Photo
* * * * * 1 vote(s)

Full build - Reconstructing a 1981 Grandby into a custom Hawk!

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#231 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:47 AM

Got in some more work during the past week or so, and this weekend. Apparently I have spurts of times when I get on this project and stay with it. So, here's an update on what I have gotten done so far.

cabinets completed, ready for stain and finish

All the cabinets lined up and ready for stain and finishing.

Staining underway

Staining underway. Surprising how much room the cabinets take up outside the camper, but fit together nicely inside.

Cabinets installed

All the cabinets installed and ready to add fridge, heater, and begin wiring and running propane lines.

Vents cut to match compressor location on Isotherm 130L
Vent cover to complement interior

Added a vent to fit the compressor configuration on the Isotherm 130L, allowing an airstream across the compressor and fins for cooling. Couldn't think of another way to do it, as the compressor is on the top right side corner. Two vents on the outside stacked one above the other doesn't match the need here in my estimation, plus the manual suggests cross ventilation as well. So I think this should work pretty well.

Propane Tank box
Close view of propane box

I chose to build a wooden propane box as part of my cabinetry. It is sealed on all cracks and seams with silicone caulking, and painted with an oil based enamel paint. With the exterior door vented it should be safe and okay. My previous donor camper had a wooden propane box from the factory, and this is the door from that arrangement.

Looks like a wire harness!
Wiring completed

Wiring for Fridge, Solar outlet, heater,  ceiling fans and roof lights, exterior porch and flood lights, and exterior marker lights, all converge into a electrical control area tucked away at the front of the galley side. Almost looks like a wire harness in a car.

Fridge and furnace installed and hooked up

Fridge and furnace installed and hooked up. Counter tops coming next, and the stovetop and sink will then be installed. Stovetop is setting in place to determine propane hose hookup length. Also working on the seat boxes, and water tank cabinet box.

I chose to stay with the same wood tones as the wall paneling. It's a lot  of the same color, but I'm figuring the black fridge and furnace cover give a good contrast, and the formica counter tops and  table top will be a nearly black granite pattern as well. The seat cushion fabric will match the bed cushions. The fabric material looks better in real, the photos seem to change the tones a bit. Im getting pretty excited as completion nears. I had the fridge running all day today, and it's so cool to have added that to the camper, its going to be real nice.

That's about it for now, thanks for checking it out.

Poky

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#232 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:58 AM

nice work poky!

#233 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:03 PM

Looks like it's coming along nicely.

Your work is first rate.

Thanks for posting.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#234 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:08 PM

What a huge undertaking. looking good

Russ

F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#235 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:16 AM

Pokey, awesome work, jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#236 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:37 AM

Vic, Frank, Russ, and JD, thanks so much for your comments, I do appreciate it!

Having others follow your progress and give feedback is motivating for sure. It will be a good thing when this build is complete, and that isn't too far away now. I look forward to sharing my experiences using it. I have a couple outings coming up in October, so I'm working hard to have it ready, thus the push over the last month or so. Can't wait!

Poky

Edited by PokyBro, 20 September 2017 - 05:38 AM.

#237 Living The Dream

Living The Dream

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFront Range, Colorado

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:16 AM

Poky!!! Looking 100% amazing.  Just when I thought I was going to catch up to you, you do a big push and put together some really nice work!  Keep it up!

My youtube channel about my Four Wheel Camper - https://www.youtube.com/c/timmorrissey

All about my camper - https://www.tgmorrissey.com/camper

Item I used in my build- http://bit.ly/TGMorrisseyParts

#238 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:16 PM

Hello folks, time for an update!

As with last year, I've had a push to get things together and operable for my fall elk hunt. Last year I had installed a temporary gallery, and now have the new, permanent galley installed. Since my last post I completed the counter tops with a laminant surface, and t-molding edging. I tried to choose colors that would blend in with my interior so far, and it seems pretty nice except the flooring, so I'll be redoing that before I cinch everything down one last time. It will be a darker wood grained vinyl flooring.

Anyhow here's a few photos to bring us up to date.

Galley with Laminate tops installed
Galley with SMEV 2 burner stove and sink

The Isotherm 130 fridge turned out to be fantastic. Kept everything cold on setting 3. Had ground meat in the freezer for one week, and stayed completely frozen. Noise from the compressor was negligible and didn't annoy me at all. Kind of just like home if you're in the kitchen. Plus the heater is much noisier if you want na comparison.

My small fridge vent from the outside wall was very adequate for this time of year, I'll have to see in the summer. Because I have a cross vent above the stove inside, I learned a couple of things I need to address. Dust and flies (insects). I'll be putting an air filter over that vent from the inside wall behind the fridge. I rigged it so I can't take it out pretty easily, so before summer, that will be done.

Isotherm 130 Fridge and Atwood Hydroflame 1800 BTU furnace
Isotherm 130 fridge inside

I reinstalled my electrical items as before, up front in a cabinet, where it's easy to get to. I also installed a new Honeywell digital, heat only, thermometer, which I love compared to the old manual one. Keeps the temperature within 2-3 degrees, and easy to read with a lit display.

Control cabinets with Tracer 20 A MPPT solar charge controller, and Blue Sea fuse block and Negative bus bar
Honeywell heat only thermostat

Over the summer, I picked up a brand new SMEV flush top, 2 burner stove, and a brand new Atwood Hydroflame 18,000 BTU furnace for excellent prices. Neither had seen any use before. Classifieds have really paid off in this build. I just keep my eyes open for things, and if its an improvement, and the price is right, I jump on it.

However, you never know for sure what your getting, so you have to be careful. Such was the case on the furnace. I hooked up the propane, and the electrical via the thermostat, hit the on switch and the fan started up, but the burner did not. eeeerrrhh! I didn't know this beforehand, but when I pulled the control board off to have a look, there was a flashing light behind I couldn't see until the board was removed. In addition, there was a grid label that specified what was not functioning using flashes and pauses. Turned out it was a problem with the sail switch. I pulled it out, checked continuity, and function, put it back in, and the furnace fired right up. Sweet! Thought maybe because I had had it setting on end, it might have jammed the sail switch a little. Anyhow, my old furnace was 12,000 BTU with a pilot light, this one is DSI (direct spark ignition), and 18,000 BTU. It heats up the rig faster, and cycles less, which was exactly what I was hoping for.

Atwood Hydroflame electronic control board
Diagnostics grid behind plate

My plans were to have a side dinette, and though not finished it's coming right along. Up front is a cabinet for the water tank, and to the right is the battery compartment. I replaced my single 12 volt deep cycle with 2 6-volt golf cart batteries (Another good deal on classifieds, as I always try to keep the expenses down). They provided more than enough power for my needs on my recent trip, along with the 160 watt solar roof panel to keep them topped off. When folded out, the bed will be 31" x  82", so plenty enough room for an adult. My son tried it out when we we on his elk hunt, and he was pretty comfy.

Lower bunk and side dinette
Battery box - 2  6-volt golf cart batteries

Edited by PokyBro, 24 October 2017 - 01:04 AM.

#239 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:33 PM

I also just returned from my fall elk hunt and here's some photos from that trip. I still have quite a bit of meat left from previous years, so I didn't try very hard this time, and thus didn't bring one home on this outing, which was okay by me. It was mostly an excuse and a reason to get out there.

This was on my son's hunt in Utah around the Fairview area.

Roadside camp
Roadside camp 2

Snow on opening day at about 9:00 am. You never know in Colorado how big the storm is going to be or how long it will last, so I headed back to camp and prepared for the worst. I've spent many a storm huddled under a tree with a poncho wrapped around me, but not this year! My method to be ready for a layer of snow on the camper, is to throw a tarp over top, and when the storm is over, you can pull the tarp off, and the snow comes with it. 

Ready for the snow storm 2
Ready for the snow storm
Cozy inside

I was entertained by the beaver activity again this year. This one may be the same guy behind my camp as last year.

Beaver dam
Beaver dam
Nr Beaver out for a meal

To me this is just plain beautiful country, its majestic, serene, and the sights, smells, and sounds are intoxicating - in a good way.

Saddle Mountain
Saddle Mountain
Aspen grove
Wood pecker

And of course, home away from home!

Home away from home

Poky

Edited by PokyBro, 23 October 2017 - 12:18 AM.

#240 Living The Dream

Living The Dream

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFront Range, Colorado

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:16 PM

Looks awesome!! Seriously great!  What is the countertop material? My galley is starting to come together too, won't be long now. 

My youtube channel about my Four Wheel Camper - https://www.youtube.com/c/timmorrissey

All about my camper - https://www.tgmorrissey.com/camper

Item I used in my build- http://bit.ly/TGMorrisseyParts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users