36 replies to this topic

#1 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:27 AM

Since I got my FWC on my truck, I've been wanting a better way to pack my gear in the truck (and travel with the dogs)

A month ago or so, I took the rear seats out and have been researching platform ideas. I found a lot of great photos and started to plan. 

As a lot of early planning goes, my plans were bigger than my stomach... er... my plans were bigger than my eyes... um. My plans were fairly grandiose. 

My ultimate goal was economy of cost and a functional and secure platform. 

I was planning to just take some plywood for a top, and some 2x4s for legs. One night a couple of weeks ago, I found this metal frame in an alley, and decided to use it. It'll definitely give me a stronger backbone than just plywood. 

IMAG9175.jpg

The only problem was that it was about 6" too wide and so it stuck out the truck door. That wasn't going to work. 

A friend had a cut-off wheel and mig welder, so I borrowed his tools and set to work. 

Got the extraneous pieces cut out.

IMAG9177.jpg

and it was time to do some hoopty welding.

There are no photos of my wields because I'm terribly out of practice and my beads were rather ugly.

I did have at least one good run tho  ;)

Hey! It fits now! Yay!

IMAG9192.jpg

Yesterday, I went to Home Depot, picked out some 1/2" plywood, and had them cut it to size there (what a great service! Woot!)

You can see those triangle tabs sticking up on the frame? I left those on to use as tie-down points for whatever stuff I pack in there, but it meant that I needed to cut some holes in the wood top for them to fit through. 

After my grandpa died in 2001, I got his red Craftsman toolbox and some of his tools, including his old jigsaw.

IMAG9274.jpg

Unfortunately, somewhere over the years, the set-screw got cross-threaded, so the damn blades wouldn't stay in and kept stripping out. I got some cuts done before the cussing commenced, then the impatience set in and I took a rather large drill bit to the cut.

That left me with some rather ugly areas and it still wasn't wide enough.

IMAG9277.jpg

I sent a friend a text message and luckily, he had a brand new Black and Decker I could use! Yay!

Bing, bang, boom! Zippo, Presto! Had it done in just a couple of minutes.

Still ugly, but functional. I'm okay with that. 

IMAG9280.jpg

The guy at Home Depot had recommended I use a piano hinge for this to give me a more solid and less flexy movement. Seemed like a good idea...

IMAG9282.jpg

Until it wasn't.

IMAG9283.jpg

Der. Measure twice! Gotta remember that....

Back to Home Depot to get some different hinges. I got a three pack and quickly discovered that the screws were too long for the top (went through the wood, and pushed up against the metal) and that I didn't have the right drill bit to make starter holes for the screws in the metal of the platform. 

Fergeddabouddit. It was getting too hot to be working outside anymore anyway, so I decided to do hinges later. I do want to put them in though so that I can have decent access to the built in cubbies on the floor.

(please pardon the dirty - got this pic right after I took the first seat out. Built in cubbies: )

IMAG8635.jpg

So I got the platform set in the truck

IMAG9286.jpg

and put my stuff back in.

IMAG9289.jpg

Works!

A few things I want to do:

- I need to get a better drill bit to make holes in the metal part for the hinge screws

- I'd like to cover the wood with some cloth for splinter avoidance

- A better way to bolster the frame legs other than pieces of 2x4

- Vaguely considering making an upper shelf so things aren't just stacked up and I can utilize the space more efficiently. 

- Need to figure out a good way to secure the platform to the truck and 'stuff' to the platform

(I'm paranoid about getting into an accident and having stuff flying about inside. Saw a video in EMT class years ago about an unseatbelted back seat person who bounced around the car in an accident and killed the other three people. Eep) 

Cayuse suggested I put thin closed cell foam for the top of the wood before I put the fabric cover on to make it more comfy for Argos doggie. That's a good idea because then I don't have to deal with the clumsy dog bed back there. 

When I took the seats out, I left the outside mounts in. I can use those as mounting points for the platform but have to figure out how, exactly. I'm thinking zip-ties won't do the trick. (Also, should have a mount forward too for better anchor of everything....)

Considering turnbuckles, hose-clamps....

IMAG9296.jpg

IMAG9295.jpg

IMAG9297.jpg

Edited by hoyden, 27 June 2016 - 03:29 AM.

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#2 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:44 AM

10 points for tackling the job!  Bonus points for using tools inherited from grampa!

Suggestion: If the platform is high enough, it doesn't have to hinge to access the storage compartments beneath.

[I did same mod in a Tundra, but only did the platform on one side, but to accommodate only one 40# hound]

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#3 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:49 AM

10 points for tackling the job!  Bonus points for using tools inherited from grampa!

Suggestion: If the platform is high enough, it doesn't have to hinge to access the storage compartments beneath.

[I did same mod in a Tundra, but only did the platform on one side, but to accommodate only one 40# hound]

Thanks! It's been fun, even with the frustrating.  :)

Oh! Good point on "high enough" 

I could weld some longer legs on. Then my attaching to the seat mounts plan will change.

I'm still considering doing an upper shelf but only on the side behind driver's seat so that Argos will have a comfy spot behind passenger side. 

How'd you secure the platform to the truck?

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:14 AM

Yes!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:58 AM

Thanks! It's been fun, even with the frustrating.  :)

Oh! Good point on "high enough" 

I could weld some longer legs on. Then my attaching to the seat mounts plan will change.

I'm still considering doing an upper shelf but only on the side behind driver's seat so that Argos will have a comfy spot behind passenger side. 

How'd you secure the platform to the truck?

My system is hybrid:  thin plywood supported by 1x2 wood legs on the outbound passenger side and a vertical plywood panel in the inside of the cab.  I tie down the wood legs crosspiece (all are bolted connections using 1/4" bolts and nylock bolts) with a bit of 4mm cord I had laying about.  In fact, the entire set up is sourced from odd bits in my garage.  

But, I digress.  The platform is secured with the cord tie off to a truck mount and by adjusting the passenger seat snugly back and reclined tightly against the ply platform.  It's pretty solid and does not move around when Callie is riding up there.  I made a nook for her splash-proof water dish on the platform too.  

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#6 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:28 AM

I LOVE the fact that you found the metal frame in an alley.  I'm no stranger to finding things and giving new life to them either.  Along those lines, I hope you didn't throw grandad's jig saw away because there's a cheap fix for that stripped set screw.  Go to Home Depot/Lowe's/Harbor Freight and buy a tap kit.

Tap Tool.jpg

You just screw this threaded tool into the hole and it'll re-thread it (probably to a slightly larger hole).  A single tap kit is only $5-7 and I'm sure grandpa would approve.  

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:01 PM

The idea of removing the "rear" seat is a great one.

Since we are just "two",it gives us some nice convenient space to keep clothes/other things organized.

Only one thing, hope I remember how to put it all back together if I need to.

Good luck with the space.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:09 PM

The idea of removing the "rear" seat is a great one.

Since we are just "two",it gives us some nice convenient space to keep clothes/other things organized.

Only one thing, hope I remember how to put it all back together if I need to.

Good luck with the space.

Frank

The seats were surprisingly easy to remove, although in order to reach a middle bolt, I had to pop off the back panel. That was unnerving because while it has two (three?) screws, it also is held in by those annoying plastic fasteners that always seem to break no matter how careful you are pulling. 

Thanks!

I'm thinking perhaps a couple of larger tubs, bolted to the plywood, might not be a bad solution to the "loose stuff flying around the cabin if crash"

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:17 PM

The seats were surprisingly easy to remove, although in order to reach a middle bolt, I had to pop off the back panel. That was unnerving because while it has two (three?) screws, it also is held in by those annoying plastic fasteners that always seem to break no matter how careful you are pulling. 

Thanks!

I'm thinking perhaps a couple of larger tubs, bolted to the plywood, might not be a bad solution to the "loose stuff flying around the cabin if crash"

We use "plastic file drawers",3 high. Wal-Mart has a good selection. We have one each facing out so when you open the "back door" it's easy to get into the drawers. This has worked well for us since I first did this mod to the Ranger truck when we got the camper.

Now that we have a Tundra AC there is even more room. Recently I added a low wide 2 drawer ,with a 3rd drawer cut down on top,into the middle ,where I used to keep the Truckfridge cooler.This gives us nice storage for some extra clothes and on top maps and things like cameras,binoculars ,loose things that you might want while on the road.

We have used this "system" for going on 7 years and with a change here and there it has worked very well for us.

We have no use for the back seat since it's only the two of us. We still try to limit what we bring even though we have lots of storage space.

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#10 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:45 PM

We use "plastic file drawers",3 high. Wal-Mart has a good selection. We have one each facing out so when you open the "back door" it's easy to get into the drawers. This has worked well for us since I first did this mod to the Ranger truck when we got the camper.

Now that we have a Tundra AC there is even more room. Recently I added a low wide 2 drawer ,with a 3rd drawer cut down on top,into the middle ,where I used to keep the Truckfridge cooler.This gives us nice storage for some extra clothes and on top maps and things like cameras,binoculars ,loose things that you might want while on the road.

We have used this "system" for going on 7 years and with a change here and there it has worked very well for us.

We have no use for the back seat since it's only the two of us. We still try to limit what we bring even though we have lots of storage space.

I've got a plastic drawer in my camper for my kitchen stuff (cups, cookware, etc) but I didn't think it would be sturdy enough for the back seat stuff which is heavier (levelers, etc)

Although, I suppose I don't have much that's too terribly heavy. My toolboxes are on their own. Same with medical kit. Hm. Might revisit that drawer idea and really see what all I have in back that would be too heavy. I am not fond of totes because I really dislike digging around in a box for things. Plus, I'm short so I'd need to get my step-stool from camper in order to find stuff in a back-seat tote!  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users