• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 dharte

dharte

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:58 PM

Hi Folks,

I am getting tired of the single cup cone and filter coffee making procedure and I saw a Coleman drip coffee maker that sits on top of the stove and can make a full pot in about 15 minutes (it's a drip system not a percolator). The picture of it on Amazon shows it on a camp stove with a single large flat grate, but my FWC stove has separate round and oval shaped grates.  Does anyone know if this will fit? All it says on Amazon is that it works for 2 or 3 burner camp stoves.

Thanks,

David

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:54 PM

I tossed mine. The newest version uses its own burner with a throwaway propane bottle. My brother is testing that one this week. I'll let you know. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:13 PM

I use my Melitta filter cone to brew a quart Thermos of coffee. Keeps it hot all day. Occasionally, I make only a cup, but usually the Thermos full.

Tried the French press, didn't like the residual grit or the flavor after some time passed. :(

Tried the Aerobie, Liked it but more fussy than the Melitta filter cone method and more difficult to clean. ^_^

Looked at the Coleman but decided that I didn't want to spend the money to try it as I didn't care for the electrical equivalents.   :blink:

If it is because I just want a quick cup of something hot besides tea because it is cold and rainy and don't want to pop the top, I can tolerate the Folger's single cup bags.  I fill a Nissan 61 oz vacuum bottle with boiling water at night and it is still hot enough for the coffee bags the next day.  :unsure:

Coffee seems to be even more personal than politics and religion. YMMV  :D

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#4 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:05 PM

I have that one and don't know if it fits.  I had a similar stove in another camper and it worked fine.  For just me, it's overkill.  I can't drink that much coffee, and enjoy other ways of making it more than the drip coffee maker.  My wife on the other hand won't let me throw it away because it works just like an electric drip coffee maker you might use at home, just slower.  She doesn't camp with me much anymore though, so it just sits in the garage taking up space.  BTW, it didn't fit perfectly it the other camper I have, but it still worked fine, it was just a little angled at times.

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:13 AM

Okay, should have been more specific. One, its huge. Takes up valuable storage space. Two, its slow even with high btu burners. Three, its kinda particular on how it sits on the burner(s). I managed to melt mine a bit which made me nervous. Pretty happy now with the melitta setup. Get it ready the night before and I'll have coffee by the time I'm ready to go out.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 dasadab

dasadab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:10 AM

I love my aeropress. Excellent flavor and almost no cleanup. Stores extremely small.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:40 PM

I use my Melitta filter cone to brew a quart Thermos of coffee. Keeps it hot all day. \\snip//

Paul

Another vote for the Melita and thermos. Get the long necked cone that fits into the neck of the thermos. BTW, the best place to find #6 filter papers is to order a box of 12 packs through Amazon.

I am haunted by waters

#8 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:11 PM

Well, seems we're giving opinions on other methods.  For one person I think the French press is hard to beat.  I have several and you can usually get a couple or three cups out of one, which works well for one person for morning coffee.

#9 dharte

dharte

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:01 PM

Thanks for the feedback ! I think I will NOT get this coffee maker, mostly because it does look big and would be hard to store in the camper.  I was looking at the Aeropress but reviews said it can only make 8-12 oz max-not enough for me and my wife.  For now I'll stick to the Melitta method but I think I will order the long neck kind and a thermos.  It gets cold too quickly just brewing it in a regular ceramic mug. 

#10 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:32 AM

I have that Coleman coffee maker.  I loved using it in my prior hard side camper, since there was convenient storage for it right over the stove.  It can be used on the larger of the two FWC burners.  Like was posted above, it take a lot of space to store and so I no longer use it in my FWC. It was nice not to have to mess with it while it brewed.

I used to put the coffee into a big thermos, either from the Coleman, or from a large drip device.  Now I just make two batches into a 30 oz. drip device for the two of us. 

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users