall but if you remember airway, breathing, circulation you can calm down enough to remember the rest. Amazing how one calm person can keep the patient and bystanders calm also.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:34 PM

a couple things I added a few years back....all the above and...in a 1.5" diameter, 4 inch long, clear plastic tube...with caps from tap plastic....a 2oz bottle of chlorine with an eye dropper...and in the same size tube...a small bottle of iodine with an eye dropper.  The 1.5" tube gives you enough room for the small bubble wrap around the bottle....and the tap plastic caps make it water resistant....

use a few drops of chlorine in a remotely refilled water tank...even when filtered

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#8 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:55 AM

"Added the wound seal powder to the kit but I gave up on trying to keep meds up to date. Hadn't thought of a filling repair, good idea."

I got a hold of some quick clot gauze. I throw a tourniquet and an Ole Bandage in the camper and the truck simply for easy access.

For those travelling Baja - be prepared to manage an altercation with a sting ray - not pleasant.

#9 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:16 AM

Thanks for all the good advice. Please keep it coming..........

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#10 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:03 PM

I always keep some super glue handy.  Works great for closing wounds, is waterproof and stays in place better than bandages.  

Agree with training and knowledge being the most important thing, used to do the ski patrol thing and can still pass the practical part of a test years later, the terminology part not so much.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users