28 replies to this topic

#11 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:29 PM

I've had good luck with this LED headlamp (the lime-green HD Plus model). I like its one-touch-off feature but it takes a bit of mental adjustment. 

The headlamp has four light modes, including red.  The trick you have to learn is to decide what mode you want before turning it on.  If you click once, you get red.  If you just leave it alone for two seconds at that point, your next click will turn it off (not advance to the next mode).  That's very handy for preserving your night vision.

For the other modes, you click the number of times necessary to get to the mode you want (from OFF).  For reading, I know I click four times for flood-only, then hold down for dimming.   After I'm done reading, one click turns it off.

The spotlight is 200 lumens and supposedly good for 70 meters.  I tend to use flood mode most of the time I'm out at night but will click on Spot if I want to look for those spooky red eye reflections out there in the scary woods.

The headband is comfortable and I like how far the light tilts out from the battery-pack to adjust the light-angle down in front of you.  Battery changes are easy.

I believe I bought mine at Lowe's or Home Depot. About $20.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#12 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:58 PM

My wife purchased the Greenlight Planet - Sun King Mobile

While driving we have the solar panel on the dash, then when we camp the light goes into the camper with us.

She uses it on the table, and because it's closer to what she is looking at, it's a bit brighter than my ceiling mounted LED's. It also can charge our smart phones. 

#13 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:28 PM

Anytime I go to Harbor Freight during a sale, I pick up a couple of these little 27 led lights, they have magnets so you can stick them to camper jacks, etc.  and/or little hooks to hang them.  Not great but cheap and available enough to have a few.  Some of their sales they will be 2 for 1 at the sale price or free when you buy $xx amount.

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#14 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:23 PM

@ Old Crow:  On your 2 folding panel lanterns I'll presume you tried this?  (from another forum's comments):   "It arrives from the factory in 'try me' mode. Remove all batteries and put them back in... no more cutoffs or flashing.  This technique also works when the batteries are going low and begin to flash. Be sure to dim it slightly and the battery life will be extended." 

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#15 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:52 PM

@ Old Crow:  On your 2 folding panel lanterns I'll presume you tried this?  (from another forum's comments):   "It arrives from the factory in 'try me' mode. Remove all batteries and put them back in... no more cutoffs or flashing.  This technique also works when the batteries are going low and begin to flash. Be sure to dim it slightly and the battery life will be extended." 

Thanks for the tip, RicoV!  

Yeah, I'm confident I did indeed disable 'try me' or 'demo' mode.  I used the first lantern successfully for a few months with no issues.  When it started the odd behavior my first thought was the batteries must be low but new ones didn't help.  I also tried running it with only four batteries (it can use either four or eight) but that didn't change anything.  When I called it in, the customer service person also led me through the demo-disable process yet again and ultimately said the lantern was defective.

The second one also seemed to switch out of demo mode OK but failed its first longer test by shutting itself down in about ten minutes.  Subsequent starts sometimes worked, sometimes didn't. 

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#16 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:15 PM

I finally had to quit cold turkey.

S5300060.jpg

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#17 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:39 PM

Great idea for a thread!

I'll kick off with one of the standard items we carry with us.

BD headlamp with red LED option.  Lightweight, both bright and dimmable, with red LED for optimal night sky viewing.

This is what I use, too. I used Petzls at work, but after we got a batch with bad switches, I switched to the Black Diamond for my personal headlamp. I'm very pleased with it.

When I am backpacking, I wrap the headlamp around a translucent water bottle, with the light pointing into the bottle, and it make a very good diffuse tent lamp.

Part of the camping experience for me is enjoying the night. I'm glad to have a headlamp to find my way around, but I'm also glad to turn it off and let my eyes adapt to the dark. I try to avoid lights that are too bright. To be honest, I cringe when I see ads for the super-bright LED flashlights. One flash in the eyes and your night vision is gone for several minutes.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#18 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:48 AM

When I am backpacking, I wrap the headlamp around a translucent water bottle, with the light pointing into the bottle, and it make a very good diffuse tent lamp.

-----snip----

^^Yes!^^  Works in the camper for indirect lighting as well.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#19 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:59 AM

<snip>

Part of the camping experience for me is enjoying the night. I'm glad to have a headlamp to find my way around, but I'm also glad to turn it off and let my eyes adapt to the dark. I try to avoid lights that are too bright. To be honest, I cringe when I see ads for the super-bright LED flashlights. One flash in the eyes and your night vision is gone for several minutes.

x2

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#20 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:06 AM

This goes for me too. I learned as a kid that I could see way better at night without a flashlight once my eyes adjusted to the darkness, which can take some time just sitting in the dark. I passed that lesson on to my kids at a young age. The red light solution came to me much later. We rarely use flashlights unless truly necessary.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users